IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88780
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 1:27pm
So one thing Ive noticed on the new bike is that the seat is a bit uncomfortable on longer rides. I think I need to get something softer. Any bicyclists have a suggestion?
You could get a gel cover for the seat. I had that when I biked outside. But once I switched to inside biking, I found groin discomfort was alleviated for a full-on seat replacement. It's spongy and has a open area down the middle to relieve some of the pressure. I'd start with the gel cover first, tho. They aren't that expensive.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12611
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 2:12pm
revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 1:27pm
So one thing Ive noticed on the new bike is that the seat is a bit uncomfortable on longer rides. I think I need to get something softer. Any bicyclists have a suggestion?
You could get a gel cover for the seat. I had that when I biked outside. But once I switched to inside biking, I found groin discomfort was alleviated for a full-on seat replacement. It's spongy and has a open area down the middle to relieve some of the pressure. I'd start with the gel cover first, tho. They aren't that expensive.
My tender ass gets sore after 30 min on that thing.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88780
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 2:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 2:12pm
revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 1:27pm
So one thing Ive noticed on the new bike is that the seat is a bit uncomfortable on longer rides. I think I need to get something softer. Any bicyclists have a suggestion?
You could get a gel cover for the seat. I had that when I biked outside. But once I switched to inside biking, I found groin discomfort was alleviated for a full-on seat replacement. It's spongy and has a open area down the middle to relieve some of the pressure. I'd start with the gel cover first, tho. They aren't that expensive.
My tender ass gets sore after 30 min on that thing.
Basic bike seats suck. Riding without extra cushion is madness.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12611
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 2:43pm
revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 2:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 2:12pm
revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 1:27pm
So one thing Ive noticed on the new bike is that the seat is a bit uncomfortable on longer rides. I think I need to get something softer. Any bicyclists have a suggestion?
You could get a gel cover for the seat. I had that when I biked outside. But once I switched to inside biking, I found groin discomfort was alleviated for a full-on seat replacement. It's spongy and has a open area down the middle to relieve some of the pressure. I'd start with the gel cover first, tho. They aren't that expensive.
My tender ass gets sore after 30 min on that thing.
Basic bike seats suck. Riding without extra cushion is madness.
Yeah it wasn't bad when was younger and a bit lighter

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88780
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 3:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 2:43pm
revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 2:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 2:12pm
revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 1:27pm
So one thing Ive noticed on the new bike is that the seat is a bit uncomfortable on longer rides. I think I need to get something softer. Any bicyclists have a suggestion?
You could get a gel cover for the seat. I had that when I biked outside. But once I switched to inside biking, I found groin discomfort was alleviated for a full-on seat replacement. It's spongy and has a open area down the middle to relieve some of the pressure. I'd start with the gel cover first, tho. They aren't that expensive.
My tender ass gets sore after 30 min on that thing.
Basic bike seats suck. Riding without extra cushion is madness.
Yeah it wasn't bad when was younger and a bit lighter
When you're old, the extra comfort option is mandatory. On my rowing machine, I bought an extra foam cushion, plus I wear my padded biking shorts. My heiny is too delicate.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12611
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 3:26pm
revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 3:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 2:43pm
revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 2:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 2:12pm


You could get a gel cover for the seat. I had that when I biked outside. But once I switched to inside biking, I found groin discomfort was alleviated for a full-on seat replacement. It's spongy and has a open area down the middle to relieve some of the pressure. I'd start with the gel cover first, tho. They aren't that expensive.
My tender ass gets sore after 30 min on that thing.
Basic bike seats suck. Riding without extra cushion is madness.
Yeah it wasn't bad when was younger and a bit lighter
When you're old, the extra comfort option is mandatory. On my rowing machine, I bought an extra foam cushion, plus I wear my padded biking shorts. My heiny is too delicate.
I found that a minor adustment jhelped a lot. The seat has a push pull setup for the tilt and it was a kittle high in the front

Also first game of softball this year. Ended in a tie do to darkness. I played well, hit a liner off the top of the fence for a triple. Dude in front of me slowed me down or I might have had an inside the parker. Felt good to be back on the field.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88780
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 9:30pm
Also first game of softball this year. Ended in a tie do to darkness. I played well, hit a liner off the top of the fence for a triple. Dude in front of me slowed me down or I might have had an inside the parker. Felt good to be back on the field.
Dusty Baker was right—you don't want slow guys clogging up the bases.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

gkbill
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1962
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I played two hours of soccer tennis last night. Great fun but my legs are feeling it today. Functional movements versus linear - sore but great to have that feeling again!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12611
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 11:59am
Hello,

