IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 10:47pm
You may want to try a session without any audio or visual just for the hell of it. It's challenging but rewarding.
I have biked a few times without an audiobook before. My mind wandered and the quality of the ride suffered. It's like different parts of me all have to be engaged in specific activities for the process to work.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And, nope, not ready to row. One stroke and I felt the twinge. Back to the bike. I'm cycling London today and hoping to get the opportunity to say, "Look kids—Big Ben, Parliament!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 10:21am
And, nope, not ready to row. One stroke and I felt the twinge. Back to the bike. I'm cycling London today and hoping to get the opportunity to say, "Look kids—Big Ben, Parliament!"
Is it still surrounded with scaffolding, or have they finished all that work?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 3:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 10:21am
Is it still surrounded with scaffolding, or have they finished all that work?
I saw nothing either way. :meh:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 11:24am
Yay, the chain snapped on the replacement rower. So I'm going to seek (but don't expect) a refund on this hunk of junk. Great while it works, but apparently it's built to be used once a week. :angry:
Weird, out of nowhere, the company that manufactured the two rowers whose chains snapped on me finally decided to respond to me and claim they're going to cut me a cheque (tho it'll take a couple months because … reasons). No idea how much they're going to give me, but I'd given up so it's all gravy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So having the spin bike for a month and creating a new routine of six days on, one day off, alternating between rower and bike, my stamina on the bike has improved a great deal. I've upped the tension steadily and my times continue to improve. I'm still not 100% on the rower—still get twinges in my ribs, so I've held back some—and am about a second or a second and half per kilometre slower than I was before the injury. I was also doing two sets of 30 minutes, but I've only done that once since coming back, and it destroyed me, so I'm doing three sets of 20 minutes. Having a hard time of letting go of my ego in all this and to quit being so obsessed with improving my times. Too old for that attitude but it's always been my motivator. :meh:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 8:32am
So having the spin bike for a month and creating a new routine of six days on, one day off, alternating between rower and bike, my stamina on the bike has improved a great deal. I've upped the tension steadily and my times continue to improve. I'm still not 100% on the rower—still get twinges in my ribs, so I've held back some—and am about a second or a second and half per kilometre slower than I was before the injury. I was also doing two sets of 30 minutes, but I've only done that once since coming back, and it destroyed me, so I'm doing three sets of 20 minutes. Having a hard time of letting go of my ego in all this and to quit being so obsessed with improving my times. Too old for that attitude but it's always been my motivator. :meh:
I hear you on the improving times obsession. I peaked on my 3.75 mile run a few weeks ago, but I've only been slightly chipping away at it for the last 3-6 months.

Oh, I was in a flat time last week and decided to try to beat my high school 3-mile time. I figured, "I've been running like a champ the last 12 months, I can beat my 17 year old self." Nope. Shot for 18:30 or so and ended up right around 20:00. A good time and Wally would be the first to point out that my training wasn't appropriate for a 3-mile race. Still a little disappointing that I can't top my 135 pound 17 year old self.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 9:19am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I hear you on the improving times obsession. I peaked on my 3.75 mile run a few weeks ago, but I've only been slightly chipping away at it for the last 3-6 months.

Oh, I was in a flat time last week and decided to try to beat my high school 3-mile time. I figured, "I've been running like a champ the last 12 months, I can beat my 17 year old self." Nope. Shot for 18:30 or so and ended up right around 20:00. A good time and Wally would be the first to point out that my training wasn't appropriate for a 3-mile race. Still a little disappointing that I can't top my 135 pound 17 year old self.
Getting old stinks. :disshame:

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I get it, kind of a mind game to challenge yourself. When I run, I use a sports watch to track my time and mileage, keeps me motivated when I'm slacking on my pace.
Guess that's kind of a moot point for now since I haven't been running since December due to my right knee hurting. Just started walking last week, hoping it helps the knee. Got in 2.5 miles yesterday. Hoping it's not a torn meniscus like I had a couple of years back on the left knee.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Quite a few years ago (~15 years ago?), I invested in a Garmin to keep track of pace and distance - plus it had a mapping feature so I figured I wouldn't get lost on trail runs. After a couple of months, I packed it away. It was good for monitoring my pace but running wasn't a pleasure anymore. I kept looking at the Garmin. When I run on a treadmill, I keep track of pace and distance. When I run outside, I don't. I try to have a "I think I'll run up there today" kind of thing. It's much better. I kind of have an idea of distance and pace but without the exactness of the Garmin as a distraction. It's much better for me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 10:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I get it, kind of a mind game to challenge yourself. When I run, I use a sports watch to track my time and mileage, keeps me motivated when I'm slacking on my pace.
Precisely. I wish I could adopt gkbill's less rigid approach. I've tried it and the effect has been to make me lazier—I didn't push myself as much and rode less often. The tyranny of a permanent record of my slackery keeps me honest. I'm sure decrepitude will lead me in gkbill's direction even if my heart and mind resist. I mean, I'm not training for anything, so what's with the obsession about improving? It's wholly irrational.
Guess that's kind of a moot point for now since I haven't been running since December due to my right knee hurting. Just started walking last week, hoping it helps the knee. Got in 2.5 miles yesterday. Hoping it's not a torn meniscus like I had a couple of years back on the left knee.
Ugh, that's a bastard. Do you swim? There just aren't many stamina routines that don't require good knees.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 10:45am
Sparky wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 10:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Precisely. I wish I could adopt gkbill's less rigid approach. I've tried it and the effect has been to make me lazier—I didn't push myself as much and rode less often. The tyranny of a permanent record of my slackery keeps me honest. I'm sure decrepitude will lead me in gkbill's direction even if my heart and mind resist. I mean, I'm not training for anything, so what's with the obsession about improving? It's wholly irrational.
Ugh, that's a bastard. Do you swim? There just aren't many stamina routines that don't require good knees.
I can swim but don't have access to a pool, I do go in the ocean when the water is 68 degrees or higher (wimpy old guy). Knowing what I do about the meniscus in the knee, I'm really hoping the long break I've taken from running and starting a walking routine will help mend it to where I can start up a slow, light running routine again. My runs used to be 8- 10 miles, dropped down to 5-7 miles a year or so ago to lessen the impact on my knees. We have bikes, might start doing some light peddling as well. We have an elliptical as well, but other than warming up to go run, I can't stand working out on it, too monotonous.
Last edited by Sparky on 13 Apr 2021, 1:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 11:40am
We have an elliptical as well, but other than warming up to go run, I can't stand working out on it, too monotonous.
Ugh, I hate ellipticals. I could be persuaded that the CIA invented them as an interrogation device.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 11:51am
Sparky wrote:
We have an elliptical as well, but other than warming up to go run, I can't stand working out on it, too monotonous.
Ugh, I hate ellipticals. I could be persuaded that the CIA invented them as an interrogation device.
We had a treadmill for a couple of years, I felt the same way about it!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 1:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 11:51am
Sparky wrote:
We had a treadmill for a couple of years, I felt the same way about it!
Part of it is I hate running. I think Flex has said that cycling gets boring for him, so he runs; I'm the opposite. The scenery doesn't change fast enough for me while running.