IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 5:34pm
I don't know what to say about the self-consciousness but the shirt is supposed to work as you've described. It won't weigh a ton by collecting your sweat. That said, you may want to have a towel handy (perhaps under the rower) to collect sweat. I'm more curious to see how you feel tomorrow/after the rowing. The compression gear should aid recovery - maybe not a lot, but somewhat.
Definitely have a towel nearby for my breaks. I'll be definitely observing whether my recovery is any better. One thing about improving my technique on the rower, it takes so much more out of me. I'd like to think that sooner or later my stamina is going to catch up to improved effort, but so far I've been wiped out. Might also be summer related. I'll give it another couple weeks and if there's no improvement, I'll lower the time of my rowing so that I can do more consecutive days.
I've got a soccer camp beginning tomorrow in Chapel Hill, NC. I've been doing this camp for a number of years. It gets so hot I've actually seen a soccer ball burst from the heat on the turf. I will be sweating/rinsing my body from the inside out.
Ugh. I do not miss NC summers. There's a cling to it that is so debilitating.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Well, I'm headed off to get my meniscus in my right knee repaired this morning, I have a really early appointment with check in at 6:30 am. The last time I had this done on my left knee, I was doing some walking and light jogging in about 6 weeks, so watch out world, I'm coming back!
Actually looking forward to this, I haven't been running since about November 2020, really miss it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
09 Jul 2021, 8:43am
Well, I'm headed off to get my meniscus in my right knee repaired this morning, I have a really early appointment with check in at 6:30 am. The last time I had this done on my left knee, I was doing some walking and light jogging in about 6 weeks, so watch out world, I'm coming back!
Actually looking forward to this, I haven't been running since about November 2020, really miss it.
I assume these operations are really quick now?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Yes, general anesthesia, about 25 minutes of surgery, half hour recovery and I'm back home now, going back to bed for a bit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
09 Jul 2021, 1:25pm
Yes, general anesthesia, about 25 minutes of surgery, half hour recovery and I'm back home now, going back to bed for a bit.
You're knocked out? Huh. I would have guessed that the technique had evolved enough that it was local. But congrats on having that fixed!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2021, 1:31pm
Sparky wrote:
You're knocked out? Huh. I would have guessed that the technique had evolved enough that it was local. But congrats on having that fixed!
It's ironic and this may be the wrong thread to post this, but I woke up at 3:30 am yesterday before the surgery dreaming that I was having surgery (not my knee though) with no anesthesia. I was awake and watching, had no pain, but in the end the surgeon didn't have the correct sutures or staples, so he told me to wait, he'd be back, that's when I woke up.
Slept poorly last night, minimal pain, but couldn't get comfortable, sucks. But I re-wrapped the ace bandage this AM, not bleeding through, no discolored toes or leg and minimal swelling, so I'm pretty jazzed. Already walking on it lightly and bending it, like I said, I'm very eager to get back to running, I feel like a sloth right now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
10 Jul 2021, 9:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
It's ironic and this may be the wrong thread to post this, but I woke up at 3:30 am yesterday before the surgery dreaming that I was having surgery (not my knee though) with no anesthesia. I was awake and watching, had no pain, but in the end the surgeon didn't have the correct sutures or staples, so he told me to wait, he'd be back, that's when I woke up.
Slept poorly last night, minimal pain, but couldn't get comfortable, sucks. But I re-wrapped the ace bandage this AM, not bleeding through, no discolored toes or leg and minimal swelling, so I'm pretty jazzed. Already walking on it lightly and bending it, like I said, I'm very eager to get back to running, I feel like a sloth right now.
Sleep aside, glad to hear that physically and psychologically you're recovering well. What's the prescribed recovery time?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2021, 10:23am
Sparky wrote:
10 Jul 2021, 9:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Sleep aside, glad to hear that physically and psychologically you're recovering well. What's the prescribed recovery time?
Thanks Doc.
I had the same surgery on my left knee in 2018, followed up with 6 weeks of PT and then I was able to do a little walk / jog thing where I'd walk for 5-10 minutes, then a light jog for a minute or two, working up to 50/50. I would expect this one to go even better because I'm already trying to bend it by doing leg pumps plus I know the stretches they're going to give me, so I'm may cheat and start after the staples are removed Monday morning.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
10 Jul 2021, 10:39am
I had the same surgery on my left knee in 2018, followed up with 6 weeks of PT and then I was able to do a little walk / jog thing where I'd walk for 5-10 minutes, then a light jog for a minute or two, working up to 50/50. I would expect this one to go even better because I'm already trying to bend it by doing leg pumps plus I know the stretches they're going to give me, so I'm may cheat and start after the staples are removed Monday morning.
I imagine the second time around is better—you know what to expect, what's normal discomfort and all that. Kind of like child rearing—first one is full of anxiety, but by the third or fourth, yeah, go knock yourself out kid, just don't fall down a well.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I've been able to catch a lot more Olympic T&F events this year. Last night was a highlight with an insane 400m hurdles:

The world record was destroyed by the top 2 and #3 almost broke it. Before trials, the record was almost 30 years old. I'm excited to see what the American and the Brazilian do as well since they are still pretty young.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 12:46pm
I've been able to catch a lot more Olympic T&F events this year. Last night was a highlight with an insane 400m hurdles:

The world record was destroyed by the top 2 and #3 almost broke it. Before trials, the record was almost 30 years old. I'm excited to see what the American and the Brazilian do as well since they are still pretty young.
Amazing, especially with the high heat & humidity they've been having in Tokyo.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I'm back in the office full time, so I've reduced my runs from 3x a week down to 2x and am no longer doing my Friday timed runs. That brings my best final time to 26:39 on June 4, 2021. My first run was March 19, 2020 with a time of 34:23. I wasn't ever training too aggressively, but it was cool to see the times drop.

March 19, 2020 - 34:23 vs. June 4, 2021 - 26:39
Mile 1 - 11:36 vs. 8:36
Mile 2 - 8:38 vs. 7:02
Mile 3 - 7:52 vs. 6:17
Mile 3.75 pace - 8:24 vs. 6:21

That first mile was never easy, but it was fun getting good enough to attack it and feel strong against it, not just a "I just need to get through this shit" feeling.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 5:08pm
I'm back in the office full time, so I've reduced my runs from 3x a week down to 2x and am no longer doing my Friday timed runs. That brings my best final time to 26:39 on June 4, 2021. My first run was March 19, 2020 with a time of 34:23. I wasn't ever training too aggressively, but it was cool to see the times drop.

That first mile was never easy, but it was fun getting good enough to attack it and feel strong against it, not just a "I just need to get through this shit" feeling.
Good for you! Huge improvement in your times, I'm envious. Can't wait until I'm back to doing my old man jog routine again!
I'm up to walking 3.5 miles daily now (very slow 17:22 / per mile pace) and I have my last PT Sept 1, hopefully will be starting the jog / walk / jog thing sometime around then.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:

Good job, you old turd. Especially the psychological shift.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

matedog wrote:
I know that feeling from cycling over the last couple months. It’s definitely been a matter of learning to be patient, knowing that after the first mile or two it would inevitably become less of a struggle, my breathing would even out and any discomfort would completely disappear and I’d just be in a zone. Good job on the times.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.