IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 12:58pm
I'm doing some half hearted training for my first half marathon on 3/5 - twice a week with one short/medium run and one long run. I did a 10 miler yesterday and I'm kind of addicted to two things after my long runs - the all encompassing fatigue and the hunger attacks that hit me like 2 or 3 hours after I run. Not sure if that makes me weird, but I love that shit. Only thing that's no fun is chasing after the kids for a few hours before they go to sleep. I'm way more irritable.
Good for you, I run, but the longest race I've ever run was 10 miles a few years back, don't think I could do a half or full marathon.

I run first thing in the morning, usually about 6.5 miles, empty stomach except for a little bit of coffee to get me moving, then eat a high protein breakfast once I get back.

Best of luck on the half marathon, update us once you run with some results.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
I'm doing some half hearted training for my first half marathon on 3/5 - twice a week with one short/medium run and one long run. I did a 10 miler yesterday and I'm kind of addicted to two things after my long runs - the all encompassing fatigue and the hunger attacks that hit me like 2 or 3 hours after I run. Not sure if that makes me weird, but I love that shit. Only thing that's no fun is chasing after the kids for a few hours before they go to sleep. I'm way more irritable.
How did you do in the half marathon today?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Sparky wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 7:06pm
matedog wrote:
Good memory!

It went great. I did piss poor prep the day before with my diet - had a lot of pizza and beer, so I was a little worried ahead of time. I also had no idea how to pace myself on a largely flat (450' elevation gain) course. My longest run in prep for this was 11 miles and I averaged 8:42 with 1100' elevation gain. I ended up running just under 1:44, averaging 8:06/mile.

Course went from downtown Livermore into the surrounding wine country. The park portion got rained out, so we stuck mostly to roads which was less than ideal. The surrounding hills had a lot of snow from the storm the night before which was cool.

Mile splits:
1. 8:56
2. 8:21
3. 8:19
4. 8:13
5. 8:30 (the "hill" was in this mile)
6. 8:14
7. 7:50
8. 7:58
9. 8:12
10. 7:49
11. 7:48
12. 7:34
13. 7:20

I'm proud of my generally negative splits. I had some join pain towards the end and a nasty blister today. I also had been having achilles tendon pain on my right leg, but that didn't bother me too much. Going to take some time off to let it heal.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

matedog wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 12:38pm
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
Good memory!

It went great. I did piss poor prep the day before with my diet - had a lot of pizza and beer, so I was a little worried ahead of time. I also had no idea how to pace myself on a largely flat (450' elevation gain) course. My longest run in prep for this was 11 miles and I averaged 8:42 with 1100' elevation gain. I ended up running just under 1:44, averaging 8:06/mile.

Course went from downtown Livermore into the surrounding wine country. The park portion got rained out, so we stuck mostly to roads which was less than ideal. The surrounding hills had a lot of snow from the storm the night before which was cool.

Mile splits:

I'm proud of my generally negative splits. I had some join pain towards the end and a nasty blister today. I also had been having achilles tendon pain on my right leg, but that didn't bother me too much. Going to take some time off to let it heal.
Hello,

Well done! Your carb-loading (pizza and beer) paid off! That's a good finishing stretch.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
Good memory!

Mile splits:

Congratulations, your times are really good, must be something to your training diet.. I can't even come close to those times in a 10 mile, let alone a half marathon. I've run a 5k in Corona del Mar that was very hilly, much prefer a flat course.

Good call on listening to your body and allowing recovery time, I'm a slow learner on that, but after having arthroscopic on both knees, I'm starting to learn to pay attention to the warning signs of overdoing it.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Sparky wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 1:43pm
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
Good memory!

Mile splits:

Congratulations, your times are really good, must be something to your training diet.. I can't even come close to those times in a 10 mile, let alone a half marathon. I've run a 5k in Corona del Mar that was very hilly, much prefer a flat course.

Good call on listening to your body and allowing recovery time, I'm a slow learner on that, but after having arthroscopic on both knees, I'm starting to learn to pay attention to the warning signs of overdoing it.
Well done, I'm very impressed with those splits.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Those are awesome results, Hoy. I don't think I ever got such sweet splits even when I was running like crazy. Very well done. Let that be a lesson: drink beer.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Thanks guys. I do have a natural distance runner physique, so that helps. High school cross country training also laid a real good foundation.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I pooped myself midway through running a marathon — but I set a new record
https://nypost.com/2023/03/27/i-pooped- ... going/amp/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Apr 2023, 7:08am
Inspirational?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Apr 2023, 7:32am
revbob wrote:
Inspirational?
Let's ask Matey

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Apr 2023, 7:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Inspirational?
Let's ask Matey
I dunno, he's kinda modest about poop talk.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
Ugh, I've read a couple of similar articles about something like that happening while running. I always make sure my system is "clear" prior to running, can't imagine how unpleasant that must have been. :yuck:

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Inspirational?
Let's ask Matey
There’s that famous pic with the guy that shits himself mid race (I’m a bit modest about poop talk, so I’ll let you google image search that one instead of posting it) and he said the same thing. Ill I’ve got to say is - respect.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
12 Apr 2023, 8:56am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Inspirational?
Let's ask Matey
There’s that famous pic with the guy that shits himself mid race (I’m a bit modest about poop talk, so I’ll let you google image search that one instead of posting it) and he said the same thing. Ill I’ve got to say is - respect.
That "Jackass" stunt "Taking A Shit While Running" is always on my mind before I head out the door on a run.