IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by JennyB »

101Walterton wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 4:23pm
JennyB wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 11:32am
matedog wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 6:37pm
I quite enjoyed this mini-documentary on the 1904 Olympics marathon. Held in Jenny B's town of St. Louis in 90+ degree temps, 32 people entered and only 14 finished. The winner finished in 3 1/2 hours which was over 30 minutes slower than previous olympics marathons. He was also fed raw eggs, brandy, and fucking strychnine during the race to keep him going. A bunch of other crazy shit happened too.
Wasn't that the original title of Combat Rock? :shifty:

Question for the runners. I've decided that since I can't go to the gym for a few months, and I already walk my dog at least an hour a day, that I should try and take up running (and this will tire her out as well and a tired dog is a good dog). I even got fancy runnin' shoes and everything. My toes get really numb after awhile - any advice?
Jenny what type of dog do you have? We were told not to run with our dogs (Labrador’s) as they, and a lot of breeds, are only built for short sprints not jogging which can damage their hips.
Not really sure what she is! She is a runner though. I will ask our vet before we do anything - thank you!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

gkbill wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 12:47pm
JennyB wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 12:16pm
Flex wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 12:11pm
Yeah, could be a few things: tight shoes, subpar insoles, socks without good cushion. Might want to pick up some running socks (smartwool and darn tough make good ones), and maybe a custom insole if you determine the shoe size is correct.
I actually went to Fleet Feet and got all of the proper stuff. Maybe it's because I have such high arches in my feet? Maybe the shoes aren't properly worn in? Maybe this is a sign that I should just sit my ass on the couch?
Hello,

How long have you been working out on the new regimen? Occasionally, nerves will stretch or adapt and result in numbing. I got this after I ran barefoot on a beach (I don't run on the beach barefoot anymore). You may want to make sure you've given it a long enough period of adaption. If so, yeah - find another mode.

Be careful running with a dog on a leash. I had a friend running with a decent-sized dog on a leash get a pretty bad injury when the dog got distracted and started chasing another dog, pulling her down awkwardly off a curb.
Good advice - thank you. She is distracted by everything, but she’s only about 20 lbs. But it’s something to keep in mind, for sure.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Had the row of my life this morning. Knocked 35 seconds off my best time for a seven-mile row—33m25s, which works out to 12.57 mph—and ten seconds off my first mile—4m30s. Pretty sure a fit 20-something could do better, but for an old fucker, I'm feeling pretty good about all that.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 10:45am
Had the row of my life this morning. Knocked 35 seconds off my best time for a seven-mile row—33m25s, which works out to 12.57 mph—and ten seconds off my first mile—4m30s. Pretty sure a fit 20-something could do better, but for an old fucker, I'm feeling pretty good about all that.
Awesome man! Feels good to hit those PBs.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 11:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 10:45am
Awesome man! Feels good to hit those PBs.
Thanks! When my cats have to feast on my corpse, I want it to be somewhat nutritious for them.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I've switched from running distances to running stairs. It's way less tedious (and apparently burns more calories). I'm not sure if I'm seeing all the results I want but it's only been about 3 weeks and I only have time for Monday and Wednesday.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 2:05pm
I've switched from running distances to running stairs. It's way less tedious (and apparently burns more calories). I'm not sure if I'm seeing all the results I want but it's only been about 3 weeks and I only have time for Monday and Wednesday.
Isn't that really hard on the knees? I can see the exercise value, definitely, but it seems seriously high impact.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 2:37pm
Kory wrote:
Isn't that really hard on the knees? I can see the exercise value, definitely, but it seems seriously high impact.
Certainly running downstairs. I would assume upstairs would be less impact?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 3:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I dunno. gkbill would be our best authority here, but I would think lifting up your legs to go up stairs more than you would running on a flat surface would be hard on the knees.

That's one of the surprising effects of rowing—sore knees. That never happened with cycling.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 3:56pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I dunno. gkbill would be our best authority here, but I would think lifting up your legs to go up stairs more than you would running on a flat surface would be hard on the knees.

That's one of the surprising effects of rowing—sore knees. That never happened with cycling.
Everything I've read about it says it's low impact, and I've found that to be true in practice. If you're reasonably light on your feet, going downstairs is pretty smooth too. I think the impact of running comes from the shock of the actual hard impact of foot on ground rather than just the action of using the knees at all. I mean, use of anything is going to cause damage. I'll report back when I'm in my 50s I guess.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 6:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 3:56pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Everything I've read about it says it's low impact, and I've found that to be true in practice. If you're reasonably light on your feet, going downstairs is pretty smooth too. I think the impact of running comes from the shock of the actual hard impact of foot on ground rather than just the action of using the knees at all. I mean, use of anything is going to cause damage. I'll report back when I'm in my 50s I guess.
Interesting. Obviously the proof is in your knees, and good on you for pursuing it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

There's something unfathomable about this rowing machine. Today I tied that best time from about ten days ago. Yay for me and all that. But in between that, the times got progressively shittier to the point where I was a good five minutes slower. My exertion was the same and my technique or position on the rower couldn't have been that much off. Hell, if anything today I feel less tired than in previous days. With the bike, there was some predictability in how hard I was working and my times, but this seems more of a crapshoot.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Broke my fucking rower. Googling tells me that the spring that controls the return on the handle is made of balsa and unicorn tears. So that's fucked. Meaning I either go back to cycling or shell out for a new (and hopefully better-built) machine. Fuck.

edit: Ordered another one (different model). Rationalizing the cost by spending the bonus I'm supposed to be getting from the university for having to shift to long distance ed for the last few weeks. Don't know how much it'll cover, but I'm considering it found money.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Apr 2020, 11:44am
Broke my fucking rower. Googling tells me that the spring that controls the return on the handle is made of balsa and unicorn tears. So that's fucked. Meaning I either go back to cycling or shell out for a new (and hopefully better-built) machine. Fuck.

edit: Ordered another one (different model). Rationalizing the cost by spending the bonus I'm supposed to be getting from the university for having to shift to long distance ed for the last few weeks. Don't know how much it'll cover, but I'm considering it found money.
Maybe this is why you were seeing such variations in times etc.

I should feel more at ease with spending money on myself. Still riding my 1990ish mountain bike with a warped front sprocket/gear. Surely Ive gotten my money's worth.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Apr 2020, 5:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Apr 2020, 11:44am

Maybe this is why you were seeing such variations in times etc.
That's an interesting point. Some kind of steady slippage going on, perhaps.
I should feel more at ease with spending money on myself. Still riding my 1990ish mountain bike with a warped front sprocket/gear. Surely Ive gotten my money's worth.
If it makes you feel any better, I hate spending this money, too, even tho I know that I'll be using it. I'm pissed that this first rower ended up costing about $1 for every mile I put on it. Crappy return, tho finding out how much more I like rowing has some value.