Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 7:28am
revbob wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 6:29am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 11:41pm
Good Ole IPA and low key selfie.
Zero Gravity is one of my favorite local places. A former Red Sox pitcher is known to stop in from time to time.
Is it Schilling, checking for illegals or trans people in the bathrooms?

Ha he'd be run out of town.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 10:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Zero Gravity is one of my favorite local places. A former Red Sox pitcher is known to stop in from time to time.

Ha he'd be run out of town.
Greatest State in the Union.™
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Schilling's is a nice brewery over in New Hampshire.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 12:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
That's a gorgeous location.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Speaking of beautiful breweries, Ommegang is one i'd love to visit assuming they'll weather the tough times they are having:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 12:09pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 12:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
The Whetstone in Brattleboro has a similar setup. They are on the CT River and the VT/NH state line runs thru it. Great food and beer if you're in the area.

I can't seem to post link all of a sudden though

BostonBeaneater

matedog wrote:

The stretch from Bobbington, VT straight across to Bethel, Maine is some beautiful country. Cow Hampshire can get a little Trumpy.

matedog

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 4:03pm
matedog wrote:

The stretch from Bobbington, VT straight across to Bethel, Maine is some beautiful country. Cow Hampshire can get a little Trumpy.
I'll get there some day. It looks like it'd give me a chance to go to Hill Farmstead:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Driving to Hill Farmstead (and then spending time there) was a truly wonderful time. Highly recommend it.

Had Pliny the Younger at a tapping yesterday, first time I've ever had it. Real nice.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater

I was up that way a couple of years ago but they were closed for the pandemic. I did get to have some of their brew from a local store, excellent stuff.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 4:31pm
Had Pliny the Younger at a tapping yesterday, first time I've ever had it. Real nice.
Saw your check ins. The expansion they did a few years ago is really paying off! I had been maybe five years not having it, but was able to get it a couple times two years without much hassle. It's nice when good things aren't hard to get. :cool:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So people going to Hill Farmstead but not giving their uncle revbob a call? For shame!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Got to try some old beer recently:
2022 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine vs. 2012.

Bigfoot and American style barleywines are pretty abrasive for me. I always find the excessive bitterness mixed with that heavy malty backbone is just a big, harsh flavor that I don't love. Theoretically, the hops and bitterness should subside with age and I've had some 5-7 year old Bigfoots that have softened. This one was too old though. Oxidation dominated so there was a sherry flavor that just dominated and I think did not mesh well with the base beer. It was fun to try side by side with the fresh version because they were dramatically different beers, neither of which I loved, but I found the 2022 to be slightly preferable.

Also got revisit Lost Abbey's Cable Car Kriek 2011 and 2021:
The 2011 is/was a white whale. I bought a bottle in 2013 for $50 and drank it about a year later with my now wife on a vacation. The beer has sold for as high as $1,500, so I'm dumb. The brewery found an old keg recently, bottled it and sold it for a fairly steep price (ironically about $50/bottle, but 375mL, not 750mL like before). So I got to revisit this beer along side the first time they've re-brewed it. The 2011 still tasted great, but oxidation was definitely present. Unlike the Bigfoot, the oxidative flavors were more complimentary with the cherry (Montmorency variety I assume) flavors. That being said, I still preferred the re-brew as it was really bright and fruity and the oaky vanilla Cable Car base was nicely present. The beer nerds I was with generally preferred the older vintage for what it's worth.

BostonBeaneater

Utah
Attachments
5D7F895F-4B63-4325-B435-D3A0DB40AA1C.jpeg

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote: