Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 11:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 11:49am
revbob wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 11:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 8:09pm
tepista wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 7:57pm
I just gassed up the coffins, let's go to the strip club!
I think I speak for the community here in having no interest in something called "Bob Strip."
I wasn't gonna show you anything anyway.
You're a Yankees fan; I've seen how you people act when you've had a couple Coors Lights.
Ive literally never had a couple of Coors lights
Fine, fine—with you it's a dozen.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 8:00am
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 7:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Is this going to be our new Mark Trail
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 2:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Anything is better than the new Mark Trail .

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 2:03pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I can't even be bothered to read MT now. Maybe once a month or so I'll look and it's just flat out boring. But so is Judge Parker, so, no, it is not a substitute. Mary Worth is good fun, tho. I'd be up for a Mary Worth thread if people actually up for that kind of snark read.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 3:35pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I can't even be bothered to read MT now. Maybe once a month or so I'll look and it's just flat out boring. But so is Judge Parker, so, no, it is not a substitute. Mary Worth is good fun, tho. I'd be up for a Mary Worth thread if people actually up for that kind of snark read.
Contemporary Nancy is pretty good if we want to go on a less "realistic" route. But that's not really snarkworthy, it's just good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 3:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 3:35pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Contemporary Nancy is pretty good if we want to go on a less "realistic" route. But that's not really snarkworthy, it's just good.
Only CTC-level strips will be accepted.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

How is Rex Morgan MD these days. He used to be the Mark Trail of doctors.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 4:13pm
How is Rex Morgan MD these days. He used to be the Mark Trail of doctors.
I only know what's happening (sort of) via Comics Curmudgeon, but it isn't especially interesting.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The story of OCD LGBTQ Batman!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Apr 2022, 8:40am

The story of OCD LGBTQ Batman!
Bruce? Care to explain?
Attachments
Rainbow03.jpg
Rainbow03.jpg (34.77 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

What happened to John Byrne between his time on UXM and starting FF and Alpha Flight? His art is a lot sketchier (lazier?) on those following books, not as clean as I came to expect from his mutant work. Is it just that he was splitting the time writing and so he didn't have enough time to draw?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 May 2022, 4:36pm
What happened to John Byrne between his time on UXM and starting FF and Alpha Flight? His art is a lot sketchier (lazier?) on those following books, not as clean as I came to expect from his mutant work. Is it just that he was splitting the time writing and so he didn't have enough time to draw?
I actually prefer his art on FF (never read AF, so I can't comment) over UXM. Or maybe I'm not that enamoured with Terry Austin's inks. Either way, his FF is the high point of his career to me.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Picked these up recently, part of my rekindled love with All Things Western:
ImageImage

First EC Archives books I've bought from Dark Horse's reissue campaign. They look great - oversized, crisp, etc. I think the Archives line is rather controversial for the digital recoloring, and it looks good but definitely lacks the pulpy quality of scans of old EC Comics originals. Nice little forwards included. I was impressed by how enjoyable these were, especially for "pre-trend" EC. A lot of these are pretty violent, grisly tales that with EC's commitment to body counts and just - often ironic - desserts meted out to the bad guys at the end of every story they wouldn't take too much modification to appear in a New Trend title with, like, some decaying cowboy corpses or something. Out of the stories I've read so far, one in particular features a "true account" of Belle Starr (an interesting historical figure, a fairly mysterious member of the James-Younger Gang) which features her being literally stalked by the character Death over the years and ending up in a bad way at the end of her line. That one could simply be plopped into one of their later horror titles with no modification. One of the forwards makes the, I think correct, observation that while the moralizing of these stories is Classic Hollywood Western the body counts and subject matter really foretell the coming of the spaghetti and revisionist westerns that were a few years off on the horizon.

The artists working on the titles include a lot of house guys who would stay with EC on the new trend stuff, so it's all mostly great to look at, even when the story lacks. I'll probably pick up a few of their horror titles closer to Halloween, as REMEBERING will course through my veins then.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2022, 4:58pm
Kory wrote:
04 May 2022, 4:36pm
I actually prefer his art on FF (never read AF, so I can't comment) over UXM. Or maybe I'm not that enamoured with Terry Austin's inks. Either way, his FF is the high point of his career to me.
His faces seem so emaciated, it's really jarring. Everyone looks like an unwrapped mummy.