Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 5:24pm
Wolter wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 4:32pm
The Avengers are a surprising personal blind spot for me overall. It was never a book I read as a kid, so it never was one I’ve gone back to.
The first three issues are … jarring … for how Stan writes the Hulk. He seems more like a green Thing than the kind of brute caveman he was later characterized. And the Wasp is pretty horny for everyone.
Every time I see an old Avengers issue or set of panels from the 60s or 70s, I’m almost always a little surprised at how much of their time was spent in petty bickering. I know that was Stan’s MO, but it always seems like that was more of an X-Men or Defenders thing, and the Avengers should be more like the adults in the room.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 5:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
The Avengers are a surprising personal blind spot for me overall. It was never a book I read as a kid, so it never was one I’ve gone back to.
The first three issues are … jarring … for how Stan writes the Hulk. He seems more like a green Thing than the kind of brute caveman he was later characterized. And the Wasp is pretty horny for everyone.
Every time I see an old Avengers issue or set of panels from the 60s or 70s, I’m almost always a little surprised at how much of their time was spent in petty bickering. I know that was Stan’s MO, but it always seems like that was more of an X-Men or Defenders thing, and the Avengers should be more like the adults in the room.
Yeah, thus far it seems more like a throwaway book than something to counter JLA. Stan isn't exactly working hard. Even Kirby's art in those initial issues seem like something he blew thru over a weekend. Maybe things mature all around once Cap is defrosted.
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 20 Nov 2021, 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Avengers v1 008 (06).jpg
Panel 2: Stan's always convenient, highly aware expository civilians.
Panel 3: The Wasp's sex drive cannot be tamed!

(The previous issue, Iron Man was punished for missing an Avengers' call by … suspending him from being on call for a week. Um, Stan …?)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 6:13pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Yeah, thus far it seems more like a throwaway book than something to counter JLA. Stan isn't exactly working hard. Even Kirby's art in those initial issues seem like something he blew thru over a weekend. Maybe things mature all around once Cap is defrosted.
The early X-Men are like that too, barely any backgrounds. Definitely turns one off checking it out, at least until the Neal Adams period.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
The early X-Men are like that too, barely any backgrounds. Definitely turns one off checking it out, at least until the Neal Adams period.
With the exception of Spider-man and FF, digging into early Marvel Age books are a bit of a let down until around their third year and things start to firm up. DD, for example, is boring as hell until Gene Colan comes in.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 2:19pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

With the exception of Spider-man and FF, digging into early Marvel Age books are a bit of a let down until around their third year and things start to firm up. DD, for example, is boring as hell until Gene Colan comes in.
Dr. Strange was pretty decent right off the bat. As Ditko creations go, he's no Speedball, but who can possibly match that anyway?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 4:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 2:19pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Dr. Strange was pretty decent right off the bat. As Ditko creations go, he's no Speedball, but who can possibly match that anyway?
Never really got into Dr. Strange, but the setting brought out the best in Ditko's art. For such a straight grouch, he got psychedelia.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

With Kirby, always check the inker. Coletta was renowned for erasing background details out. However, Vince always hit deadlines, so he was never missing out for work.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 5:19pm
With Kirby, always check the inker. Coletta was renowned for erasing background details out. However, Vince always hit deadlines, so he was never missing out for work.
I didn't know that—very interesting! I have a vague recollection that Coletta was regarded as a rat within the biz, tho the details escape me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

George Pérez announced he has inoperable Stage 3 pancreatic cancer, with a prognosis of 6–12 mos. He's decided against treatment.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 6:12pm
George Pérez announced he has inoperable Stage 3 pancreatic cancer, with a prognosis of 6–12 mos. He's decided against treatment.
I honestly don't know who that is (not trying to be a jerk, I'm sorry), but it is always such a shame hearing this kind of news. I hope he has a pain free and peaceful rest of his time here.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 11:44am
I honestly don't know who that is (not trying to be a jerk, I'm sorry), but it is always such a shame hearing this kind of news. I hope he has a pain free and peaceful rest of his time here.
He's a great comic book artist - probably everyone who reads this thread has some beloved issues/art that he's done. Very influential. Very sad news.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 11:53am
JennyB wrote:
He's a great comic book artist - probably everyone who reads this thread has some beloved issues/art that he's done. Very influential. Very sad news.
I will check out his work. Thank you!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 11:53am
JennyB wrote:
He's also a rare figure in the comics biz whom everyone adores. I don't think I've ever heard a mean Pérez story.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Be good to the children.