Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 7:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 5:21pm
If the worst happens, it won't be your fault. Dumping extra work on people is the equivalent of setting someone up to fail. If your boss is even modestly competent, they'll realize that cutting staff create its own difficult environment.
Yeah I think my direct boss went to bat for me during this last layoff period so I think she wants me to succeed. Having a good work ethic pays off even though I resent it, I guess. The Executive team says they were very strategic about this round of layoffs, projecting out for three years on it so I'm safe until then at least, unless something explodes. At this point I'm starting to get some seniority so that's valuable to them too, I think.
The highlighted part especially resonates. I'm habitually an employee with a cynical attitude who can still be relied upon to do things right out of personal pride. I just want my boss to leave me the fuck alone to do my work. If I need something, I'll call you. It's funny the number of bosses who care more about the theatre of supplication than the effectiveness of work.
You and I will fully cement our alliance, like Flex and Wolter or Heston and Tom. Team NobodyLikesOurMusic!
Ha, even you don't like some of the stuff I like!
And vice versa. Jerk. :cool:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 7:16pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If the worst happens, it won't be your fault. Dumping extra work on people is the equivalent of setting someone up to fail. If your boss is even modestly competent, they'll realize that cutting staff create its own difficult environment.
Yeah I think my direct boss went to bat for me during this last layoff period so I think she wants me to succeed. Having a good work ethic pays off even though I resent it, I guess. The Executive team says they were very strategic about this round of layoffs, projecting out for three years on it so I'm safe until then at least, unless something explodes. At this point I'm starting to get some seniority so that's valuable to them too, I think.
The highlighted part especially resonates. I'm habitually an employee with a cynical attitude who can still be relied upon to do things right out of personal pride. I just want my boss to leave me the fuck alone to do my work. If I need something, I'll call you. It's funny the number of bosses who care more about the theatre of supplication than the effectiveness of work.
Definitely one of the reasons I've stuck with this org for as long as I have. It's not a big deal if I cut out a little early, show up a little late, or whatever, as long as my work gets done on time and at whatever standard we've set for ourselves. I loathe being in a position where I have to work nights or weekends to get a big or rush project done, because it sets a precedent. But it does seem to drive home how reliable I am. I don't mind it once in a while if it keeps me from having to do interviews.

One of the people we lost in the layoffs was my direct manager. He was the best I ever had because he actually knows how to MANAGE, rather than just being some kind of despot, as you mentioned.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 7:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Definitely one of the reasons I've stuck with this org for as long as I have. It's not a big deal if I cut out a little early, show up a little late, or whatever, as long as my work gets done on time and at whatever standard we've set for ourselves. I loathe being in a position where I have to work nights or weekends to get a big or rush project done, because it sets a precedent. But it does seem to drive home how reliable I am. I don't mind it once in a while if it keeps me from having to do interviews.

One of the people we lost in the layoffs was my direct manager. He was the best I ever had because he actually knows how to MANAGE, rather than just being some kind of despot, as you mentioned.
One of the things I like about teaching—apart from the students, whom I generally like, and getting to be a geek about the stuff I'm a geek about—is I have a fair degree of, if not independence, separation from a boss. I don't make trouble and I'm responsible for my students, so as long as I'm left alone I'm happy. I like freelance editing for the same reason. I can always adapt to the work, but I have an impossible time dealing with shitty bosses. I'm in a completely lucky situation where the Boss makes enough for the household, so my generally meagre income is gravy, and I can pursue work in a way that it's primarily about satisfaction.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 7:55pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

