IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 4:11pm
The Bowflex spin bike showed up today. Surprisingly easy to assemble and, holy crap, it runs quietly. My ribs aren't fully healed but a quick test didn't aggravate them, so I'll ride tomorrow. I annoyed the Boss by cheering it on and calling it Pelaton at every step. Tighten that screw, Pelaton, you can do it. Alright, connect that cable, Pelaton!
There are few joys in this life as pure as annoying our SO's.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 4:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Bowflex spin bike showed up today. Surprisingly easy to assemble and, holy crap, it runs quietly. My ribs aren't fully healed but a quick test didn't aggravate them, so I'll ride tomorrow. I annoyed the Boss by cheering it on and calling it Pelaton at every step. Tighten that screw, Pelaton, you can do it. Alright, connect that cable, Pelaton!
I really should be one of the happiest dickweeds on the planet by that standard.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 4:56pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I really should be one of the happiest dickweeds on the planet by that standard.
Hello,

I used to own a Tunturi a long time ago. The resistance was brake pads that weren't good (they would smoke after a while). I figured it out after a while. Overall, it was a good cycle. I now will use a spin cycle as an occasional break from running. It's a good workout and different (even different from a road bike on a trainer) as I find that acceleration is easy and keeping it up is the task. Decelerating quickly can be difficult. It's a nice break for the legs as the movement rhythm is different but it is still taxing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 5:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

I used to own a Tunturi a long time ago. The resistance was brake pads that weren't good (they would smoke after a while). I figured it out after a while. Overall, it was a good cycle. I now will use a spin cycle as an occasional break from running. It's a good workout and different (even different from a road bike on a trainer) as I find that acceleration is easy and keeping it up is the task. Decelerating quickly can be difficult. It's a nice break for the legs as the movement rhythm is different but it is still taxing.
Until switching to rowing, I cycled for about 20 years, including using a trainer in the winter (roughly 25 km rides). My curiosity is how this compares to that. The initial reaction from just casually playing with it is the lack of noise (belt instead of chain). The belt might also make for a smoother ride, I dunno.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well, you're halfway there.

WOCKA WOCKA
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 6:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well, you're halfway there.

WOCKA WOCKA
I'm not a weed! :angry:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Remembered that I bought a superduper comfy seat for my bike—extra padding, plus springs for better give—so I've transferred that to the spin bike. Old guy butt needs TLC. Good job, Pelaton!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 8:38pm
Remembered that I bought a superduper comfy seat for my bike—extra padding, plus springs for better give—so I've transferred that to the spin bike. Old guy butt needs TLC. Good job, Pelaton!
Hello,

Say it with me - You crushed it, pelaton!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

gkbill wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 10:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

With your BUTT!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 10:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Great reply, Pelaton! Keep up that conversation, Pelaton, you're doing great!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Did 25 km on the new bike—good job, Pelaton!—and, apart from my shit stamina (had to pause twice for a couple minutes), it was enjoyable. I tried out the Zwift app, which has a video game-style visual as you ride. It definitely helps the time pass quicker. I'll be subscribing, I think.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 11:50am
Did 25 km on the new bike—good job, Pelaton!—and, apart from my shit stamina (had to pause twice for a couple minutes), it was enjoyable. I tried out the Zwift app, which has a video game-style visual as you ride. It definitely helps the time pass quicker. I'll be subscribing, I think.
Hello,

If you get off the bike early, does the pelaton person say "Hey, you suck! Get back here!"?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 12:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 11:50am
Hello,

If you get off the bike early, does the pelaton person say "Hey, you suck! Get back here!"?
I would guess they say, "Hey, you suck, Pelaton! Get back here, Pelaton!" It is kinda neat in Zwift that when you stop before the end of the course, your cyclist on the screen slows and pulls over. As you're riding, you'll see other cyclists pulled over resting.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Done four straight days on the bike. I definitely recommend Zwift for people with bikes or treadmills that can hook up to it—makes the experience go by more quickly. I'd rather the environment be more lifelike than video game—I biked in Leeds yesterday, Richmond, VA, today, but it's not like the visuals were especially distinct.

However, my ribs/oblique seem to have healed well enough because I was able to do sit-ups this morning without any pain. So I'm going to row tomorrow and then go on either a 50/50 or 66/33 split of rowing and cycling. Probably 50/50 until I feel like I've got my cycling stamina back and can re-evaluate.

Also, those bone conduction headphones are really neat. They're too trebly for music, but for just speech they work well, plus you don't cut yourself off from the rest of the world.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 6:48pm
Done four straight days on the bike. I definitely recommend Zwift for people with bikes or treadmills that can hook up to it—makes the experience go by more quickly. I'd rather the environment be more lifelike than video game—I biked in Leeds yesterday, Richmond, VA, today, but it's not like the visuals were especially distinct.

However, my ribs/oblique seem to have healed well enough because I was able to do sit-ups this morning without any pain. So I'm going to row tomorrow and then go on either a 50/50 or 66/33 split of rowing and cycling. Probably 50/50 until I feel like I've got my cycling stamina back and can re-evaluate.

Also, those bone conduction headphones are really neat. They're too trebly for music, but for just speech they work well, plus you don't cut yourself off from the rest of the world.
Hello,

It's great to learn your ribs have healed.

I'm not that big of a dissociative person - much more associative. I sometimes don't have any visuals on, just music or nothing at all. If I do have video, it's usually college sports or soccer. Soccer is easy to keep time as there's not a break. College sports are kind of a gamble - college basketball usually is 1:~2.5: - a 20 minute half last around 45 minutes. NHL is usually 1:2.

You may want to try a session without any audio or visual just for the hell of it. It's challenging but rewarding.