IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Flex »

Basically all my grandparents and great grandparents ended up with dementia, so really looking forward to my twilight years there. And my folks, come to that.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Hopefully my heart gives out at around 60, like has happened to the men in my family, and I don't stick around for my brain to give way in my early 70s, like has happened to the women.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 9:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 7:20pm
revbob wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 7:07pm
After a so so summer of hitting I went t9 the batting cages today and seem to have stumbled upon what Ive been doing wrong. I wasn't consistently bringing my bat far enough back so my swings tended to lack some power because it was a mich shorter swing. Let's see how my theory holds up in the next game. I was thinking the years had caught up to me but I still seem t9 have something left.
Jose Cruz of the Astros had the craziest bat position that I can think of. He held it right over his head and then came back and down and then thru the zone. Huge arc.
Remember Tony Batista?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxw1P1zaMA8
Pity the Little League coach who had kids who wanted to imitate his stance.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 10:12pm
I know it's easy to say from the outside, but it's so not fair for people to blame themselves for missing signs. You'd have to be a psychologist to pick up on anything to really be concerned about. And now that death-obsessed memes are such a big thing, it's even harder to tell, but I imagine the self-blame will be even worse because of it.
And that was a big part of the family's post-suicide therapy, as a group and individually. To both understand what happened that led their son/brother to such a catastrophic decision and that it was beyond their capabilities to see what was happening and to let go of any guilt. But I don't know if a person can ever fully let that go.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 2:47pm
I haven't posted in awhile, but my best pace/time was on August 28th, a few seconds faster than the previous record from a few weeks before at 27:51 (same as the few weeks prior, but length is inaccurate and pace confirms this was my record) .

The last month or so, I have been slowly tapering due to heat waves and mostly extended poor air quality. I had been doing three runs, totaling about 20 miles a week and eventually dropped to one 6 to 8 mile run when the air quality would allow it. This morning I did my timed run and clocked i n at around 28:55, a minute slower than my best time a few weeks ago and my worst time in about 2 1/2 months. It's crazy that 3 or so weeks of poor/reduced training can reduce your progress by months. Interestingly, whereas my usual discomfort during races came from heart/lung/cardio limitations, I felt weakness in my muscles (specifically quads) today. Hopefully the air stays good and I can get back into it because this morning did not feel strong.

9:11 (record pace from 8/28) vs. 9:27 (today)
7:13 vs. 7:21
6:27 vs. 6:47
6:34 vs. 7:09

You can really see my run out of gas at the end.
Okay, I dropped my 3.75 mile time from 28:55 to 28:22, so maybe the previous week was just an off week to an extent? I only got one mid-week run in too, since someone stole my shoes off my front porch and I had to buy new ones. I didn't think people would be interested in fairly used shoes, but Oakland.

Skipped this weekend for my anniversary, but I'll try to get a midweek run in today, air quality and heat permitting. It got up to 99 yesterday and the air quality got bad again with new fires. I'm tired of this shit.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rowed for the first time in ten days (barred from serious exercise after the eye surgery). Jesus fuck did that feel good. There's undeniable addictive quality to it all.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:26am
Rowed for the first time in ten days (barred from serious exercise after the eye surgery). Jesus fuck did that feel good. There's undeniable addictive quality to it all.
How's the machine holding up?

We have more fire issues so I'm skipping my timed run today. Hoping to get a long run in this weekend if it clears up.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The first one lasted a bit over 800 kms; this one's over 1300 km now. I'm gradually losing my fear that the chain's gonna snap.
We have more fire issues so I'm skipping my timed run today. Hoping to get a long run in this weekend if it clears up.
Do you wear any kind of mask while running (for smoke, not virus)?

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 12:05pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The first one lasted a bit over 800 kms; this one's over 1300 km now. I'm gradually losing my fear that the chain's gonna snap.
I wear those disposable ones for virus. Not sure if it protects against smoke, I assume not. I figure I can wait it out, running is great, but not critical to my life.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 12:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I wear those disposable ones for virus. Not sure if it protects against smoke, I assume not. I figure I can wait it out, running is great, but not critical to my life.
Bah—casual exercise. If it doesn't dominate you, you're not accomplishing anything! :shifty:

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 12:15pm
matedog wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 12:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Bah—casual exercise. If it doesn't dominate you, you're not accomplishing anything! :shifty:
I do love the feeling after wrecking myself after a long run. Not as fun with a 3 year old running around vs. single Matey getting to fall asleep on the couch, but still.

I'm doing pull ups/push ups today instead. Self weight workouts are fun, but man they are not adding any weight. Since dropping 15 lbs, I can do way more, but I'm still skinny as shit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 12:18pm
I'm doing pull ups/push ups today instead. Self weight workouts are fun, but man they are not adding any weight. Since dropping 15 lbs, I can do way more, but I'm still skinny as shit.
That's one thing I didn't put up in our new place—my pull-up bar. Probably since I never got my much enjoyment from it. Still …

Since switching from bike to rower, I've put on about ten pounds. I don't think all of that is muscle, but some of it has to be. My clothes still fit fine and all that. Still, I've decided I should try to drop some it, so I'm cutting back on a lot of unnecessary consumption.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Since I really increased my stairs workouts and limited my running, my legs definitely bulked up - and I'm not really happy about it. I'm going to up my mileage (running) and play more tennis.

matedog

Post by matedog »

gkbill wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 7:23pm
Hello,

Since I really increased my stairs workouts and limited my running, my legs definitely bulked up - and I'm not really happy about it. I'm going to up my mileage (running) and play more tennis.
What baffled me is how much leg mass I lost doing my hill runs. My mileage is way up, but I thought the hills would maintain bulk. Maybe actual short distance hill or stair sprints is really all that works. Beyond leg training of course.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

matedog wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 7:53pm
gkbill wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 7:23pm
Hello,

What baffled me is how much leg mass I lost doing my hill runs. My mileage is way up, but I thought the hills would maintain bulk. Maybe actual short distance hill or stair sprints is really all that works. Beyond leg training of course.
Hello,

Unless you're doing your hill runs at a pretty close to sprint pace, you shouldn't see much change in mass. If you're maintaining a decent distance pace, you going too slow to bulk up.