IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 12:28pm
revbob wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 7:02am
Kory wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 3:07am
revbob wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 8:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 7:40pm

Getting back into it after a layoff is always rough. Truth be told, the main reason I used to bike indoors in the winter was that I hated how hard it was to get back into biking shape in the spring.

My mother had arthritis and I'm scared that it'll bite me. I have some kind of rotator cuff issue in my one shoulder that comes and goes. Horrinle crunching and popping from the most mundane efforts.
Oh yeah my left shoulder is a mess. That's why I usually play first base. I can still run down a ball ok but there's no way Im reaching the infield anymore on a deep ball and the pain when I do make the throw that I make is sometimes tear inducing.
Do you ease into the season? Is there a chance that's just the result of overexertion before you've warmed up for a couple weeks or something?

For myself, I'm only 37 and I've given myself whiplash a few times so my neck is like a cement mixer. I definitely have hip pain on the right, probably from posture, and lower back pain definitely from posture. I'm also prone to RSI's in my wrists so I have to pay a lot of attention to ergonomics.
Some of it is certainly a result of going from 0 to full out, but the hip started bugging me a little back in March and the shoulder issue goes back to high school. I had reduced the hip thing to where I thought it could have been a result of working from home and bad seating positions but after running around it got so much worse. Ideally I need to find some good form of exercise during the winter months which around here are October thru April or May.
I hate to be THIS guy, but yoga might be a good winter exercise just because it's zero impact and you can do it indoors. From what people say, it might alleviate some of the issue generally too.
No I actually welcome the advise. Im 6'6" and not terribly flexible.

Can I do this at home thru videos or do I need to go to a class?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 1:25pm
Im 6'6" and not terribly flexible.
6'6"? Shit, you might be the one who can take on Inder, as the ancient scrolls promised.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 8:02pm

Oh yeah my left shoulder is a mess. That's why I usually play first base. I can still run down a ball ok but there's no way Im reaching the infield anymore on a deep ball and the pain when I do make the throw that I make is sometimes tear inducing.
Do you ease into the season? Is there a chance that's just the result of overexertion before you've warmed up for a couple weeks or something?

For myself, I'm only 37 and I've given myself whiplash a few times so my neck is like a cement mixer. I definitely have hip pain on the right, probably from posture, and lower back pain definitely from posture. I'm also prone to RSI's in my wrists so I have to pay a lot of attention to ergonomics.
Some of it is certainly a result of going from 0 to full out, but the hip started bugging me a little back in March and the shoulder issue goes back to high school. I had reduced the hip thing to where I thought it could have been a result of working from home and bad seating positions but after running around it got so much worse. Ideally I need to find some good form of exercise during the winter months which around here are October thru April or May.
I hate to be THIS guy, but yoga might be a good winter exercise just because it's zero impact and you can do it indoors. From what people say, it might alleviate some of the issue generally too.

In a class, an instructor can help you make sure you're doing the poses properly. But if time is an issue, videos are probably a fine replacement. The trick will be to not get discouraged early on, as flexibility takes a lot of time to develop. Obviously going to a class for the rest of this year is probably not in the cards anyway.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 1:46pm
revbob wrote:
6'6"? Shit, you might be the one who can take on Inder, as the ancient scrolls promised.
Hmm or we could form an alliance and become all powerful. We'd have to negotiations on McCartney though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 2:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Hmm or we could form an alliance and become all powerful. We'd have to negotiations on McCartney though.
Inder has no reason to share power. You must challenge and destroy him, then be a hero by sharing power with all of us 6 feet and under.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 2:02pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:

In a class, an instructor can help you make sure you're doing the poses properly. But if time is an issue, videos are probably a fine replacement. The trick will be to not get discouraged early on, as flexibility takes a lot of time to develop. Obviously going to a class for the rest of this year is probably not in the cards anyway.
Much appreciated Kory.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
McCartney is nonnegotiable.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 3:05pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Inder would never sacrifice his copy of "Spies Like Us."

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 3:17pm
revbob wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
What about Wonder Christmas Time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 3:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Toronto's morgues are filled with guys who mocked that song in his presence.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 3:41pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
revbob wrote:

That song deserves nothing less than mockery.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 3:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 3:41pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

That song deserves nothing less than mockery.
At the very least. Ostracization, if not exile, seems fair to me.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Average height of this board is like 6' 4". Even without Inder skewing the mean.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 5:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Average height of this board is like 6' 4". Even without Inder skewing the mean.
Who else are the Frankensteins? You, Inder, revbob … who else? I'm a comparatively TLC-series worthy 6'.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 5:50pm
matedog wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 5:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Who else are the Frankensteins? You, Inder, revbob … who else? I'm a comparatively TLC-series worthy 6'.
Heston on Marky’s shoulders.