Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by WestwayKid »

BitterTom wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 7:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 5:42pm
Never been big on gin. Nothing wrong with it, but it's always been kind of a blah booze. My nephew dumped his excess booze on us when he moved last month, including a small bottle of gin. I've cracked it open and it's actually not bad with a splash of Fresca. Nothing I'd buy, but it seems a decent way of working thru the bottle.
Gin seems to be massive over here at the moment, go to any decent bar and there's at least half a dozen different choices, different flavours etc. I've been soured by it from a few years back in my student days at a 'stock exchange' night. So the more popular drinks would go up in price the more people bought them and the ones nobody wanted shot down. Which lead to me choosing gin reduced to 60p a shot, no mixer. Had a few too many despite it tasting foul, woke up happy I spent less than £10 but the hangover has put me off ever since.
My dad's best friend is from London - born and raised - and he's a big G&T guy. He's told me that when it comes to gin - keep it simple and stick with something like Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire. Even in the US - the shelves are full of flavored gin, artisan gin, and so on.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I love a G&T on a summer day. But flavored gin is abomination.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 9:28am
I love a G&T on a summer day. But flavored gin is abomination.
Seconded.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Last time I had gin I woke up in the laundry cupboard. Never really touched it since.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I haven't tried it since high school when I found it to be pretty awful.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 7:52pm
Gin was the first liquor I ever snuck from my dad's cabinet, maybe when I was 13. I didn't know anything about hootch, so I just slugged it back straight. Horrible burn, of course, and completely baffled me why adults were into it (well, not my parents; the liquor cabinet was basically for guests and Christmas). I kept trying and it never got better. Maybe that's why I haven't been a gin fan. Rye, on the other hand …
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 8:10pm
revbob wrote:
Gin was the first liquor I ever snuck from my dad's cabinet, maybe when I was 13. I didn't know anything about hootch, so I just slugged it back straight. Horrible burn, of course, and completely baffled me why adults were into it (well, not my parents; the liquor cabinet was basically for guests and Christmas). I kept trying and it never got better. Maybe that's why I haven't been a gin fan. Rye, on the other hand …
Yeah similar experience for me but the liquor was for my parents as well as guests. My dad had a scotch as soon as he got home.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 8:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 8:10pm
revbob wrote:
Yeah similar experience for me but the liquor was for my parents as well as guests. My dad had a scotch as soon as he got home.
My dad didn't start drinking, and even that's a stretch to say, until he retired and would have a beer (singular) after a round of golf. He was a very controlled, short man who didn't like to drop the image of seriousness and respectability. Classic overachieving eldest son of an immigrant.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 8:39am
BitterTom wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 7:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 5:42pm
Never been big on gin. Nothing wrong with it, but it's always been kind of a blah booze. My nephew dumped his excess booze on us when he moved last month, including a small bottle of gin. I've cracked it open and it's actually not bad with a splash of Fresca. Nothing I'd buy, but it seems a decent way of working thru the bottle.
Gin seems to be massive over here at the moment, go to any decent bar and there's at least half a dozen different choices, different flavours etc. I've been soured by it from a few years back in my student days at a 'stock exchange' night. So the more popular drinks would go up in price the more people bought them and the ones nobody wanted shot down. Which lead to me choosing gin reduced to 60p a shot, no mixer. Had a few too many despite it tasting foul, woke up happy I spent less than £10 but the hangover has put me off ever since.
My dad's best friend is from London - born and raised - and he's a big G&T guy. He's told me that when it comes to gin - keep it simple and stick with something like Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire. Even in the US - the shelves are full of flavored gin, artisan gin, and so on.
Bombay Sapphire is my gin of choice.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Id be in favor of anything that could improve the taste of gin.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 9:32pm
If it ain't brown, I turn it down.

I like:
Old Rum
Whiskey

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 10:32pm
revbob wrote:

I like:
Old Rum
Whiskey
With the exception of a hot buttered rum on a cold winter's evening—which practically makes a blizzard feel worthwhile—I've never quite gotten to like the flavour of rum. There's something too overpowering in the taste.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 6:21am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:

I like:
Old Rum
Whiskey
With the exception of a hot buttered rum on a cold winter's evening—which practically makes a blizzard feel worthwhile—I've never quite gotten to like the flavour of rum. There's something too overpowering in the taste.
I've really taken to rum over the past few years. It seemingly mixes with everything, though I prefer white rum to dark rum.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 10:03am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 6:21am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:

I like:
Old Rum
Whiskey
I've really taken to rum over the past few years. It seemingly mixes with everything, though I prefer white rum to dark rum.
That's actually part of my disinterest in rum. I don't drink much pop anymore, so when I drink liquor I take it neat. Which I haven't cottoned to in the case of rum.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

All this talk about liquor reminds me of a story of a former friend whose alcoholism was reaching its critical depths. His wife was a teacher while he was a house husband and wrote (he's a pretty talented fiction writer). He was putting away a 26 of rye a day, plus a lot of beer at this point, but behaviourally masked it very well. But not the smell. One night, when getting into bed, his wife said, "Ugh, you smell like a brewery." "Distillery," he corrected. "I was drinking whisky."