One of the things I like about teaching—apart from the students, whom I generally like, and getting to be a geek about the stuff I'm a geek about—is I have a fair degree of, if not independence, separation from a boss. I don't make trouble and I'm responsible for my students, so as long as I'm left alone I'm happy. I like freelance editing for the same reason. I can always adapt to the work, but I have an impossible time dealing with shitty bosses. I'm in a completely lucky situation where the Boss makes enough for the household, so my generally meagre income is gravy, and I can pursue work in a way that it's primarily about satisfaction.
You lucky devil. I have a bit of a built-in hatred of authority that's only strengthened as I've gotten older. I don't think on a 1:1 basis adult should be telling any other adult what to do other than whatever guidance they might need to finish the job. I'm not going to bow down before some Peter Principle motherfucker.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 7:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

You lucky devil. I have a bit of a built-in hatred of authority that's only strengthened as I've gotten older. I don't think on a 1:1 basis adult should be telling any other adult what to do other than whatever guidance they might need to finish the job. I'm not going to bow down before some Peter Principle motherfucker.
You sound like a Communist, boy. But, yeah, I'd say 90% of every job I've quit has been less about the work than my boss. And, to be fair, they've mostly been pleased by the time I've left because of my eroding attitude.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 8:04pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You sound like a Communist, boy. But, yeah, I'd say 90% of every job I've quit has been less about the work than my boss. And, to be fair, they've mostly been pleased by the time I've left because of my eroding attitude.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
Mine I think is more mistrust with hatred where it merits. I recently took a manager position because one of the previous people who held the job was such an awful person I didn't want to deal with something like that again. I basically agree with your other point. My job is to help people get their job done easier if possible, provide insight if I can based on my experience and help when they ask for it. Otherwise they are adults, professionals who know how to do their job.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Tonight’s first taste.
Attachments
288DB2D6-528C-4547-B4E9-578A54589931.jpeg

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Love revisiting classic Belgians. Westmalle does my favorite Dubbel and Tripel. Haven’t had an American dubbel that comes close.
Edit can’t fix the damn rotated pic
Attachments
598A3C63-49F6-4D10-AEE0-5871FBA8686B.jpeg
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BostonBeaneater

matedog wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 9:30pm
Love revisiting classic Belgians. Westmalle does my favorite Dubbel and Tripel. Haven’t had an American dubbel that comes close.
Edit can’t fix the damn rotated pic
Really, I find those beers taste like old cereal and unsweetened syrup.

**I always have to take screenshot of my own iphone photo to get it to sit correctly.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Visited Ska Brewing for beers and dinner tonight (outside, freezing our asses off away from the heated tarp "outdoor" seating area, as god and good pandemic hygiene intended.) I've been wanting to go here for, at minimum, 15 years. Great beers, excellent food, and amazing punk/ska aesthetics. And, yes, they were playing ska and ska-adjacent music the whole time.

Might have a few pics up later. A religious pilgrimage.
Last edited by Flex on 15 Jan 2021, 10:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 9:23pm
Tonight’s first taste.

Quality

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 10:22pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 9:23pm
Tonight’s first taste.

Quality
It's really just nice. No surprises. No challenges to the palette. Just tasty beer.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 10:21pm
Visited Ska Brewing for beers and dinner tonight (outside, freezing our asses off away from the heated tarp "outdoor" seating area, as god and good pandemic hygiene intended.) I've been wanting to go here for, at minimum, 15 years. Great beers, excellent food, and amazing punk/ska aesthetics. And, yes, they were playing ska and ska-adjacent music the whole time.

Might have a few pics up later. A religious pilgrimage.
Heck yes.

Had some of the local Off Color Brewery's Beer For Tacos today. Basically a gose with lime and salt. Pretty good and exactly the sort of thing you'd have with tacos.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 11:52pm
Sours are tough. Yeah Im drinking again. I had some good news after a shitty day so yeah Im having a few.

Switched to the Cuban rum. Wow this is good.
Let's talk hangovers! You said this one was particularly rough. What do you think kicked your ass? I find I can drink a lot (like 5-6 tallboys) and be ok so long as I stick to the same kind of drink (start with beer and stick to beer). If I drink a Manhattan and then share a bottle of wine then I am doomed in the morning.