IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 7:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 7:12pm
revbob wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 7:04pm
And charisma, you need to strive for something.
I could get hair plugs.
This is one of the best Simpsons moments...

Hmm, I'd love to aspire to being dynamic. And to work in a nuclear plant.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:27pm
gkbill wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 5:20pm
gkbill wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 4:49pm
Dry fit compression t shirt. You can get sleeveless.
Wouldn't something tight worsen the sweatiness issue? Or, I guess I'm asking, how does it work to keep cooler?
Hello,

The compression actually aids blood flow and thus cooling. Additionally, the fact that it's synthetic and tight means it won's become a warm, wet blanket over you. I've found the sweat runs off you rather than collecting in the t shirt. Try it. You may prefer a regular/cotton t shirt but I think you may like the dry fit stuff.
Okay, thanks for the info. I've ordered a tank-top style (tho a bit bothered that its description was for hiding moobs). My cycling shirts have the wicking fabric, but I find them too heavy for exercise in the house. I also ordered some sweat bands that are supposed to wick away the sweat, rather than soak it up like what I have now. That's one thing unfortunate about rowing as opposed to cycling. When cycling I have a towel around my neck and can dry off while riding, but you have to stop rowing to do the same, so I use a sweat band, and that just collects sweat on my forehead.
Where I live that's not considered work out attire, it's generally called a "wife beater". Formal attire of the white trash culture.
Attachments
Cletus.jpg
Cletus.jpg (70.85 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 9:02am
revbob wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:27pm
gkbill wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 5:20pm

Wouldn't something tight worsen the sweatiness issue? Or, I guess I'm asking, how does it work to keep cooler?
Hello,

The compression actually aids blood flow and thus cooling. Additionally, the fact that it's synthetic and tight means it won's become a warm, wet blanket over you. I've found the sweat runs off you rather than collecting in the t shirt. Try it. You may prefer a regular/cotton t shirt but I think you may like the dry fit stuff.
Okay, thanks for the info. I've ordered a tank-top style (tho a bit bothered that its description was for hiding moobs). My cycling shirts have the wicking fabric, but I find them too heavy for exercise in the house. I also ordered some sweat bands that are supposed to wick away the sweat, rather than soak it up like what I have now. That's one thing unfortunate about rowing as opposed to cycling. When cycling I have a towel around my neck and can dry off while riding, but you have to stop rowing to do the same, so I use a sweat band, and that just collects sweat on my forehead.
Where I live that's not considered work out attire, it's generally called a "wife beater". Formal attire of the white trash culture.
A wife-beater has to be primarily cotton, preferably originally white but certainly stained with no less than 5 condiments and 3 types of beer.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I don't know, this all seems anti-us guys who sit around in stained vests.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 12:28pm
Designer stained vests.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 12:36pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Designer stained vests.
Yes, definitely, someone must have had to design this vest.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 12:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Designer stained vests.
SM at his second job …

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 12:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Designer stained vests.
Someone.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Had the follow up from my MRI today, just as I predicted, a torn meniscus in my right knee. According to the doctor, same location as previous one, just the opposite knee. Talk about more irony, the left knee was "fixed" 7/10/18, this one is scheduled for 7/9/21. If it goes as well as the last one, I may be able to start little 10 minute jog / walks by mid-September (fingers crossed).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 7:22pm
Had the follow up from my MRI today, just as I predicted, a torn meniscus in my right knee. According to the doctor, same location as previous one, just the opposite knee. Talk about more irony, the left knee was "fixed" 7/10/18, this one is scheduled for 7/9/21. If it goes as well as the last one, I may be able to start little 10 minute jog / walks by mid-September (fingers crossed).
Who wants to run in the summer anyway? Better weather come September.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 7:36pm
Sparky wrote:
Who wants to run in the summer anyway? Better weather come September.
Excellent point, thanks!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Sparky wrote:
Can you do any cardio? How limited is your mobility?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 8:16pm
Sparky wrote:
Can you do any cardio? How limited is your mobility?
I'm actually pretty good, thanks. My knee has just been bugging me since about the end of November, kind of knew what was up having had it done before on other knee. Wife & I are walking about 2.6 miles every other day, so I'm not really in veg mode yet. But, I really miss running, you just cover so much more ground, more to see, better cardio / calorie burn.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

First row with the new clothes. The compression shirt is … very self-conscious. For one thing, I haven't worn a tank-top since I was a kid (and that had Captain America on it). So that was just weird to have exposed arms like that. But more unsettling is that while I don't have a gut, but it sure made me feel like I did, especially once I started sweating and things got really clingy. That said, I think it allowed more of the sweat to evaporate than any other work-out shirt I have, including the stuff designed to wick away moisture, which is certainly a good thing.

But the tightness of it all made us think of how we bought a thundershirt for our cat Charlotte, who is terrified by thunderstorms. The tightness is supposed to provide security for animals, but all she did was walk backwards and get more and more unnerved. That, in turn, provided me with the soundtrack of me wearing this shirt:

Which is appropriate because, while I wish I was a Louise, deep down I'm really a Tina.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 2:08pm
First row with the new clothes. The compression shirt is … very self-conscious. For one thing, I haven't worn a tank-top since I was a kid (and that had Captain America on it). So that was just weird to have exposed arms like that. But more unsettling is that while I don't have a gut, but it sure made me feel like I did, especially once I started sweating and things got really clingy. That said, I think it allowed more of the sweat to evaporate than any other work-out shirt I have, including the stuff designed to wick away moisture, which is certainly a good thing.

But the tightness of it all made us think of how we bought a thundershirt for our cat Charlotte, who is terrified by thunderstorms. The tightness is supposed to provide security for animals, but all she did was walk backwards and get more and more unnerved. That, in turn, provided me with the soundtrack of me wearing this shirt:

Which is appropriate because, while I wish I was a Louise, deep down I'm really a Tina.
Hello,

I don't know what to say about the self-consciousness but the shirt is supposed to work as you've described. It won't weigh a ton by collecting your sweat. That said, you may want to have a towel handy (perhaps under the rower) to collect sweat. I'm more curious to see how you feel tomorrow/after the rowing. The compression gear should aid recovery - maybe not a lot, but somewhat.

I've got a soccer camp beginning tomorrow in Chapel Hill, NC. I've been doing this camp for a number of years. It gets so hot I've actually seen a soccer ball burst from the heat on the turf. I will be sweating/rinsing my body from the inside out.