Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84175
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla » 24 Jun 2019, 2:42pm

Image
Took a break from writing to (re)read this. When I was a kid, my public library had a whole bunch of the Tintin (and Asterix) books, which I'd sign out over and over again. There's a lot of European racist imperialist fantasy at work—the white man in peril amongst the savages—but the combination of nostalgia and the awe-filled adventure still succeeds for me.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 52559
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Wolter » 24 Jun 2019, 4:44pm

True story:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 9515
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by revbob » 24 Jun 2019, 7:37pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 2:42pm
Image
Took a break from writing to (re)read this. When I was a kid, my public library had a whole bunch of the Tintin (and Asterix) books, which I'd sign out over and over again. There's a lot of European racist imperialist fantasy at work—the white man in peril amongst the savages—but the combination of nostalgia and the awe-filled adventure still succeeds for me.
Yeah thats pretty much my take on this stuff. Someone bought a book for my kid and I hated it. He wanted me to read it and I was constantly trying to neutralize the bullshit while reading it to him.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84175
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla » 24 Jun 2019, 8:06pm

revbob wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 7:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 2:42pm
Image
Took a break from writing to (re)read this. When I was a kid, my public library had a whole bunch of the Tintin (and Asterix) books, which I'd sign out over and over again. There's a lot of European racist imperialist fantasy at work—the white man in peril amongst the savages—but the combination of nostalgia and the awe-filled adventure still succeeds for me.
Yeah thats pretty much my take on this stuff. Someone bought a book for my kid and I hated it. He wanted me to read it and I was constantly trying to neutralize the bullshit while reading it to him.
There are some Tintin stories that stay away from that crap. Still, it's a bit shocking at times realizing the stuff that I glossed over as a kid.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 52559
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Wolter » 24 Jun 2019, 10:40pm

Oh yeah. The good Tintin stories are excellent but the bad ones. WHOO BOY.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 10901
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Kory » 26 Jun 2019, 2:03pm

Wolter wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 4:44pm
True story:
But what would we do without Dark Avengers?
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 9412
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Inder » 03 Jul 2019, 8:57pm

If true, this is kind of sad — in the same sort of way if the Simpsons quietly disappeared one day without any announcement or fanfare. I don't know anyone who's read a new MAD issue since like the early 90s, but it feels like the end of something.


Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84175
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Jul 2019, 9:25pm

Inder wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 8:57pm
If true, this is kind of sad — in the same sort of way if the Simpsons quietly disappeared one day without any announcement or fanfare. I don't know anyone who's read a new MAD issue since like the early 90s, but it feels like the end of something.

Ultimately it was a victim of its own success. It guided a certain cynical and snarky view of celebrity and traditional morality to such a degree that it's commonplace. So much so that what it specialized in felt too meh. I adored it in the 70s and esrly 80s, but even when looking at old issues, there's a certain shrug now, a cynicism applied to the teacher.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 28261
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Flex » 04 Jul 2019, 12:26am

Lived the mag as a kid, sad both that it's shutting down and how much of a shadow of its former self it became.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 10901
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Kory » 05 Jul 2019, 1:31pm

I just picked up a lovingly hardbound and slipcased collection of the magazine Humbug, which came after Mad and Trump. Looks to be the height of satire, despite only running for (I think) 12 issues.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84175
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla » 05 Jul 2019, 1:35pm

Kory wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 1:31pm
I just picked up a lovingly hardbound and slipcased collection of the magazine Humbug, which came after Mad and Trump. Looks to be the height of satire, despite only running for (I think) 12 issues.
I've never heard of this but wish I'd known about it when I was researching for my diss, as it looks quite rich.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 10901
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Kory » 05 Jul 2019, 1:44pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 1:35pm
Kory wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 1:31pm
I just picked up a lovingly hardbound and slipcased collection of the magazine Humbug, which came after Mad and Trump. Looks to be the height of satire, despite only running for (I think) 12 issues.
I've never heard of this but wish I'd known about it when I was researching for my diss, as it looks quite rich.
Yeah, I couldn't NOT pick it up after flipping through it. Have yet to read it though.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84175
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla » 09 Jul 2019, 8:09am

For those who don't read Mark Trail—i.e., everyone except me and revbob—the search for Doc's gold has been like real gold prospecting: fucking dull and tedious. But gold-mining lore expert JJ, seemingly killed in a flash flood, has reappeared to explain the perils of entrepreneurship:
Image
Image

Tomorrow: Mark recommends buying municipal bonds as both a solid financial investment and an investment in civic culture.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 28261
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Flex » 09 Jul 2019, 9:47am

see folks? capitalism doesn't work!
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 10901
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Kory » 09 Jul 2019, 12:31pm

How are they not gazing in wonder at that wolf hunt behind them?
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests