Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 9:00pm
Be good to the children.

The Boss was full-on into Harry Potter and will watch the movies when they come on. I went to see one of the movies in the theatre—don't ask me which one—but it isn't my thing. Just not into that stuff.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 9:00pm
Be good to the children.

Our daughter still watches everything and anything Harry Potter, drives her fiancé nuts.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Hmm, maybe this capitalism stuff is for suckers.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 10:24am
I can't see Pietro following anyone's orders. This villainous character has some kind of mind-control, right?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 2:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I can't see Pietro following anyone's orders. This villainous character has some kind of mind-control, right?
A heavily annotated copy of Atlas Shrugged is all he needs to conquer their weak minds.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 2:26pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A heavily annotated copy of Atlas Shrugged is all he needs to conquer their weak minds.
Is this Michael Caine?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 3:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 2:26pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Is this Michael Caine?
Cross-thread jokery! Now that's what sets this place apart from Fox News.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This connects with my recent watching of The Boys. Started reading the comic yesterday. I'm six or seven issues in and, perhaps because I found the adaptation first, I prefer the tv version. More so, however, there's a terrible blackness in the comic w/r/t human character. Thus far, people on all sides are really awful because they can be. Not so much that Ennis doesn't like/trust superheroes, but that, like Bill Gaines said in the 50s re. EC's comics, "people are no damn good." We're monsters seeking an opportunity. The tv series shades strongly to blaming late capitalism for encouraging and rewarding people to do awful things—and shows growing numbers rejecting and revolting against the cancer on their humanity—but the comic so far just exudes in nastiness. In the tv series, some people resist, some revel in brutality—there's real tension there in terms of how people respond to ideology and reward/punishment. I'll keep reading, but not sure I'll be able to make it to the end because, so far anyway, its depiction of humanity is so dark.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IMG_0012.PNG
IMG_0012.PNG (410.11 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
Marvel knew how to talk to the kids at their own level.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... irrel-girl

Some lunatic wrote a book about reading every single Marvel comic. :twitch:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 8:40pm
This connects with my recent watching of The Boys. Started reading the comic yesterday. I'm six or seven issues in and, perhaps because I found the adaptation first, I prefer the tv version. More so, however, there's a terrible blackness in the comic w/r/t human character. Thus far, people on all sides are really awful because they can be. Not so much that Ennis doesn't like/trust superheroes, but that, like Bill Gaines said in the 50s re. EC's comics, "people are no damn good." We're monsters seeking an opportunity. The tv series shades strongly to blaming late capitalism for encouraging and rewarding people to do awful things—and shows growing numbers rejecting and revolting against the cancer on their humanity—but the comic so far just exudes in nastiness. In the tv series, some people resist, some revel in brutality—there's real tension there in terms of how people respond to ideology and reward/punishment. I'll keep reading, but not sure I'll be able to make it to the end because, so far anyway, its depiction of humanity is so dark.
Well it IS Ennis—he's not really known for positivity in general. I agree that it leans pretty hard into darkness but I still think it's better than Preacher. But neither of them are as good as Transmetropolitan, which always reads like Warren Ellis doing Garth Ennis to me.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

The C&H and second Far Side ones are the best.