Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Pets.

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 7:51am
"Draw me like one of your French girls."
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 11:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
"Maybe I will buy that speedboat. Treat myself for a change."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

What are people's experiences with letting cats out for the first time? Kosmo was neutered today so he'll be ready to head into the big wide world soon. My only concern is my next door neighbour who I share a yard with also has a cat.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 3:58pm
What are people's experiences with letting cats out for the first time? Kosmo was neutered today so he'll be ready to head into the big wide world soon. My only concern is my next door neighbour who I share a yard with also has a cat.
We've never had outdoor cats. So many bad things can happen. Being neutered he's not likely to look to get into scraps, but it doesn't mean the scraps won't come to him. But it's a roll of the dice, fundamentally, in terms of getting lost, getting hit by a car, etc. Our cats don't even bother trying to go out. They know their world and are happy with it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 4:08pm
Heston wrote:
We've never had outdoor cats. So many bad things can happen. Being neutered he's not likely to look to get into scraps, but it doesn't mean the scraps won't come to him. But it's a roll of the dice, fundamentally, in terms of getting lost, getting hit by a car, etc. Our cats don't even bother trying to go out. They know their world and are happy with it.
I know there's a school of thought that says keep 'em in, and I would never criticise that. It's just I grew up with cats that went out, and I live in a pretty quiet area. I'll obviously be worried sick at first but I've googled all the safety aspects and I'm happy to let him roam a bit.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 4:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 4:08pm
Heston wrote:
I know there's a school of thought that says keep 'em in, and I would never criticise that. It's just I grew up with cats that went out, and I live in a pretty quiet area. I'll obviously be worried sick at first but I've googled all the safety aspects and I'm happy to let him roam a bit.
Yeah, I understand that. Growing up, our cat was an outdoor kitty. Without testicles-on-the-brain, he won't be as inclined to go far and his sense of territoriality won't be strong. How he deals with other cats is a bit of a crapshoot.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
We've decided our cats would be indoor to keep them healthier and live a longer, stress reduced life. Our previous outdoor cats were getting in fights, exposed to various feline viruses etc.. Our indoor cats seem to live few extra years, they have no stress or worries, spoiled rotten.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston

Post by Heston »

Sparky wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 7:51pm
Heston wrote:
We've decided our cats would be indoor to keep them healthier and live a longer, stress reduced life. Our previous outdoor cats were getting in fights, exposed to various feline viruses etc.. Our indoor cats seem to live few extra years, they have no stress or worries, spoiled rotten.
Are they being denied any wild instincts though? And exercise?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 8:06pm
Sparky wrote:
Heston wrote:
We have 3 from the same litter, so they get all the exercise they need chasing each other around! They hunt plenty of insects that get in the house, flies and spiders are their indoor prey.

Sometimes we let them out in our back patio for some exploring, provided we're out there with them to keep them from getting in to mischief. The little girl has decided wasps are a formidable foe to be stalked, pounced on and pinned to the ground. So far we've been lucky, she hasn't been stung.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Sparky wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 8:26pm
Heston wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Heston wrote:
We have 3 from the same litter, so they get all the exercise they need chasing each other around! They hunt plenty of insects that get in the house, flies and spiders are their indoor prey.

Sometimes we let them out in our back patio for some exploring, provided we're out there with them to keep them from getting in to mischief. The little girl has decided wasps are a formidable foe to be stalked, pounced on and pinned to the ground. So far we've been lucky, she hasn't been stung.
My other point would be it's probably better if you have two (or more) cats if they're gonna be house cats. Company reasons etc.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 8:34pm
Sparky wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 8:26pm
Heston wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Heston wrote:

My other point would be it's probably better if you have two (or more) cats if they're gonna be house cats. Company reasons etc.
Agreed, they may be lonely at first, but I think with lots of love and attention, they'll substitute you and the family for their "buds" .

I've had one, single cat once before, she started life as a stray who was hanging around my Mom's house, I adopted her, lived in an apartment and was gone a lot due to work, so she became an indoor cat. She wanted out at first, but I think she ultimately realized how good she had it being indoors, especially with bad weather.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

JennyB wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 11:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
"Will do, but I'll have to add more armpit hair."
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Kitten Bowl is on right now and we are completely transfixed.

edit: Zoë was also (briefly) transfixed.
IMG_5036.jpeg
IMG_5036.jpeg (150.83 KiB) Viewed 2729 times

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 3:32pm

IMG_5036.jpeg
Wow, I wasn't aware there was a kitten bowl, only a puppy bowl. Too bad, my cats would have loved to have seen it. Maybe next year.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 8:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 3:32pm

IMG_5036.jpeg
Wow, I wasn't aware there was a kitten bowl, only a puppy bowl. Too bad, my cats would have loved to have seen it. Maybe next year.
We had to turn the channel whenever they showed special needs cats, but the stuff with kittens being goofs was total bliss. Love my adult cats as much as life itself, but kittens are unqualified happiness.