Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by revbob »

One thing I really miss about traveling was trying different local beers.
https://vinepair.com/articles/best-high ... ery-state/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 4:40pm
My lord, a couple of those stouts are 15%. Two of those and I'm done for the night.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 5:04pm
revbob wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 4:40pm
My lord, a couple of those stouts are 15%. Two of those and I'm done for the night.
It was one of those sample 12 packs. I had one and switched to something less lethal.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Having a friend over for halloween movies and negronis tonight.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 5:53pm
I had to google that, looks like a drink recipe you'd find in the pages of an old Playboy! Enjoy!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 6:28pm
Kory wrote:
I had to google that, looks like a drink recipe you'd find in the pages of an old Playboy! Enjoy!
Thanks! They're pleasantly bittersweet, good for dim lighting and lounging around, as you allude to.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 6:33pm
tepista wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 6:28pm
Kory wrote:
Thanks! They're pleasantly bittersweet, good for dim lighting and lounging around, as you allude to.
I can't imagine folding a fitted sheet for a heart-shaped bed.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Four days without a drink, probably the longest Ive gone in 5 years. And the first time consciously. I dont have a specific goal. It wasn't until some point yesterday that I really felt I wanted a beer. I had a bottle and an opener in hand but decided to pass and had a cup of tea instead. I dont see myself giving up drinking altogether but after a few years of regularly drinking 1 to X drinks a day its good to know I can go a while without an issue. Id also like to try and cut back on caffeine but that seems it would be harder to achieve.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 10:28am
Four days without a drink, probably the longest Ive gone in 5 years. And the first time consciously. I dont have a specific goal. It wasn't until some point yesterday that I really felt I wanted a beer. I had a bottle and an opener in hand but decided to pass and had a cup of tea instead. I dont see myself giving up drinking altogether but after a few years of regularly drinking 1 to X drinks a day its good to know I can go a while without an issue. Id also like to try and cut back on caffeine but that seems it would be harder to achieve.
I've been trying to drop weight and the #1 thing that slows me down is the beer. I am a creature of habit and ritual and the hardest part for me is doing the opposite of what comes natural. When I am done with work the natural thing is to grab a beer. It's not the beer, it's just that is what I am compelled to do when the work is done.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 2:07pm
revbob wrote:
I've been trying to drop weight and the #1 thing that slows me down is the beer. I am a creature of habit and ritual and the hardest part for me is doing the opposite of what comes natural. When I am done with work the natural thing is to grab a beer. It's not the beer, it's just that is what I am compelled to do when the work is done.
Yeah, that's part of it for me. At least maybe the first one. When covid/work from home started I would officially end the work day with a beer. And when I cook I usually have a beer, add a muliplier if Im grilling. And maybe while relaxing after dinner have another. So I'm just being more mindful and checking myself...

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
Glad to hear you are being cognizant of your drinking and cutting back has been successful. Given my family history and my beer hobby, it's something I'm always a bit paranoid about and I guess that's not a bad thing.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 6:44pm
revbob wrote:
Glad to hear you are being cognizant of your drinking and cutting back has been successful. Given my family history and my beer hobby, it's something I'm always a bit paranoid about and I guess that's not a bad thing.
Yeah I've got similar concerns/situations.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
Over the 'demic, I found a schedule that seems to work for me, which is that I only drink on Fri–Sat. This mostly helps stem the desire for drinking during the week, mostly because I have a full bottle of wine on both days. But I make it a sort of ritual thing that includes a definite start time, and then a string of filmed concerts and then movies. Gives me something to look forward to and makes midweek a bit easier (though weed helps there too).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 5:26pm
revbob wrote:
Over the 'demic, I found a schedule that seems to work for me, which is that I only drink on Fri–Sat. This mostly helps stem the desire for drinking during the week, mostly because I have a full bottle of wine on both days. But I make it a sort of ritual thing that includes a definite start time, and then a string of filmed concerts and then movies. Gives me something to look forward to and makes midweek a bit easier (though weed helps there too).
One thing Ive learned is the triggers for lack of a better term. Different physical, hiking, biking or social activities, end of work day, dinner prep, less harmonious discussions with the missus.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Im having tea and biscuits.