Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by Flex »

Yeah, the idea of of booze as hangover cure has always seemed completely repulsive to me.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Long time since I've done extended boozing sessions, but i can confirm hair of the dog did often work in a certain fashion, at least for me. First one would be the toughest but they would begin to go down surprisingly smoothly soon after and large volumes could be consumed without a sizable intoxicating effect, as if drinking yourself sober in a way. Seemed like fun at the time, i suppose.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 5:14pm
Yeah, the idea of of booze as hangover cure has always seemed completely repulsive to me.
Usually by the time I'm in hangover mode, I just crave detox. So I'm in the no-hair of the dog camp.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 5:44pm
Flex wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 5:14pm
Usually by the time I'm in hangover mode, I just crave detox. So I'm in the no-hair of the dog camp.
All I want is water and it can be a challenge to keep that down. Honestly, it's the one reliable time when I believe in a higher power and I am seeking intervention.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 5:12pm
Kory wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 4:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 12:47pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 12:30pm
A lot of drunks hide it very well.
A former friend of mine, as he was speeding to the bottom, was drinking as much as the top bracket—like, a bottle of whisky and a six of beer pretty much every day—and when I'd talk to him on the phone he sounded perfectly sober. The giveaway, he later told me, was the smell. He just oozed booze. (Unless he's relapsed, which I can't see happening, he's a good 15 years sober now.)
As I recall, that's exactly the Bukowski diet.

I drink between 16–24 glasses a week, which is roughly 2–3 bottles of wine and maybe some shots of bourbon, spread out over three days. I can see the number being as high as it is there because a lot of people use drinking as a hangover cure and then it slippery slopes into full-time status.
I cannot fathom that at all. The very very completely ultra last thing my body can take during a hangover is more booze.
Once you get past the first one it's smooth sailing.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 7:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 12:30pm
A lot of drunks hide it very well.
A former friend of mine, as he was speeding to the bottom, was drinking as much as the top bracket—like, a bottle of whisky and a six of beer pretty much every day—and when I'd talk to him on the phone he sounded perfectly sober. The giveaway, he later told me, was the smell. He just oozed booze. (Unless he's relapsed, which I can't see happening, he's a good 15 years sober now.)

I drink between 16–24 glasses a week, which is roughly 2–3 bottles of wine and maybe some shots of bourbon, spread out over three days. I can see the number being as high as it is there because a lot of people use drinking as a hangover cure and then it slippery slopes into full-time status.
I cannot fathom that at all. The very very completely ultra last thing my body can take during a hangover is more booze.
I say with the utmost confidence that the first one comes up within 30 seconds and all I've done is wasted alcohol. Seriously, it takes time for me to handle water.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 7:28pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I say with the utmost confidence that the first one comes up within 30 seconds and all I've done is wasted alcohol. Seriously, it takes time for me to handle water.
I have never tried this usually because ingesting anything is likely to result in me throwing up and my fear that it would become a go to solution.

My hangover cure usually involves some water, maybe gatorade, some coke and them if things are going well maybe chocolate milk. For food believe it or not I will usually go for some fast food. Probably because making anything is too difficult but a crappy chicken sandwich and some fries usually gets me back on solid food. Potatoes in general work wonders I find. Once you keep that first bit of food to stay down its smooth sailing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 8:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I have never tried this usually because ingesting anything is likely to result in me throwing up and my fear that it would become a go to solution.

My hangover cure usually involves some water, maybe gatorade, some coke and them if things are going well maybe chocolate milk. For food believe it or not I will usually go for some fast food. Probably because making anything is too difficult but a crappy chicken sandwich and some fries usually gets me back on solid food. Potatoes in general work wonders I find. Once you keep that first bit of food to stay down its smooth sailing.
I wish I had the confidence/track record to try this. I have the stomach of European inbred royalty.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 8:31pm
revbob wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 8:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I wish I had the confidence/track record to try this. I have the stomach of European inbred royalty.
And the complexion.

But seriously give it a try, guaranteed or your money back.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Oof, having two small kids, drinking to the point of having a hangover is insanely unappealing. Sorry, not the drinking, but the hangover is unappealing.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 11:34pm
Oof, having two small kids, drinking to the point of having a hangover is insanely unappealing. Sorry, not the drinking, but the hangover is unappealing.
I think I managed it twice from 1996 to 2012 and yeah not good.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I guess I'm what you might call an "advanced drinker."
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I have an agreement with the local authorities. I don't drink, and they don't throw me in jail.
I have not had any alcohol in over 6 years since I moved to Maine. The one place I've lived where one truly NEEDS alcohol to survive, where they sell hard liquor in the supermarkets and gas stations.

Marijuana is legal here though so there's that. Give them a text or call and they deliver it to you in an hour.
By far THE best reason to live here. :mrgreen:

Back when I did drink, I had no "cure" for hangovers. Cold showers and pepsi usually did the trick for me. That and a joint ... lol
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

weller259 wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 5:26pm
I have an agreement with the local authorities. I don't drink, and they don't throw me in jail.
I have not had any alcohol in over 6 years since I moved to Maine. The one place I've lived where one truly NEEDS alcohol to survive, where they sell hard liquor in the supermarkets and gas stations.

Marijuana is legal here though so there's that. Give them a text or call and they deliver it to you in an hour.
By far THE best reason to live here. :mrgreen:

Back when I did drink, I had no "cure" for hangovers. Cold showers and pepsi usually did the trick for me. That and a joint ... lol
I've reached a similar agreement with everybody in my life, no booze or other "mind altering substances" for over 32 years and amazingly enough, people treat me better...go figure.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 2:57pm
I guess I'm what you might call an "advanced drinker."
Akin to "career criminal."