IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:17pm
For myself I've been finally getting back into a groove of runnong at least a few days a week, usually like 4-6ish miles at a time. It's been tough restarting, partly just getting a routine dialed back in after lots of months of disruption but then I also realized that I think I really scared myself from running in particularly bad weather. I can't remember if I mentioned it here but over the winter I did a run and gave myself hypothermia and I think I'm just realizing that made me pretty gunshy about getting back out there in freezing conditions. Luckily, the weather is finally getting nice so I that's making it easier to hit the road.

I'm theoretically training for a marathon in August but I dunno if I'll feel like I'm in a good spot by then. But it's nice to have some sort of target to aim for, at least for me.
Shit, what happened?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:24pm
Flex wrote:
For myself I've been finally getting back into a groove of runnong at least a few days a week, usually like 4-6ish miles at a time. It's been tough restarting, partly just getting a routine dialed back in after lots of months of disruption but then I also realized that I think I really scared myself from running in particularly bad weather. I can't remember if I mentioned it here but over the winter I did a run and gave myself hypothermia and I think I'm just realizing that made me pretty gunshy about getting back out there in freezing conditions. Luckily, the weather is finally getting nice so I that's making it easier to hit the road.

I'm theoretically training for a marathon in August but I dunno if I'll feel like I'm in a good spot by then. But it's nice to have some sort of target to aim for, at least for me.
Shit, what happened?
I just wasn't layered up enough, and the temps were around 0. I was home for a while and kept complaining how I couldn't get warm and was shaking and then the missus noted that my lips were blueish. Kinda scared me off of the gnarly weather running, even tho it was my fault for not throwing some more layers on
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:28pm
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:

Shit, what happened?
I just wasn't layered up enough, and the temps were around 0. I was home for a while and kept complaining how I couldn't get warm and was shaking and then the missus noted that my lips were blueish. Kinda scared me off of the gnarly weather running, even tho it was my fault for not throwing some more layers on
Yikes! But you survived to learn the lesson.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:

Shit, what happened?
Note to self - don't complain around Flex about running in rough weather.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:

Shit, what happened?
Geezo, that's scary, glad you were OK. Around here, I generally run in shorts & a long sleeve t-shirt in the winter because "cold" here is in the low 40's / upper 30's, my fingers get numb, but that's about it. That's probably tropical weather compared to what you're dealing with.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Saw my doctor this morning and she referred me to the orthopedic surgeon, I suspect the ongoing knee issue I have is going to be another torn meniscus, right knee this time. I'll know more after my appointment Monday morning, but no running or walking for a bit longer I suppose. Good thing is when my left knee was "fixed" two years ago, I did all the PT they recommended and was back to running / walking in a just a few months.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Sparky wrote:
20 May 2021, 2:33pm
Saw my doctor this morning and she referred me to the orthopedic surgeon, I suspect the ongoing knee issue I have is going to be another torn meniscus, right knee this time. I'll know more after my appointment Monday morning, but no running or walking for a bit longer I suppose. Good thing is when my left knee was "fixed" two years ago, I did all the PT they recommended and was back to running / walking in a just a few months.
Oof. Any suspected culprit?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
Yuck. I know that stuff is pretty minor work now, but an injury is an injury.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
20 May 2021, 2:48pm
Sparky wrote:
Oh yeah, invincible ego fully to blame! Started running / walking again after the left knee healed, but not going 8 - 10 miles anymore. But, as I felt better, I kept ramping it up, up, up and increasing the pace a bit too much, probably around 5-7 miles every other day. A lesson can be learned here from the tortoise and the hare. I want to continue to run for a few more years, hell, my dad ran a 10 miler with me 5 years ago when he was 79, so I know if I "pace" myself I can continue, but like you, I'm always checking my speed / pace / distance and trying to improve. Gotta knock that shit off now.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2021, 2:54pm
Sparky wrote:
Yuck. I know that stuff is pretty minor work now, but an injury is an injury.
I'm fortunate to be insured, the doctor that did my left knee is part of my healthcare network and he's really big in sports medicine, specializes in knees, so I'm very lucky indeed.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
20 May 2021, 2:56pm
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Oh yeah, invincible ego fully to blame! Started running / walking again after the left knee healed, but not going 8 - 10 miles anymore. But, as I felt better, I kept ramping it up, up, up and increasing the pace a bit too much, probably around 5-7 miles every other day. A lesson can be learned here from the tortoise and the hare. I want to continue to run for a few more years, hell, my dad ran a 10 miler with me 5 years ago when he was 79, so I know if I "pace" myself I can continue, but like you, I'm always checking my speed / pace / distance and trying to improve. Gotta knock that shit off now.
Ego is an evil thing. I can't help but make my workouts harder, whether it's going longer, fewer breaks, or increased tension. It's stupid and I know it. I'm not training for anything nor trying to impress anyone. But being able to do it at one level pulls me to make it a little harder yet, otherwise I'm, I dunno, dogging it.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2021, 3:21pm
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Ego is an evil thing. I can't help but make my workouts harder, whether it's going longer, fewer breaks, or increased tension. It's stupid and I know it. I'm not training for anything nor trying to impress anyone. But being able to do it at one level pulls me to make it a little harder yet, otherwise I'm, I dunno, dogging it.
Agreed, not trying to impress anybody but myself. I keep an eye on my pace and distance so I know when I'm lagging or overdoing it so I can get a consistently good workout in. The problem I have now is that I failed to notice I was overdoing it in time to prevent an injury. Damn ego.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

