Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by Flex »

Again, Magary is a liar. He doesn't have any interactions like he's describing.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 4:44pm
Again, Magary is a liar. He doesn't have any interactions like he's describing.
Quiet, you—we're mocking Hoy here.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I got a 4 pack and now I'm on #4. I probably shouldn't have had all 4. Its more of a dessert beer. At 8% abv it's a little stronger than your average beer.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Interesting. I miss Harpoon.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 4:30pm
Magary to Hoy: Drop dead. :shifty:
Who’s worse? Beer Dorks or Bourbon (or Rye or American Whiskey or whatever) Dorks? I mean, I’m sure everybody agrees that Scotch Dorks are the worst, but I’m having trouble figuring out who’s the runner up for last place.
I have met beer snobs. I have met bourbon bastards who think that bourbon is the great American novel of liquors. I have even engaged in both these forms of snobbery myself.

My verdict: beer snobs are worse, if only because there are so MANY of them. Give any asshole a pricey IPA and suddenly they turn into Jim Koch, waxing on insufferably about hoppiness for hours on end. Meanwhile, I’m just trying to get drunk here. I like fancy beers and I’m glad that self-appointed brewmasters saw fit to churn out 50 billion different microbrews for American consumption. But enough is enough. Calm down with the beer snobbery. Don’t make me agree with a stupid Dilly Dilly ad.

It’s beer. Filing bank statements may be an unnecessary side effect of aging, but treating beer like jazz doesn’t have to be. Growing up, beer was cheap shit you drank so that you could vomit. That was the MAGIC of it. I refuse to let some beer snob analyze the fun out of such an inherently goofy and idiotic beverage. It’s fun to obsess over things, but don’t do it at the expense of me playing slap cup with a case of Miller Lite.

Bourbon, particularly cheap bourbon, is also used by enterprising drunks primarily as a way of getting drunk quickly. The bouquet of said bourbon is beside the point. HOWEVER, nice bourbon tends to be pricier than nice beer, and it tends to be consumed by older people, people more inclined to snobbery. I expect whiskey people to be snooty about their liquor. Whereas beer snobs can suddenly materialize at picnics and behind the bar at brewpubs and anywhere else that would be diverting and harmless if Vince didn’t decide that HERE was the best place to lecture everyone about German beer purity laws. Over the past two decades, beer snobbery has become a national epidemic. I’m ready for Juul nnobbery to take its place. My kids will be at college one day and some asshat will regale them with his review of a fiddlehead fern-flavored vaping oil. That guy will suck.
https://adequateman.deadspin.com/what-i ... 1833059183
Man I haven’t heard a proper snob get worked up about the reinheitsgebot or the IBU wars since the first Obama term.

Was that sufficiently snobby?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 1:07am
Man I haven’t heard a proper snob get worked up about the reinheitsgebot or the IBU wars since the first Obama term.

Depends on whether you mourn that or are relieved.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 11:38pm

I got a 4 pack and now I'm on #4. I probably shouldn't have had all 4. Its more of a dessert beer. At 8% abv it's a little stronger than your average beer.
Thous looks delicious.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 7:38am
matedog wrote:

Nah, just shows that he's out of touch. Modern day beer nerd issues include: people lining up for haze can releases, the proliferation of pastry stouts, and aftermarket Loon prices.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 11:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Nah, just shows that he's out of touch. Modern day beer nerd issues include: people lining up for haze can releases, the proliferation of pastry stouts, and aftermarket Loon prices.
I don't know what any of that means. But I'm pretty good with it, too.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Can we add sour beer to that list? I typically just buy my beer based on how cool the label looks - which led me to purchase a sour beer last fall. I took one swig and poured the rest down the sink.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 12:12pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Can we add sour beer to that list? I typically just buy my beer based on how cool the label looks - which led me to purchase a sour beer last fall. I took one swig and poured the rest down the sink.
Love love love me some proper barrel aged sours. Probably my favorite style of beer. Kettle sours are subpar versions that I could do generally do without. It is a very different flavor profile that throws people off. It's really hit or miss and I've found particularly older people are far less likely to enjoy them.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 12:33pm
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Love love love me some proper barrel aged sours. Probably my favorite style of beer. Kettle sours are subpar versions that I could do generally do without. It is a very different flavor profile that throws people off. It's really hit or miss and I've found particularly older people are far less likely to enjoy them.
I've just never been able to get behind sour beer. It's really the only kind I don't like drinking and I'm not too old! ;)

matedog

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 12:42pm
matedog wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've just never been able to get behind sour beer. It's really the only kind I don't like drinking and I'm not too old! ;)
Oops, didn't mean that as a dig. I actually have no idea how old you are.

I know plenty of older dude beer nerds that go gaga for lambic. That being said, getting my parents or my in laws into sours has been impossible. Bourbon barrel stouts? No problem.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I like a nice high end beer but lately they do not like me. All those hazy IPAs give me the winds and the sours and high ABV malty beers give me heartburn. Call me low brow (brau?) but I am quite happy with a cold Miller Lite or Narragansett tall boy.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 2:16pm
WestwayKid wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 12:42pm
matedog wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:

Oops, didn't mean that as a dig. I actually have no idea how old you are.

I know plenty of older dude beer nerds that go gaga for lambic. That being said, getting my parents or my in laws into sours has been impossible. Bourbon barrel stouts? No problem.
Ha, ha - no worries! I didn't take it as one :)

Just turned 42, btw!