IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 9:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 8:31am
Speaking of bikes, the Boss rode to work for the first time this year. She has one of those faux old-timey nerd bikes, with three gears and braking by pedaling backwards. But she's probably the only human who rides that kind without a goofy grin as she goes.
Like this?

Ha! She'd be on the ground in .15 seconds (I'd last .25). No, she rides one of these, but all black and without a dorky basket on the front.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 5:59am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 12:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 9:42pm
revbob wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 9:16pm
I did a course in my bike that I used to do all the time back in the day. It took me about 50 min to go 12.5 miles

I swear I used to be able to do that in closer to 30 min. Its mostly flat. I was also 20 something in those days.

I was passing people left and right on the first leg but started dragging on the latter half of the second leg.
If you don't cycle regularly, yeah, it's the stamina part that'll fuck ya. And 12.5 miles isn't a quick ride around the block. That's a decent distance.
I’m thinking about getting a dumpy bike to ride to the bar on. My preferred local is a 20 minute walk so I bet I could get there in 5 minutes on a bike.
Five minutes easy. How bike friendly is your neighbourhood?
I live in Boston.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 10:32am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 5:59am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 12:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 9:42pm
revbob wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 9:16pm
I did a course in my bike that I used to do all the time back in the day. It took me about 50 min to go 12.5 miles

I swear I used to be able to do that in closer to 30 min. Its mostly flat. I was also 20 something in those days.

I was passing people left and right on the first leg but started dragging on the latter half of the second leg.
If you don't cycle regularly, yeah, it's the stamina part that'll fuck ya. And 12.5 miles isn't a quick ride around the block. That's a decent distance.
I’m thinking about getting a dumpy bike to ride to the bar on. My preferred local is a 20 minute walk so I bet I could get there in 5 minutes on a bike.
Five minutes easy. How bike friendly is your neighbourhood?
I live in Boston.
All that means to me is that the roads were designed by MC Escher.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

laxman wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 8:26am
BitterTom wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 6:47am
I feel like this, my nearest is only a 5 minute walk away but it's around £3.70 a pint, not really worth it. We usually go to a good place that's a 25 minute walk. Much longer but less than £3 a pint, can't argue. ;)
Hmmm interesting; has anyone ever seen BitterTom and Bernie Rhodes in the same room at the same time? ;)
I'm probably being stupid but someone will have to explain this to me.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 4:31pm
laxman wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 8:26am
BitterTom wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 6:47am
I feel like this, my nearest is only a 5 minute walk away but it's around £3.70 a pint, not really worth it. We usually go to a good place that's a 25 minute walk. Much longer but less than £3 a pint, can't argue. ;)
Hmmm interesting; has anyone ever seen BitterTom and Bernie Rhodes in the same room at the same time? ;)
I'm probably being stupid but someone will have to explain this to me.
"Bernie Rhodes knows, don't argue." Start of Gangsters by the Specials.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Got delivered a new bike seat. Anyone who does a lot of cycling knows that spending too much time on a bike seat leads to, um, numbness in the nether regions. Like falling asleep on your arm and waking up unable to lift it. So I'm trying out a seat that has a hole cut down the middle to alleviate pressure. Crotchal freedom!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 2:24pm
Got delivered a new bike seat. Anyone who does a lot of cycling knows that spending too much time on a bike seat leads to, um, numbness in the nether regions. Like falling asleep on your arm and waking up unable to lift it. So I'm trying out a seat that has a hole cut down the middle to alleviate pressure. Crotchal freedom!
Let me know how that works. I get numb dick when I ride sometimes and it always scares me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 3:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Let me know how that works. I get numb dick when I ride sometimes and it always scares me.
Will do. I've read it mainly benefits the ladies, but I was willing to give it a shot. First ride is tomorrow.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 3:45pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Will do. I've read it mainly benefits the ladies, but I was willing to give it a shot. First ride is tomorrow.
Wait women get numb dick too?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 4:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's the nerves in the perineum that get cut off and cause the numbness.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:11pm
revbob wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 4:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's the nerves in the perineum that get cut off and cause the numbness.
:rolleyes: My bad joke.
Just did the same ride 12.5 miles in a little under an hour with a 5 min break at the half way. It felt much harder and I would have thought it took me 15 min more than it did. Was gassed near the end and my knees were aching.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:29pm
Just did the same ride 12.5 miles in a little under an hour with a 5 min break at the half way. It felt much harder and I would have thought it took me 15 min more than it did. Was gassed near the end and my knees were aching.
Even tho I bike indoor in the off-season, it's never quite the same as biking outdoors in terms of muscles, so the first 5 or 6 rides out on the road would always be a fucking grind. I'd begin thinking, fuck yeah, I've kept myself in good shape, and by the end of the ride feel like I'd done nothing for conditioning since last fall. Within a couple weeks, tho, the stamina improves.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:36pm
revbob wrote:
Even tho I bike indoor in the off-season, it's never quite the same as biking outdoors in terms of muscles, so the first 5 or 6 rides out on the road would always be a fucking grind. I'd begin thinking, fuck yeah, I've kept myself in good shape, and by the end of the ride feel like I'd done nothing for conditioning since last fall. Within a couple weeks, tho, the stamina improves.
My problem is consistency. I need to keep at it. I got home from work changed and then laid on the bed for a few minutes and started dozing off. I managed to get my ass up and out though. Tomorrow is a softball day so I probably wont ride. Im thinkg if I can do every other day that will be pretty good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
My problem is consistency. I need to keep at it. I got home from work changed and then laid on the bed for a few minutes and started dozing off. I managed to get my ass up and out though. Tomorrow is a softball day so I probably wont ride. Im thinkg if I can do every other day that will be pretty good.
Four days a week is a solid schedule, especially if there's other exercise in there. It gives your legs a chance to recover. Also, when you get back from your ride, drink a beer to rehydrate. Supposedly it's legit good for you and it's inducement to ride.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 6:03pm
revbob wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Four days a week is a solid schedule, especially if there's other exercise in there. It gives your legs a chance to recover. Also, when you get back from your ride, drink a beer to rehydrate. Supposedly it's legit good for you and it's inducement to ride.
I got that part down, very consistently.