when i run, i only do it to impress all of you. :shifty:

i think I've lamented that it's been pretty start/stop in terms of me getting back into a regular rhythm of running (and tightening the eating back up, maybe more a subject for the middle aged fatties thread) but I've been really pleased with the last month or so and being able to get back to a regular cadence of running (and getting back to other healthy habits). Was able to hit a 10 miler last week for the first time in a while, which I liked. I'm hoping to just keep up the steady rhythm since it does wonders for both my mental and physical health. Being fully vaccinated, I've also gotten back to the gym at least a few times a week which has been great. I'd gotten completely burnt out on trying to do weights and so forth at home by my lonesome. I guess I'd gotten to enjoy being at least a bit of a gym rat before the pandemic hit.

Stay healthy Sparky! It's hard as hell not to try to blow past what you know is reasonable and prudent, hopefully you can get the knee sorted and keep on chugging to 79.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
20 May 2021, 3:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2021, 3:21pm
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Agreed, not trying to impress anybody but myself. I keep an eye on my pace and distance so I know when I'm lagging or overdoing it so I can get a consistently good workout in. The problem I have now is that I failed to notice I was overdoing it in time to prevent an injury. Damn ego.
If I only had the strength of character to not use any monitor other than a timer to tell me when I've done my 45 minutes or whatever. But I am an obsessive record keeper. I need to know how I'm doing. It's great for spurring me on, but as I grow decrepit, I think it's harming me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
20 May 2021, 3:53pm
when i run, i only do it to impress all of you. :shifty:

i think I've lamented that it's been pretty start/stop in terms of me getting back into a regular rhythm of running (and tightening the eating back up, maybe more a subject for the middle aged fatties thread) but I've been really pleased with the last month or so and being able to get back to a regular cadence of running (and getting back to other healthy habits). Was able to hit a 10 miler last week for the first time in a while, which I liked. I'm hoping to just keep up the steady rhythm since it does wonders for both my mental and physical health. Being fully vaccinated, I've also gotten back to the gym at least a few times a week which has been great. I'd gotten completely burnt out on trying to do weights and so forth at home by my lonesome. I guess I'd gotten to enjoy being at least a bit of a gym rat before the pandemic hit.

Stay healthy Sparky! It's hard as hell not to try to blow past what you know is reasonable and prudent, hopefully you can get the knee sorted and keep on chugging to 79.
Glad to hear that you're building up again. You and Hoy are young. You have to succeed for us.