Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 4:41pm
Boddington wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 4:29pm
Picked up the stuff to make some Negronis. I'm sort of beer'd out at the moment (although I love me the pumpkin beers, which I know many, many folks hate, but Schlafly and Pumking are always delicious) and wine was getting too expensive for what I liked and didn't give me headaches (for some reason my mother's side of the family doesn't react very well to red wines but the expensive ones don't seem to give me issues...why are all the good things expensive?). And as it isn't 90+ degrees outside (and if we're lucky this stretch is going to continue for at least a week) I figure a cocktail to enjoy outside in the evenings is a good thing.
How can someone called Boddington be beer’d out 😳
Boddington is more water than beer to be fair.

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

BitterTom wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 4:56pm
101Walterton wrote:
Boddington wrote:
Picked up the stuff to make some Negronis. I'm sort of beer'd out at the moment (although I love me the pumpkin beers, which I know many, many folks hate, but Schlafly and Pumking are always delicious) and wine was getting too expensive for what I liked and didn't give me headaches (for some reason my mother's side of the family doesn't react very well to red wines but the expensive ones don't seem to give me issues...why are all the good things expensive?). And as it isn't 90+ degrees outside (and if we're lucky this stretch is going to continue for at least a week) I figure a cocktail to enjoy outside in the evenings is a good thing.
Delicious water.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Boddington wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 4:58pm
BitterTom wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Boddington wrote:
Delicious water.
Used to be before they moved to Wales and lowered the ABV.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Curious to know what are some of the better well known ales you'd get in the high street pubs?

The only draught beers i can access nearby are John Smiths (total piss, obviously) and Abbott which is ok, though it means going to a wetherspoons which does not make me happy.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 5:06pm
Curious to know what are some of the better well known ales you'd get in the high street pubs?

The only draught beers i can access nearby are John Smiths (total piss, obviously) and Abbott which is ok, though it means going to a wetherspoons which does not make me happy.
Newcastle Brown all the way. On draft Pedigree is good too.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

BitterTom wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 5:13pm
Low Down Low wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 5:06pm

Newcastle Brown all the way. On draft Pedigree is good too.
Yeah, love the Newky Brown every now and again, but prefer draught when i get the chance which is not often. Will look out for Pedigree next time, cheers.

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

BitterTom wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 4:59pm
Boddington wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Boddington wrote:
Delicious water.
Did it used to be higher? Here in the states the version we get is around 4.7% ABV canned. It's not my favorite english bitter export (Bluebird Bitter is, but I'm wildly uneducated about english bitters tbh despite the nickname), but this isn't a style we do a ton of around here. There are a few DC breweries that do an english bitter but not a lot and I'm usually more inclined to get myself an IPA to get tanked faster since I'm not driving in the city.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Boddington wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 5:40pm
BitterTom wrote:
Boddington wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Delicious water.
Did it used to be higher? Here in the states the version we get is around 4.7% ABV canned. It's not my favorite english bitter export (Bluebird Bitter is, but I'm wildly uneducated about english bitters tbh despite the nickname), but this isn't a style we do a ton of around here. There are a few DC breweries that do an english bitter but not a lot and I'm usually more inclined to get myself an IPA to get tanked faster since I'm not driving in the city.
That must be the good version you have over there, it's just 3.5% now and pretty much water in the UK.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 5:43pm
Boddington wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 5:40pm
BitterTom wrote:
Boddington wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Delicious water.
That must be the good version you have over there, it's just 3.5% now and pretty much water in the UK.
3.5% is considered low alcohol here.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Goes well with AC/DC and washing up. And pretty much everything, such a good drop.
Attachments
20200823_212340.jpg

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

None of these sound appealing.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I had whichever the dunkin one was they already had out, the coffee porter or whatever. it was pretty good.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 12:39pm
I had whichever the dunkin one was they already had out, the coffee porter or whatever. it was pretty good.
It was, I do like the mix of coffee and porter or stout. The thing about that kind of beer is that I find it so heavy and rich that I really just want a tiny glass of it for dessert.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 12:39pm
I'm less enthused about the jelly donut IPA, but who knows?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 12:31pm
None of these sound appealing.

Pumpkin Beer Vomit

All Pumpkin Beers make me want to throw up
All Pumpkin Beers make me sick
All Pumpkin Beers make me want to throw up
All Pumpkin Beers suck