Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 May 2023, 7:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2023, 6:22am
Stout question for y'all (even IPA superfan revbob may answer): Yesterday The Boss and I had dinner at a nearby pub that also has its own line of beer. Decided to grab some to go. On the can of the stout, it says "shake before opening." Is that a perverse joke or is there some legit point to shaking a can of stout first?
I cant imagine a good reason to shake the can, but what have you got to lose
My dignity! Well, okay, maybe not that. But the contents of the can?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I have definitely never heard that you're supposed to actually shake the can before opening. Seems like a gag.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I think I’ve heard of that. Probably to mix all the yeast up?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
27 May 2023, 9:14am
I think I’ve heard of that. Probably to mix all the yeast up?
Ive seen people swirl a bottle around for this but shaking would seem to have the more obvious results

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Post-row, I decided to try one. Shook it up first with predictable results. Yeah, I get that stout is supposed to have a creamy foam, but it poured with a head like Tony Robbins. I won’t be repeating that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2023, 10:11am
Post-row, I decided to try one. Shook it up first with predictable results. Yeah, I get that stout is supposed to have a creamy foam, but it poured with a head like Tony Robbins. I won’t be repeating that.
According to reddit, preferred methods include shaking but then waiting 10 minutes; opening and puring out 2/3rs then swirling around the rest to achieve the headier top; rather than shaking, rolling the can ahead of time.

By the time those dork asses are done with that shit I'm already halfway done with my beer.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
27 May 2023, 10:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
According to reddit, preferred methods include shaking but then waiting 10 minutes; opening and puring out 2/3rs then swirling around the rest to achieve the headier top; rather than shaking, rolling the can ahead of time.

By the time those dork asses are done with that shit I'm already halfway done with my beer.
Oh Christ, I'm not look for An Experience, I just want to drink the damn thing. I hate connoisseurs.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Did you at least spray it on Mrs Medulla?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
27 May 2023, 12:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Did you at least spray it on Mrs Medulla?
She watched from a distance, knowing exactly what would happen.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

One of the best beers Ive had in a while.
Attachments
20230529_172053.jpg
20230529_171839.jpg

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

20230531_215903.jpg
Stout from Sri Lanka, 8.8% and relatively cheap at 10/4pack. I like it, reminds me of a Caribbean stout, a little sweet and slightly boozy. An old friend is coming to visit and he only drinks coors light. That shit cost $9 for a sixer, seems expensive. The store had sixers of the regular coors for $4, I'll remember that the next time the wife is looking for slug juice for the garden. Also is it really so bad that it is that cheap while coors light which is as we know is horrid costs twice as much?

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
31 May 2023, 10:49pm
20230531_215903.jpg

Stout from Sri Lanka, 8.8% and relatively cheap at 10/4pack. I like it, reminds me of a Caribbean stout, a little sweet and slightly boozy. An old friend is coming to visit and he only drinks coors light. That shit cost $9 for a sixer, seems expensive. The store had sixers of the regular coors for $4, I'll remember that the next time the wife is looking for slug juice for the garden. Also is it really so bad that it is that cheap while coors light which is as we know is horrid costs twice as much?
I used to get this at my local bodega in nyc. I haven't seen it since. I figured they just had it because the owners were from Sri Lanka.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Pretty damn good!
Attachments
IMG_3078.jpeg

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 6:34pm
Pretty damn good!
Come to Vermont and bring some. Please.

I'm actually drinking an IPA today. Im sure some hipsters would complain it isn't hoppy enough. This is an annual release to celebrate the supreme court ruling in 1967 that struck down the ban on interracial marriage.
20230612_173618.jpg