I played two hours of soccer tennis last night. Great fun but my legs are feeling it today. Functional movements versus linear - sore but great to have that feeling again!
Most definitely. I know it was "only softball " but I was sprinting around like a MF when I had the chance. And those are clearly not muscles I normally use so yeah a bit sore today.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88780
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Almost one month after the chain broke, my replacement rower is being delivered today. So, assembly this evening and back at it tomorrow. Plus my bike guy is coming in a week to put on a new chain on the old one, which, if it works, gives me a back up. Going back to riding this past month has just been a blah experience, which has led me not to push myself the way I usually do. Bizarre given how much I used to love cycling, but it just does nothing for me now.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12611
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 9:42am
Almost one month after the chain broke, my replacement rower is being delivered today. So, assembly this evening and back at it tomorrow. Plus my bike guy is coming in a week to put on a new chain on the old one, which, if it works, gives me a back up. Going back to riding this past month has just been a blah experience, which has led me not to push myself the way I usually do. Bizarre given how much I used to love cycling, but it just does nothing for me now.
Interesting. Did your fondness for biking go away when you moved strictly to indoor cycling? I think I would get bored with that.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88780
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 9:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 9:42am
Almost one month after the chain broke, my replacement rower is being delivered today. So, assembly this evening and back at it tomorrow. Plus my bike guy is coming in a week to put on a new chain on the old one, which, if it works, gives me a back up. Going back to riding this past month has just been a blah experience, which has led me not to push myself the way I usually do. Bizarre given how much I used to love cycling, but it just does nothing for me now.
Interesting. Did your fondness for biking go away when you moved strictly to indoor cycling? I think I would get bored with that.
Partly that, tho I don't especially miss cycling outside either. It's mostly that I found rowing for more appealing. There was always a certain desperation(?) when cycling that I reach my targets and all that. Even tho I go hard while rowing, the movement has a more calming rhythm. Cycling requires concentration to maintain the speed, whereas rowing has a kind of hypnotic effect without losing pace.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

gkbill
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1962
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 10:22am
revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 9:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 9:42am
Almost one month after the chain broke, my replacement rower is being delivered today. So, assembly this evening and back at it tomorrow. Plus my bike guy is coming in a week to put on a new chain on the old one, which, if it works, gives me a back up. Going back to riding this past month has just been a blah experience, which has led me not to push myself the way I usually do. Bizarre given how much I used to love cycling, but it just does nothing for me now.
Interesting. Did your fondness for biking go away when you moved strictly to indoor cycling? I think I would get bored with that.
Partly that, tho I don't especially miss cycling outside either. It's mostly that I found rowing for more appealing. There was always a certain desperation(?) when cycling that I reach my targets and all that. Even tho I go hard while rowing, the movement has a more calming rhythm. Cycling requires concentration to maintain the speed, whereas rowing has a kind of hypnotic effect without losing pace.
Hello,

I don't row that frequently - I generally do it as a break from my regular workouts - but I do find it very hypnotic, much more so than cycling, running, or stairs. There's a whole body rhythm, more of an ebb and flow to each pull.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88780
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 6:32pm
I don't row that frequently - I generally do it as a break from my regular workouts - but I do find it very hypnotic, much more so than cycling, running, or stairs. There's a whole body rhythm, more of an ebb and flow to each pull.
I find it mentally relaxing even as it's physically involving. I can just close my eyes and let the rhythm impel the work. That sounds faux zen and all that, but it really does seem to sync mind and body.

That said, I just finished assembling the replacement. Despite having done it once before, it was still a couple hours. Looking forward to tomorrow morning.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29099
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Flex »

I've had to dial back the running the last few weeks. Probably overworked myself after the Vail pass run and ended up with some major soreness and leg pain, not surprising since I'm pushing myself quite a bit. Feeling a lot better now after just dialing it down to a few easier, shorter runs per week and am gonna start ramping it back up with a little more attention paid to stretching and such than I'd been doing. So it goes.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Post Reply