IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 2:36pm
Sparky wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 1:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 11:51am
Sparky wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 11:40am
We have an elliptical as well, but other than warming up to go run, I can't stand working out on it, too monotonous.
Ugh, I hate ellipticals. I could be persuaded that the CIA invented them as an interrogation device.
We had a treadmill for a couple of years, I felt the same way about it!
Part of it is I hate running. I think Flex has said that cycling gets boring for him, so he runs; I'm the opposite. The scenery doesn't change fast enough for me while running.
I can see that. I just don't like how much harder hills are on bikes. Plus I got so used to biking to get around when I lived in SF, that I don't like to sweat when I bike.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 2:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 11:40am
We have an elliptical as well, but other than warming up to go run, I can't stand working out on it, too monotonous.
Ugh, I hate ellipticals. I could be persuaded that the CIA invented them as an interrogation device.
Part of it is I hate running. I think Flex has said that cycling gets boring for him, so he runs; I'm the opposite. The scenery doesn't change fast enough for me while running.
I can see that. I just don't like how much harder hills are on bikes. Plus I got so used to biking to get around when I lived in SF, that I don't like to sweat when I bike.
Hills can't be that much easier while running, can they? Plus going down a hill is a bastard while running, while cycling it's a rest opportunity without sacrificing momentum.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 2:40pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hills can't be that much easier while running, can they? Plus going down a hill is a bastard while running, while cycling it's a rest opportunity without sacrificing momentum.
Just everything is exaggerated on bikes. Uphills are way harder, but downhills are way easier. And yeah, I'm probably destroying my knees with these hill runs now.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 2:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Just everything is exaggerated on bikes. Uphills are way harder, but downhills are way easier. And yeah, I'm probably destroying my knees with these hill runs now.
That's another reason I don't like running—I always felt beat up by the experience. Presumably it gets better, but I didn't have the faith.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

When I've run on hilly terrain, not only can I feel it in my knees, but in my shins as well. I think it's from the impact force on the downhill if that makes any sense.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

matedog

Post by matedog »

Sparky wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 3:54pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

When I've run on hilly terrain, not only can I feel it in my knees, but in my shins as well. I think it's from the impact force on the downhill if that makes any sense.
Oh for sure. Downhill is much higher impact.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

matedog wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 3:57pm
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Hello,

Muscles sore from hills = great!
Joints sore from downhill = bad!
The benefit of the impact is stronger bones. Running downhill can also help develop speed (faster gait). If it's joints being an issue around the knee, cartilage may be the culprit. If so, go downhill serpentine.

matedog

Post by matedog »

gkbill wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 5:00pm
matedog wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 3:57pm
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Muscles sore from hills = great!
Joints sore from downhill = bad!
The benefit of the impact is stronger bones. Running downhill can also help develop speed (faster gait). If it's joints being an issue around the knee, cartilage may be the culprit. If so, go downhill serpentine.
Thanks Bill. Your knowledge is always impressive and helpful.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I hate running too mostly because it is boring. I guess trail running would be better but I'd rather bike. The only thing I hate more than running is walking. Unless there's a specific goal/purpose of getting somewhere.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Got a PR on my 3.75 mile run last Friday. I was shooting to break 27 minutes and did 27:02, so I'm not there yet! I suspect my speed flat 3 mile run the week before helped. Wally suggested I do faster training vs. long runs awhile ago and I never bothered since there aren't many flat places here that aren't crowded, plus I was mostly running for fun.

Mile 1 - 8:56
Mile 2 - 6:55
Mile 3 - 6:16
Mile 3.75 - 6:31 pace/mile

I've got over a year of doing this timed run and am surprised that I'm still getting PRs, though I've obviously slowed progress -
4/16/2020 - 31:50
10/16/2020 - 28:58
4/16/2021 - 27:02

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 2:20pm
Got a PR on my 3.75 mile run last Friday. I was shooting to break 27 minutes and did 27:02, so I'm not there yet! I suspect my speed flat 3 mile run the week before helped. Wally suggested I do faster training vs. long runs awhile ago and I never bothered since there aren't many flat places here that aren't crowded, plus I was mostly running for fun.

I've got over a year of doing this timed run and am surprised that I'm still getting PRs, though I've obviously slowed progress -
Is it normal or intentional to have a much slower first mile? Whether rowing or cycling, I know my first five minutes or so are a bit more sluggish as things limber up. Even when I'm pushing myself at the end, whatever the fatigue, I feel like things are more responsive.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 2:23pm
matedog wrote:

Is it normal or intentional to have a much slower first mile? Whether rowing or cycling, I know my first five minutes or so are a bit more sluggish as things limber up. Even when I'm pushing myself at the end, whatever the fatigue, I feel like things are more responsive.
Mile one is a 400+ foot elevation climb. Mile 2 is flat and the rest is 400+ foot downhill. Otherwise, it shouldn't be that extremely different. When I went to the flat area, my splits were within seconds of each other, except kicking at the end like you mention.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 2:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Mile one is a 400+ foot elevation climb. Mile 2 is flat and the rest is 400+ foot downhill. Otherwise, it shouldn't be that extremely different. When I went to the flat area, my splits were within seconds of each other, except kicking at the end like you mention.
Ah, I see. Holy fudge, starting off with a hill seems brutal to me.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Hello,

The first mile is always the hardest. I'm surprised you dropped ~2 minutes from mile 1 to mile 2. Starting with a decent hill makes the first mile doubly hard. There was a trail in Eugene that hard a real hard climb to begin - if you got past that, it was easy - really fun. I'm jealous of your times. How many miles/week are you doing?

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 2:31pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Ah, I see. Holy fudge, starting off with a hill seems brutal to me.
I don't really have an option here for where I like to run. It does help that first half mile is rolling before just the straight 1/2 mile climb between 0.5 and 1 mile. I'd also prefer it at the beginning of the casual runs vs. the end just so the end is easier.