Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Wolter »

Honestly, other than the original Norman Osborn reveal, has a long term Spider-Man arc ever successfully pulled off a decent one? They absolutely botched the Hobgoblin reveal, ruining and killing off a perfectly good supporting character. And the bungling ineptitude of the Clone Saga and how it ended up is quasi-legendary.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Another observation: Peter has textual evidence over and over again if having brown eyes in dialogue, but comic book colorists consistently forgot that in the 70s because the comic book default for decades was white guy with brown hair and blue eyes.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 10:27am
Honestly, other than the original Norman Osborn reveal, has a long term Spider-Man arc ever successfully pulled off a decent one? They absolutely botched the Hobgoblin reveal, ruining and killing off a perfectly good supporting character. And the bungling ineptitude of the Clone Saga and how it ended up is quasi-legendary.
Interesting thought. I'd say the initial revelation that the clone had returned was good, but then got buried under nonsense, but that's the closest thing, so the answer has to be no.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Here's a weird thing about Octopus-the-derelict that I couldn't find while re-reading. I am 100% convinced that someone pointed out a clue as to his identity—he was holding a cup but we could also see his hands (meaning a third limb). But when I looked at those comics last night, I couldn't find it. I'd swear on a stack of Flex's cooked books that I'd read that catch and then found it myself, but I can't locate it now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 11:55am
Here's a weird thing about Octopus-the-derelict that I couldn't find while re-reading. I am 100% convinced that someone pointed out a clue as to his identity—he was holding a cup but we could also see his hands (meaning a third limb). But when I looked at those comics last night, I couldn't find it. I'd swear on a stack of Flex's cooked books that I'd read that catch and then found it myself, but I can't locate it now.
If I remember to look for it I will but I never noticed that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 12:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Duh. I found it. I mean, I looked at this over and over last night, knowing what to look for, and somehow still missed it. Row 2, Panel 2: two hands visible and something is holding the bottle to pour.
Amazing Spiderman 152-05.jpg

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 12:32pm
Wolter wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 12:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Duh. I found it. I mean, I looked at this over and over last night, knowing what to look for, and somehow still missed it. Row 2, Panel 2: two hands visible and something is holding the bottle to pour.
Amazing Spiderman 152-05.jpg
Oh dip. Cool.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

This guy doing the 78 annual back up story probably isn’t going anywhere, no matter how connected his dad is.
Attachments
E358461B-DF33-4B66-8BB8-4CE373474644.jpeg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 2:41pm
This guy doing the 78 annual back up story probably isn’t going anywhere, no matter how connected his dad is.
He's dreamy …

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Finished the Wein era, and it holds up as solid Spider-Man in my opinion. Good bronze age Marvel.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Was not expecting the word “Negroid” in a comic made in 1978, but here we are.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 3:41pm
Finished the Wein era, and it holds up as solid Spider-Man in my opinion. Good bronze age Marvel.
I'm pleased that you enjoyed it. I can't be critical of it, so I don't know of it's actually good to those who didn't discover the character thru them.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 3:59pm
Wolter wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 3:41pm
I'm pleased that you enjoyed it. I can't be critical of it, so I don't know of it's actually good to those who didn't discover the character thru them.
I am a sap for Bronze Marvel, though. So it’s tough to tell how much of that is my own biases.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

This panel aged...poorly.
A84E51D1-59F6-4206-B717-55EB96AC0553.jpeg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

From ASM #169. I believe Clancy and Michele won some kind of contest and got to appear in a Marvel book with Stan.
Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 12.14.50 PM.jpg