IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by matedog »

Did my timed 3.75 mile run yesterday and tied my personal best (7:26 pace) which is pretty nuts given how choppy my runs have been the last couple months. I’d like to think Wally was part of the help to get me there as he was weighing heavy on my thoughts during the run. This was the main thing we bonded over here...other than Coldplay of course.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I am very happy that people who subscribe to the exercise programs that have those peloton exercise leader people are exercising, but I would subscribe to seeing those exercise leader people getting smacked (that sentence seems tricky to understand - hope my meaning is clear).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 11:17pm
Hello,

I am very happy that people who subscribe to the exercise programs that have those peloton exercise leader people are exercising, but I would subscribe to seeing those exercise leader people getting smacked (that sentence seems tricky to understand - hope my meaning is clear).
I have a kneejerk rage to people smiling while exercising, let alone cheerleading. I've been told that I look especially angry when riding the bike. (That's one of the things I like about rowing. I just plain don't feel quite so *intense* while doing it.)
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yay, the chain snapped on the replacement rower. So I'm going to seek (but don't expect) a refund on this hunk of junk. Great while it works, but apparently it's built to be used once a week. :angry:

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 11:24am
Yay, the chain snapped on the replacement rower. So I'm going to seek (but don't expect) a refund on this hunk of junk. Great while it works, but apparently it's built to be used once a week. :angry:
Doc, manhandling his rower equipment like a boss.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 11:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 11:24am
Doc, manhandling his rower equipment like a boss.
I demand to look like the Hulk if that's the case.

matedog

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 9:37am
Did my timed 3.75 mile run yesterday and tied my personal best (7:26 pace) which is pretty nuts given how choppy my runs have been the last couple months. I’d like to think Wally was part of the help to get me there as he was weighing heavy on my thoughts during the run. This was the main thing we bonded over here...other than Coldplay of course.
I had two bad weeks after the Wally run. One day was really hot, dry, and windy which put me a whole minute behind my PR. The week after, I was only about 20 seconds off my PR, but still slower than where I want to be. Last Friday though, I shaved about 10 seconds off my PR and dropped my PR pace from 7:26 to 7:23! I got in kind of a weird head space where I thought I was going slow, but my splits kept coming in at or below PR-pace. Good times.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 12:30pm
matedog wrote:
I had two bad weeks after the Wally run. One day was really hot, dry, and windy which put me a whole minute behind my PR. The week after, I was only about 20 seconds off my PR, but still slower than where I want to be. Last Friday though, I shaved about 10 seconds off my PR and dropped my PR pace from 7:26 to 7:23! I got in kind of a weird head space where I thought I was going slow, but my splits kept coming in at or below PR-pace. Good times.
Solid work, old man. It's a weird thing where your brain tells you you're doing worse than you are. Pretty much every time I think I'm doing shit and I have zero energy, my time ends up solid.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 1:16pm
matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:
Solid work, old man. It's a weird thing where your brain tells you you're doing worse than you are. Pretty much every time I think I'm doing shit and I have zero energy, my time ends up solid.
Yeah, weird stuff. Not sure the logic beyond the brain operating as such.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 2:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 1:16pm
matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:
Yeah, weird stuff. Not sure the logic beyond the brain operating as such.
Your standards are just higher now.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Part of what may happen is the blend between associative and disassociative strategies. An associative strategy is when you are regularly checking your body (e.g., How's my breathing? My legs feel good. My heart rate is pretty quick) versus a disassociative when you distract yourself form your body (e.g., This is a good track. What a great day/It's really hot. Look at that squirrel.) Think about your best runs. What percent of time were you checking on your body versus listening to music? Try to replicate that blend on your next run.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I've completely physically deteriorated over the course of the campaign (gained 25 pounds, awesome), but now that that shit is officially over I'm back on the running as of today. Feels like basically starting over again, but it's nice to just be back out there.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 2:25pm
I've completely physically deteriorated over the course of the campaign (gained 25 pounds, awesome), but now that that shit is officially over I'm back on the running as of today. Feels like basically starting over again, but it's nice to just be back out there.
Wow, politics is hell on the body! At least you get to experience the high of losing weight.

matedog

Post by matedog »

gkbill wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 9:54pm
Hello,

Part of what may happen is the blend between associative and disassociative strategies. An associative strategy is when you are regularly checking your body (e.g., How's my breathing? My legs feel good. My heart rate is pretty quick) versus a disassociative when you distract yourself form your body (e.g., This is a good track. What a great day/It's really hot. Look at that squirrel.) Think about your best runs. What percent of time were you checking on your body versus listening to music? Try to replicate that blend on your next run.
I have found music to be most inspiring for timed/fast runs and podcasts most helpful for long runs. The music tends to result in associative results since it usually isn't as engaging as a podcast. Interesting, I hadn't considered these two approaches.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 2:52pm
gkbill wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 9:54pm
Hello,

I have found music to be most inspiring for timed/fast runs and podcasts most helpful for long runs. The music tends to result in associative results since it usually isn't as engaging as a podcast. Interesting, I hadn't considered these two approaches.
I've tried riding with music and found it unproductively distracting. Nothing to do with the type of music or its BPM or anything like that, I'd just lose focus on what I was doing. Audiobooks hit a middle point for me of concentration and distraction.