Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 10:40pm
revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 11:52pm
Sours are tough. Yeah Im drinking again. I had some good news after a shitty day so yeah Im having a few.

Switched to the Cuban rum. Wow this is good.
Let's talk hangovers! You said this one was particularly rough. What do you think kicked your ass? I find I can drink a lot (like 5-6 tallboys) and be ok so long as I stick to the same kind of drink (start with beer and stick to beer). If I drink a Manhattan and then share a bottle of wine then I am doomed in the morning.
5 or 6 pints would be my normal limit but I had a few beers followed by a lot of rum. The rum was no doubt my downfall.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

2 days off now, should be getting sleep ready for decorating tomorrow, instead I'm on the cheap lager rocking out to Motörhead in the kitchen, fucking decent.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 9:01am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
Sours are tough. Yeah Im drinking again. I had some good news after a shitty day so yeah Im having a few.

Let's talk hangovers! You said this one was particularly rough. What do you think kicked your ass? I find I can drink a lot (like 5-6 tallboys) and be ok so long as I stick to the same kind of drink (start with beer and stick to beer). If I drink a Manhattan and then share a bottle of wine then I am doomed in the morning.
5 or 6 pints would be my normal limit but I had a few beers followed by a lot of rum. The rum was no doubt my downfall.
Yeah, beer to liquor never sicker/liquor to beer never fear

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 6:35pm
revbob wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 9:01am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah, beer to liquor never sicker/liquor to beer never fear
Any time I stray from beer in general Im playing with fire. I know this but still sometimes fall prey. What really does me in is getting to the point where I throw up. Once I do I have a hard time recovering.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Opened up one of my favorite beers tonight, had a few drinks of it and had no desire to finish it.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 11:19pm
Opened up one of my favorite beers tonight, had a few drinks of it and had no desire to finish it.
I'm sorry this happened to you.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 11:19pm
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I managed 2 last night. Im really more of a social drinker and the wife and kid dont drink.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I had two shots of Buffalo Trace last night, something I rarely do on weekdays. All of my jobs both freelance and full-time coalesced in the same night and I needed to blow off some steam after I finished.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 4:45pm
Kory wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 4:31pm
OR you're just not drinking to this level quite regularly enough. You're just not used to it.
That, too. But being old means practicing more.
I'm expecting a similar hangover tomorrow morning. Since my org laid off a bunch of people (including my dev partner) there seems to be a deficit of understanding that I'm the only dev on the team now. I'm going to need to get completely hammered tonight to get over the stress of people asking why things are taking so long, when they are the ones piling the projects and deadlines on me.
Ooof. Glad that you're still employed, but sorry that you're bearing the brunt of that loss of co-workers.

(You should listen to Godspeed tonight. :shifty: )
I did listen to that album finally. I'm surprised it hadn't been recommended to me before, I can hear a lot of my own work in it. Lots of high-concept, lengthy tracks with mood-noise bookending. Is most of their stuff this good, or was this by far their best?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 6:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
OR you're just not drinking to this level quite regularly enough. You're just not used to it.
I'm expecting a similar hangover tomorrow morning. Since my org laid off a bunch of people (including my dev partner) there seems to be a deficit of understanding that I'm the only dev on the team now. I'm going to need to get completely hammered tonight to get over the stress of people asking why things are taking so long, when they are the ones piling the projects and deadlines on me.
Ooof. Glad that you're still employed, but sorry that you're bearing the brunt of that loss of co-workers.

I did listen to that album finally. I'm surprised it hadn't been recommended to me before, I can hear a lot of my own work in it. Lots of high-concept, lengthy tracks with mood-noise bookending. Is most of their stuff this good, or was this by far their best?
A lot of fans rate it the best—I certainly do—but it's not like they've produced a bum record. Earlier stuff is more musique concrète oriented, but Allelujah marked a shift to more "song-oriented" work. I'd recommend Yanqui UXO and Luciferian Towers as the next two to sample (Yanquiu was the first record of theirs I heard and it just grabbed my imagination). But I knew you'd recognize your interests and tastes in them. Best fucking band in Canada.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 7:05pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

A lot of fans rate it the best—I certainly do—but it's not like they've produced a bum record. Earlier stuff is more musique concrète oriented, but Allelujah marked a shift to more "song-oriented" work. I'd recommend Yanqui UXO and Luciferian Towers as the next two to sample (Yanquiu was the first record of theirs I heard and it just grabbed my imagination). But I knew you'd recognize your interests and tastes in them. Best fucking band in Canada.
Even better than BNL or Rush?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 7:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Even better than Loverboy.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 7:13pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Now I know you're joking.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 7:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 7:13pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Now I know you're joking.
Okay, you got me. They're not quite as good as Loverboy.

(One of those songs that is definitely crappy, but it's actually become kinda fun with time. The "Two Princes" of the 80s.)