Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
04 Jan 2024, 7:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jan 2024, 3:03pm
For Christmas, the Boss got me a subscription to Punk and Post-Punk, an academic journal dedicated to, well, you figure it out. I gained access to a few older issues in the process and one article caught my eye: "Just a noisy hall, where there’s a nightly brawl, and all that punk: The problematic union of craft beer and punk." The abstract:
It has been claimed that craft beer and punk are bedfellows. There are large numbers of Millennials among drinkers of craft beer and fans of punk, and each can play a significant role in drinkers’ and fans’ identities. Communities are built around the appreciation of each, and precision is important. Subtle distinctions between different craft beers are magnified to craft beer drinkers; subtle differences in sound between different punk bands are magnified to committed punk fans. Obscure craft beers manufactured in low numbers reflect the limited run of 100 units of an album pressed on vinyl by an obscure punk band. These similarities have not gone unno- ticed by craft breweries or punk bands. Scottish brewery BrewDog uses the word ‘punk’ in its products and literature; US brewery Stone Brewing partnered with US punk band NOFX to produce a NOFX-branded craft beer. However, both breweries have suffered as a consequence. This article reflects on both breweries’ appropriation of punk and considers factors that contributed to problems that they subsequently encountered. In both cases, though in different ways, conceptions of punk that are lazy, platitudinous or both have contributed towards the issues suffered.
I'm interested mostly because I do a unit on punk business, but it ends up being all about indie labels. Something that expands things a bit could be good.
I would liken Stone to Rancid - a once vital band that still releases new stuff but mostly relies on past successes/glories. They haven't been cool to young people in a long time. I have no idea who to liken Brewdog to - some weird Scottish company that seems to have a lot of funding being inspired by American IPA and does a lot of novelty beers - The Exploited if they all came from money but had even less punk cred???

I don't see much overlap. I feel craft beer tends to have a less working class/blue collar appeal vs. drinking Pabst and Olympia.
When I eventually read the article, I'll report back. Tho Flex endorses your idea of The Exploited coming into money. Because Flex is awful.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

20240113_183136.jpg
Oddly named. You have to know the local history of the barge canal which is now an EPA superfund site. The brewery is situated in the shadow of the barge canal

That said its a tasty stout and comes in these cute 12oz cans.

Im simply glowing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 7:19pm
20240113_183136.jpg

Oddly named. You have to know the local history of the barge canal which is now an EPA superfund site. The brewery is situated in the shadow of the barge canal

Im simply glowing
I loves me stout, but oatmeal stout has been either great or terrible in my experience.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 7:51pm
revbob wrote:
20240113_183136.jpg

Im simply glowing
I loves me stout, but oatmeal stout has been either great or terrible in my experience.
I find it you drink enough of anything it's pretty good
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 9:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 7:51pm
revbob wrote:
20240113_183136.jpg

Im simply glowing
I find it you drink enough of anything it's pretty good
Look, I'm trying to be all Hoy here and pretend to be discerning about beer!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
20240113_183136.jpg

Im simply glowing
Hello,

I only know Charlotte, NC as the Queen City. Is this from Charlotte?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 10:51pm
revbob wrote:
20240113_183136.jpg

Im simply glowing
Hello,

Burlington Vermont.

Lots of Queen Cities

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 10:59pm
gkbill wrote:
revbob wrote:
20240113_183136.jpg

Im simply glowing
Hello,

Burlington Vermont.

Lots of Queen Cities
Capital of Saskatchewan, Regina, is the Queen City (Latin for queen, for Victoria).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 11:08pm
revbob wrote:
gkbill wrote:
revbob wrote:
20240113_183136.jpg

Im simply glowing
Hello,

Burlington Vermont.

Lots of Queen Cities
Capital of Saskatchewan, Regina, is the Queen City (Latin for queen, for Victoria).
I always thought the Queen City was the largest non capital but apparently not.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 11:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 11:08pm
revbob wrote:
gkbill wrote:
revbob wrote:
20240113_183136.jpg

Im simply glowing
Hello,

Burlington Vermont.

Lots of Queen Cities
I always thought the Queen City was the largest non capital but apparently not.
I assume Victoria, the capital of British Columbia, is also called the Queen City. Maybe it’s a Canadian thing.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Bill would ban sale of cold beer in Tennessee

https://www.wkrn.com/news/tennessee-new ... essee/amp/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 10:10am

Aren’t there still dry counties in Tennessee or Kentucky, almost a hundred years after the end of prohibition?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 10:16am
revbob wrote:

Aren’t there still dry counties in Tennessee or Kentucky, almost a hundred years after the end of prohibition?
Yeah like where Jack Daniels is made is a dry town or county.

I remember there being a small town in Connecticut called Wilton, that was a dry town.
Dry to damp
edit
Wilton was classified as a "dry" town until 1993, when the local ordinance was altered to permit the sale of alcoholic beverages in restaurants. The town was then referred to as "damp." On November 5, 2009, a referendum proposal was passed to allow liquor stores.[15] The town Board enacted an ordinance to allow liquor stores to sell alcoholic beverages in 2010 and since then, several stores have since opened, including Ancona's

Dry to damp but never moist.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 10:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 10:16am
revbob wrote:

Yeah like where Jack Daniels is made is a dry town or county.

I remember there being a small town in Connecticut called Wilton, that was a dry town.
Dry to damp
edit
Wilton was classified as a "dry" town until 1993, when the local ordinance was altered to permit the sale of alcoholic beverages in restaurants. The town was then referred to as "damp." On November 5, 2009, a referendum proposal was passed to allow liquor stores.[15] The town Board enacted an ordinance to allow liquor stores to sell alcoholic beverages in 2010 and since then, several stores have since opened, including Ancona's

Dry to damp but never moist.
Such an odd thing to persist. That is, you would think at some point there’d be an effort from some politically ambitious person to bring freedum to the people, etc etc.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:

I thought our liquor laws were getting gradually less dumb. This is the wrong direction!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.