IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 2:45pm
When people hear about my knee problems, they say "get a bike". To which I say "I don't want to look like a circus clown peddling down the street". Walking is working for me in small increments until the Dr. reviews my MRI results Monday, then we'll go from there.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 3:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
When people hear about my knee problems, they say "get a bike". To which I say "I don't want to look like a circus clown peddling down the street". Walking is working for me in small increments until the Dr. reviews my MRI results Monday, then we'll go from there.
Fingers crossed that you'll be back running sooner than expected!

Weird semi-injury to report. It's warm enough even in the basement now that I take off my shirt to row. However, when I finish each pull, I whack myself in the chest with the handle, which is an abrasive foam rubber (I wear weightlifting gloves while rowing because it'd be a painful process to build up the necessary callouses). And between that and sweating heavily, I developed a lot of painful little knicks in my chest that manifested like bug bites. So I have to wear a shirt regardless of the extra perspiration. I have something fairly thin and breathable, but it's still not as good as being completely open. Not something I ever expected to worry about.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 3:31pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Weird semi-injury to report. It's warm enough even in the basement now that I take off my shirt to row. However, when I finish each pull, I whack myself in the chest with the handle, which is an abrasive foam rubber (I wear weightlifting gloves while rowing because it'd be a painful process to build up the necessary callouses). And between that and sweating heavily, I developed a lot of painful little knicks in my chest that manifested like bug bites. So I have to wear a shirt regardless of the extra perspiration. I have something fairly thin and breathable, but it's still not as good as being completely open. Not something I ever expected to worry about.
Thanks Doc, pretty sure it's just a torn meniscus, but it's not like I went to medical school, so I'll let a pro determine it for me.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Dry fit compression t shirt. You can get sleeveless.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 4:49pm
Wouldn't something tight worsen the sweatiness issue? Or, I guess I'm asking, how does it work to keep cooler?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You go Peleton!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 5:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You go Peleton!
Say it with me, you crushed that!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 5:20pm
gkbill wrote:
Wouldn't something tight worsen the sweatiness issue? Or, I guess I'm asking, how does it work to keep cooler?
Hello,

The compression actually aids blood flow and thus cooling. Additionally, the fact that it's synthetic and tight means it won's become a warm, wet blanket over you. I've found the sweat runs off you rather than collecting in the t shirt. Try it. You may prefer a regular/cotton t shirt but I think you may like the dry fit stuff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

The compression actually aids blood flow and thus cooling. Additionally, the fact that it's synthetic and tight means it won's become a warm, wet blanket over you. I've found the sweat runs off you rather than collecting in the t shirt. Try it. You may prefer a regular/cotton t shirt but I think you may like the dry fit stuff.
Okay, thanks for the info. I've ordered a tank-top style (tho a bit bothered that its description was for hiding moobs). My cycling shirts have the wicking fabric, but I find them too heavy for exercise in the house. I also ordered some sweat bands that are supposed to wick away the sweat, rather than soak it up like what I have now. That's one thing unfortunate about rowing as opposed to cycling. When cycling I have a towel around my neck and can dry off while riding, but you have to stop rowing to do the same, so I use a sweat band, and that just collects sweat on my forehead.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:27pm
gkbill wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Okay, thanks for the info. I've ordered a tank-top style (tho a bit bothered that its description was for hiding moobs). My cycling shirts have the wicking fabric, but I find them too heavy for exercise in the house. I also ordered some sweat bands that are supposed to wick away the sweat, rather than soak it up like what I have now. That's one thing unfortunate about rowing as opposed to cycling. When cycling I have a towel around my neck and can dry off while riding, but you have to stop rowing to do the same, so I use a sweat band, and that just collects sweat on my forehead.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That guy has hair.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:54pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That guy has hair.
And charisma, you need to strive for something.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 7:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That guy has hair.
I could get hair plugs.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 7:12pm
revbob wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 7:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That guy has hair.
I could get hair plugs.
This is one of the best Simpsons moments...