Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 3:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 8:40pm
This connects with my recent watching of The Boys. Started reading the comic yesterday. I'm six or seven issues in and, perhaps because I found the adaptation first, I prefer the tv version. More so, however, there's a terrible blackness in the comic w/r/t human character. Thus far, people on all sides are really awful because they can be. Not so much that Ennis doesn't like/trust superheroes, but that, like Bill Gaines said in the 50s re. EC's comics, "people are no damn good." We're monsters seeking an opportunity. The tv series shades strongly to blaming late capitalism for encouraging and rewarding people to do awful things—and shows growing numbers rejecting and revolting against the cancer on their humanity—but the comic so far just exudes in nastiness. In the tv series, some people resist, some revel in brutality—there's real tension there in terms of how people respond to ideology and reward/punishment. I'll keep reading, but not sure I'll be able to make it to the end because, so far anyway, its depiction of humanity is so dark.
Well it IS Ennis—he's not really known for positivity in general. I agree that it leans pretty hard into darkness but I still think it's better than Preacher. But neither of them are as good as Transmetropolitan, which always reads like Warren Ellis doing Garth Ennis to me.
I ended up abandoning reading the series. Mopey 17-year-old me might have found that appealing, but it's too much of a grind now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 3:42pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This connects with my recent watching of The Boys. Started reading the comic yesterday. I'm six or seven issues in and, perhaps because I found the adaptation first, I prefer the tv version. More so, however, there's a terrible blackness in the comic w/r/t human character. Thus far, people on all sides are really awful because they can be. Not so much that Ennis doesn't like/trust superheroes, but that, like Bill Gaines said in the 50s re. EC's comics, "people are no damn good." We're monsters seeking an opportunity. The tv series shades strongly to blaming late capitalism for encouraging and rewarding people to do awful things—and shows growing numbers rejecting and revolting against the cancer on their humanity—but the comic so far just exudes in nastiness. In the tv series, some people resist, some revel in brutality—there's real tension there in terms of how people respond to ideology and reward/punishment. I'll keep reading, but not sure I'll be able to make it to the end because, so far anyway, its depiction of humanity is so dark.
Well it IS Ennis—he's not really known for positivity in general. I agree that it leans pretty hard into darkness but I still think it's better than Preacher. But neither of them are as good as Transmetropolitan, which always reads like Warren Ellis doing Garth Ennis to me.
I ended up abandoning reading the series. Mopey 17-year-old me might have found that appealing, but it's too much of a grind now.
You calling me a mopey 17-year-old, boy??
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 3:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
When was the last time you listened to the Cure …? :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 3:47pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Like an hour ago :disshame:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 3:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'm surprised you have the joie de vivre to post.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 4:09pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It takes a LOT of effort. Just look at my post count.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 4:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Be happy(ishesque) like me and watch that post counter just spin like crazy!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 4:22pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Looks like you're hitting the 100,000 mark next month. Hope we are all invited to the party.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 4:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Looks like you're hitting the 100,000 mark next month. Hope we are all invited to the party.
I assume you all bid a fond adieu as I'm set adrift on an ice floe.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

That was good, I can see how most of those work really well.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 4:49pm
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Isn't this your second reference to an ice floe in like a week?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 5:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I don't think so, but I am fond of the idea of being exiled for being old and useless.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 6:06pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I don't think so, but I am fond of the idea of being exiled for being old and useless.
Yeah looks like the last time was October last year. You have a history of referencing them here though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 7:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Olaf wrote:

Yeah looks like the last time was October last year. You have a history of referencing them here though.
Heh—I had no idea that was an idiomatic tic. I will mention that I like the idea of a retirement home called The Ice Floe.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 7:14pm
Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 7:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Heh—I had no idea that was an idiomatic tic. I will mention that I like the idea of a retirement home called The Ice Floe.
Ok THAT'S your second reference in a week.

I hope I'm in your will as the guy who puts you on the floe. I'd do a good job!