IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by gkbill »

matedog wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 12:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 8:22am
revbob wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 8:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 7:58am
revbob wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 7:41am
woman who pooped her pants halfway through a marathon and ran with it in her shorts until she crossed the finish line achieved a personal record

https://www.insider.com/woman-pooped-pa ... 021-11?amp
The idea of thinking it was worth running with shit in your shorts for 13 miles is foreign to me.
Maybe Hoy can relate?
As a runner and someone with assertive opinions on pooping, he seems best placed of anyone here to assess this.
I'm mostly disappointed we didn't get pics in that article.

My favorite was this dude (graphic pics included!): https://www.gawker.com/what-happened-to ... 1681442684
I guess my conclusion is respect for devotion to getting your personal best, but I need a long leisurely shit, so I don't fully relate to these runners.

I have had this happen a couple times during long runs and it is so unpleasant. Particularly if you can't find a restroom. During marathon training in 2013, I got the urge to purge and was near Baker Beach in SF. I fortunately found a porta potty just off the road I was running. Of course it was locked. So I made my way down to the beach in hopes for a public bathroom which I fortunately found. I was getting ready to squat and realized, "this toilet is gross, better lay down some TP." I reached over to get some TP to find there was none. So I made my way further down the beach to bathroom attempt #3. It was closed for cleaning, but I went in anyway and unloaded.
Hello,

Whenever I did long trail runs, I used to tuck a baggie with toilet paper in it. It came in useful a few times on trails.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I just can't fathom looking back and thinking, yeah, worth it, would do it again. I'd be more than fine with noting in my log that I lost x minutes due to #2.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 7:41am
woman who pooped her pants halfway through a marathon and ran with it in her shorts until she crossed the finish line achieved a personal record

https://www.insider.com/woman-pooped-pa ... 021-11?amp
Well, as much as I enjoy running, this is one personal best I'm probably never going to achieve.
But I did make it 4.6 miles this morning and when I got home, there were no surprises in my shorts.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

This is how its done.

A woman had to make 9 Porta Potty stops while running a marathon — and still achieved a personal record

https://www.insider.com/woman-stopped-9 ... 021-11?amp

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Nov 2021, 2:06pm
This is how its done.

A woman had to make 9 Porta Potty stops while running a marathon — and still achieved a personal record

"I'm a big believer that if running starts to take over your life or takes away value, then you need to reevaluate."
This woman has her priorities in order.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
This is how its done.

Well I guess she had different priorities than the other one you posted earlier this week who torqued one in her running shorts in order not to break her pace. Me, I'm good with a pit stop when absolutely necessary and I think this qualifies as such.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
04 Nov 2021, 2:21pm
revbob wrote:
This is how its done.

Well I guess she had different priorities than the other one you posted earlier this week who torqued one in her running shorts in order not to break her pace. Me, I'm good with a pit stop when absolutely necessary and I think this qualifies as such.
Puking, shitting, pissing are all good reasons to stop.

I would think having a load in your pants would fuck up you stride.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
04 Nov 2021, 2:34pm
Sparky wrote:
04 Nov 2021, 2:21pm
revbob wrote:
This is how its done.

Puking, shitting, pissing are all good reasons to stop.

I would think having a load in your pants would fuck up you stride.
Geez, I can't even or don't even, want to try to image what that must've felt like. Ugh! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Last fall we put in a deck on our lower roof. There's a narrow stretch on the side that isn't especially good for sitting, but it is the right size (and away from snooping eyes) for my rower. The forecast suggests we're past overnight freezing, so I drained the water out of my rower's tank and hauled it up there, refilled, and had my first row this morning. Very nice having fresh air while doing that, tho I think I'll still need a fan out there as my head soaked up pretty quick. I had to pause to towel off and change headbands more often than normal.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 May 2022, 11:14am
Last fall we put in a deck on our lower roof. There's a narrow stretch on the side that isn't especially good for sitting, but it is the right size (and away from snooping eyes) for my rower. The forecast suggests we're past overnight freezing, so I drained the water out of my rower's tank and hauled it up there, refilled, and had my first row this morning. Very nice having fresh air while doing that, tho I think I'll still need a fan out there as my head soaked up pretty quick. I had to pause to towel off and change headbands more often than normal.
Hello,

This sounds very good!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
01 May 2022, 11:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

This sounds very good!
I should mention that I took your advice re. a high-intensity interval approach to rowing and it's been very beneficial. I tend to do it on alternating days—mixed up with just a more straight-forward row—and I've noticed both muscle development but especially stamina development (i.e., the straight-forward rows have gotten better).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Something about exercising outdoors always wins out over indoors.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 May 2022, 11:50am
gkbill wrote:
01 May 2022, 11:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

This sounds very good!
I should mention that I took your advice re. a high-intensity interval approach to rowing and it's been very beneficial. I tend to do it on alternating days—mixed up with just a more straight-forward row—and I've noticed both muscle development but especially stamina development (i.e., the straight-forward rows have gotten better).
Hello,

I've done the HIIT workouts more often now. They're beneficial. I still like a long slow distance (LSD) day but I don't get those in as often as I used to do. If they help you, I'm happy.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I'm doing some half hearted training for my first half marathon on 3/5 - twice a week with one short/medium run and one long run. I did a 10 miler yesterday and I'm kind of addicted to two things after my long runs - the all encompassing fatigue and the hunger attacks that hit me like 2 or 3 hours after I run. Not sure if that makes me weird, but I love that shit. Only thing that's no fun is chasing after the kids for a few hours before they go to sleep. I'm way more irritable.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.