Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Pets.

Post by Heston »

I've had my kitten for nearly 2 weeks now and he hasn't meowed once. Is this normal? He's about 12 weeks old.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 2:31pm
I've had my kitten for nearly 2 weeks now and he hasn't meowed once. Is this normal? He's about 12 weeks old.
I wouldn't worry. Some cats aren't talkers or can take a while (we have one chatterbox, one moderately talkative, and one who only talks when the food bowl is being put down). I read once that it's theorized that cats learned to talk to us by observation of how babies crying get their parents' attention, so cats started meowing at us in the same way. So maybe he just has no reason to get your attention at this point.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 2:46pm
Heston wrote:
I wouldn't worry. Some cats aren't talkers or can take a while (we have one chatterbox, one moderately talkative, and one who only talks when the food bowl is being put down). I read once that it's theorized that cats learned to talk to us by observation of how babies crying get their parents' attention, so cats started meowing at us in the same way. So maybe he just has no reason to get your attention at this point.
Thanks Doc.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Heston wrote:
It took my boy cat years to meow and when he did it sounded like a breathy "kill." He's almost 13 and still doesn't meow like a normal cat. It sounds like he's gagging. lol

Heston

Post by Heston »

Mimi wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 7:04pm
Heston wrote:
It took my boy cat years to meow and when he did it sounded like a breathy "kill." He's almost 13 and still doesn't meow like a normal cat. It sounds like he's gagging. lol
Kosmo has been totally silent so far. Just purrs at 120 decibels.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 7:17pm
Mimi wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kosmo has been totally silent so far. Just purrs at 120 decibels.
Yeah that's very common. I've had lots of cats in the past. Some meow only when they are hungry or want to come in. One of my cats "Duke" i don't think I ever heard him meow in all the years I had him.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
Heston wrote:
Charlotte has a wholly inept meow. On the very few times she'll vocalize, it's kind of a Marilyn Monroe breathy pseudo-meow. Or like she's meowing a pssst to us.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 8:27pm
JennyB wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 12:44pm
I named him Latke and he already has a theme song to the tune of Alec Eiffel by the Pixies. "Little Latke swims in the fish tank. Little Latke. Little Latke." Here's his picture with his roommate Matzoh Ball. He will be changing colors now that he's in a warm, filtered tank. So I'm excited to see that.
Hi Jenny. That’s a beautiful little fish. I always feel sorry for those bettas when I see them in small plastic cups at my local fish store. I’m sure he’s happy to have more space. I keep a few fish too, mostly wild-type livebearers. I’ll try to find a photo.
I know. I hate it. I always do rescue, even our guinea pigs are rescues, but they don't have betta rescue groups. I wish those stores would stop selling all animals, even fish.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kimmelweck wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 12:06am
This is a male redtail splitfin goodeid from the Rio Tamazula in the state of Jalisco, Mexico, about 70 miles inland from the Pacific coast in west-central Mexico. He’s about an inch long and a year and a half old. His name is “Fish Number 4”. He lives in a 20 gallon breeding tank with his brother Larry and several females. They are critically endangered in the wild due mostly to agricultural runoff from nearby sugarcane farms that have silted up the one or two small rocky streams where they exist. I started with five of them and now have about 30 that were born in my tanks.
He's beautiful! I love his coloring - I imagine it looks different from different angles.
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 7:40pm
Mimi wrote:
Heston wrote:
Charlotte has a wholly inept meow. On the very few times she'll vocalize, it's kind of a Marilyn Monroe breathy pseudo-meow. Or like she's meowing a pssst to us.
"Happy Birthday, Doctor M.."
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 12:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 7:40pm
Mimi wrote:
Heston wrote:
"Happy Birthday, Doctor M.."
Ewwwwwwww.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

JennyB wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 12:22pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 8:27pm
JennyB wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 12:44pm
I named him Latke and he already has a theme song to the tune of Alec Eiffel by the Pixies. "Little Latke swims in the fish tank. Little Latke. Little Latke." Here's his picture with his roommate Matzoh Ball. He will be changing colors now that he's in a warm, filtered tank. So I'm excited to see that.
Hi Jenny. That’s a beautiful little fish. I always feel sorry for those bettas when I see them in small plastic cups at my local fish store. I’m sure he’s happy to have more space. I keep a few fish too, mostly wild-type livebearers. I’ll try to find a photo.
I know. I hate it. I always do rescue, even our guinea pigs are rescues, but they don't have betta rescue groups. I wish those stores would stop selling all animals, even fish.
That’s great that you do rescues. I have some close friends who do that too. They have the sweetest 3-legged cat and a dog that was rehabbing from being hit by a car. I’d like to see most of the chain pet stores go away at least. Birds especially. As for fish, I have 3 $1.69 cardinal tetras in one of my tanks that I've had for close to 4 years. They come from the Amazon basin in Columbia and Venezuela, and many indigenous fishermen make a living catching them. There is concern that without this trade they might look to other options that increase the threat of deforestation. It’s a tough call. I’m mostly ok with the fish trade as long as the pet store takes care of their tanks properly. Unfortunately many fish probably die during initial shipping.

To reply to your other post, yeah, my redtail splitfin males have an iridescence that changes depending on the angle, and they get more colorful when they are showing off or jostling with each other. They look especially great when there is a little natural sunlight filtering in. Makes me want to take up watercolor painting.
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston

Post by Heston »

The first time he has sat still for a photo. Definitely should have given him a KISS related name...
kos3.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 7:11pm
The first time he has sat still for a photo. Definitely should have given him a KISS related name...

kos3.jpg
Fluffy little monster. Definitely looks like he's wearing a mask. God damn but kittens are great.