Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 6:26pm
He demoed it, but Warren Zevon made some changes for the final version.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

#MakeMummiesDryAgain

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 10:08am

#MakeMummiesDryAgain
Maybe the slime is like with fish, to offer some protection from disease?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Attachments
20211025_182748.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 12:50pm
Christ Hands is way scarier.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 6:16am
Oops "Christ for Arms."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Started reading Secret Wars for the first time since maybe when it came out. It’s really fucking bad as a story. It comes off as lame fanfic when, in reality, it’s a big toy commercial. It’s around this time that I quit comics (maybe a year or so later) tho I don’t recall this being any kind of trigger. But now, man, it should have been.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 11:08pm
Started reading Secret Wars for the first time since maybe when it came out. It’s really fucking bad as a story. It comes off as lame fanfic when, in reality, it’s a big toy commercial. It’s around this time that I quit comics (maybe a year or so later) tho I don’t recall this being any kind of trigger. But now, man, it should have been.
Yeah I read that too when it came out. Did you stick around long enough for Secret Wars II? I still have mine around somewhere, both complete series. I was too young to notice how bad the stories might have been, and barely remember them now. New black Spiderman costume? Sign me up!
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 11:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 11:08pm
Yeah I read that too when it came out. Did you stick around long enough for Secret Wars II? I still have mine around somewhere, both complete series. I was too young to notice how bad the stories might have been, and barely remember them now. New black Spiderman costume? Sign me up!
I think I had a couple random issues of SWII, but I was done around that time.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Secret Wars is so obviously Jim Shooter slamming action figures together, but Secret Wars II is somehow so much worse because it’s the first real crossover to insist itself onto the entire line in continuity. At least the original was self-contained.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Though it does famously have a page where Spider-Man teaches the Beyonder (a godlike creature with Jheri curls dressed like Sonny Crockett) how to shit in a toilet.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 9:29am
Though it does famously have a page where Spider-Man teaches the Beyonder (a godlike creature with Jheri curls dressed like Sonny Crockett) how to shit in a toilet.
That rings a bell, so I must have had that issue.

The other thing about SW was that it took an entire year to fully play out, but in all the other books, it happened between issues. So for the next year (until SW concluded) the characters had all gone thru this remarkable event yet didn't speak much of what happened, talking around it, so as to not reveal things that wouldn't be published for several months. What a wretched editorial edict for the writers to labour under.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 9:40am
Wolter wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 9:29am
That rings a bell, so I must have had that issue.

The other thing about SW was that it took an entire year to fully play out, but in all the other books, it happened between issues. So for the next year (until SW concluded) the characters had all gone thru this remarkable event yet didn't speak much of what happened, talking around it, so as to not reveal things that wouldn't be published for several months. What a wretched editorial edict for the writers to labour under.
The worst thing in my book was that it gave Colossus a weird love interest that died, thus making him suddenly a mope who acted like a dick. Honestly, the naked contempt Shooter had was evident, because he wrote all the mutant characters like it was still 1975.