IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 2:33pm
The Boss decided she wants to do more exercising at home, so that gave me an opening to suggest buying a rowing machine, which I've long been kinda interested in. Hoo doggies, that fucker does generate a sweat. I don't really feel much stress in my legs (perhaps because of all my cycling) but definitely in my shoulders and arms. The chief issue is that the seat on the machine ain't well padded, so I'll be liberating one of my bike's old gel seats and sit on that.
I'd imagine that works the back pretty well, too.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 6:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 2:33pm
The Boss decided she wants to do more exercising at home, so that gave me an opening to suggest buying a rowing machine, which I've long been kinda interested in. Hoo doggies, that fucker does generate a sweat. I don't really feel much stress in my legs (perhaps because of all my cycling) but definitely in my shoulders and arms. The chief issue is that the seat on the machine ain't well padded, so I'll be liberating one of my bike's old gel seats and sit on that.
I'd imagine that works the back pretty well, too.
A few hours later, I'm not feeling anything in my back, but I am feeling some stiffness in my thighs. But I read once that a rowing machine works around 80% of your muscles, so it stands to reason that something in the back is there, too.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Being officially old has turned me more and more into a baby. Our basement isn't heated, which can make cycling down there in the winter a bit rough, at least until you get your heart chugging. But it really stiffens the muscles. I finally decided to buy some cycling pants to keep my legs warm. Immediate thoughts: I feel and look ridiculous. There is not goddamned way I'd ever wear them outside the house. They do keep my legs warm, but it's taking time to get used to the tightness of the material. I hate tight clothing, so this is driving me to distraction.

With eight days left in the year, I need four more rides to reach my target, which will be a new high for distance and number of rides in a year. I expect that I'll get in six more, maybe seven by the end of the year. Next year, tho, I'll probably scale back the biking in favour of more rowing, at least during the winter.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 1:46pm
Being officially old has turned me more and more into a baby. Our basement isn't heated, which can make cycling down there in the winter a bit rough, at least until you get your heart chugging. But it really stiffens the muscles. I finally decided to buy some cycling pants to keep my legs warm. Immediate thoughts: I feel and look ridiculous. There is not goddamned way I'd ever wear them outside the house. They do keep my legs warm, but it's taking time to get used to the tightness of the material. I hate tight clothing, so this is driving me to distraction.

With eight days left in the year, I need four more rides to reach my target, which will be a new high for distance and number of rides in a year. I expect that I'll get in six more, maybe seven by the end of the year. Next year, tho, I'll probably scale back the biking in favour of more rowing, at least during the winter.
Pics, please.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 4:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Pics, please.
They'll have to be of me lying on a slab in the morgue.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 4:53pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Pics, please.
Whatever it takes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 4:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Pics, please.
Whatever it takes.
Be patient. The best gifts require patience.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 4:58pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Pics, please.
Whatever it takes.
Did you get some of these for rowing

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 5:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 4:58pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Pics, please.
Whatever it takes.
Did you get some of these for rowing

Basically, yeah. As ridiculous as they look—I'd never wear them outside—they do work.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Pics, please.
lol no
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I had no idea this thread existed. Fitness is important to me personally as well as professionally. I get in a decent cardio workout most days (I usually miss 2-3 days/year). I have no idea what to post and didn't want to scroll through all past posts. I used to run a pretty fair amount of trails (~40 miles/week) but now get in a variety of workouts. I have a decent Schwinn recumbent cycle machine, a Climb-Max stairmaster, and an Endurance treadmill. If anyone is selling a used versaclimber, I'd be interested.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

gkbill wrote:
25 Dec 2019, 1:42am
Hello,

I had no idea this thread existed. Fitness is important to me personally as well as professionally. I get in a decent cardio workout most days (I usually miss 2-3 days/year). I have no idea what to post and didn't want to scroll through all past posts. I used to run a pretty fair amount of trails (~40 miles/week) but now get in a variety of workouts. I have a decent Schwinn recumbent cycle machine, a Climb-Max stairmaster, and an Endurance treadmill. If anyone is selling a used versaclimber, I'd be interested.
Wow, that's a packed schedule.

In two of my last three lacrosse matches I have had my ribs broken. First time was a complete accident, second time was a very nasty foul. Sadly I don't have the flexibility of my youth! Consequently my running has been curtailed somewhat recently. Just took a few tentative goes outside my house. I have entered a half marathon in mid March as an added incentive to build up my running again over the next few weeks.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

In the new year, I've decided to switch from cycling in the basement to rowing in the spare room on the top floor. A couple reasons for this. One, I'm a big baby who no longer wants to deal with the cold in the unheated basement. The other is that, to my surprise, rowing is a really complete exercise. I thought I'd mainly be working my arms and upper body, but I finish my rows with achy legs. I understand why—a big chunk is pushing off the footholds—but I always thought rowing was mostly in the upper body. The only real negative is that I still haven't found a means of dealing with sore butt. Even wearing my padded cycling shorts and having a memory foam cushion on the rowing seat, my butt hurts by around 20 mins in. But otherwise, yeah, I really like what rowing offers.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 11:44am
In the new year, I've decided to switch from cycling in the basement to rowing in the spare room on the top floor. A couple reasons for this. One, I'm a big baby who no longer wants to deal with the cold in the unheated basement. The other is that, to my surprise, rowing is a really complete exercise. I thought I'd mainly be working my arms and upper body, but I finish my rows with achy legs. I understand why—a big chunk is pushing off the footholds—but I always thought rowing was mostly in the upper body. The only real negative is that I still haven't found a means of dealing with sore butt. Even wearing my padded cycling shorts and having a memory foam cushion on the rowing seat, my butt hurts by around 20 mins in. But otherwise, yeah, I really like what rowing offers.
Doc is gonna get swoll.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 11:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 11:44am
Doc is gonna get swoll.
My old approach of kicking chairs while reading was going nowhere.