Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Pets.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 7:08pm
My wife had a pet story in the Globe today.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2 ... story.html
Paywalled. :sad:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 11:05am
Lately, I've been wiping a damp paper towel over my cat's fur, and they love it. Not sure if it's because it's hotter than a mofo or if it mimics mom's tongue or what. Licorice loves it which is unusual as she hates to get that intense level of grooming.
Is this something you just discovered or did you have it recommended to you?

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 11:50am
Mimi wrote:
Lately, I've been wiping a damp paper towel over my cat's fur, and they love it. Not sure if it's because it's hotter than a mofo or if it mimics mom's tongue or what. Licorice loves it which is unusual as she hates to get that intense level of grooming.
I just did it on my own.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 11:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I just did it on my own.
So does she immediately clean herself after being rubbed? I think cleaning is a way that they cool off, so that might initiate that cooling mechanism.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 12:55pm
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I just did it on my own.
So does she immediately clean herself after being rubbed? I think cleaning is a way that they cool off, so that might initiate that cooling mechanism.
Not really. She just sits there and purrs contently.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I just did it on my own.
None of our cats are averse to water, but I can't imagine them being into that. But anything that makes her happy, right?

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 4:00pm
Mimi wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I just did it on my own.
None of our cats are averse to water, but I can't imagine them being into that. But anything that makes her happy, right?
Lic loves water. She's always splashing her bowl water all over the floor in the summer. She's weird.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Mimi wrote:
Unrelated sorry but Licorice is a damn awesome name for a cat, super cute.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

BitterTom wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 5:16pm
Mimi wrote:
Unrelated sorry but Licorice is a damn awesome name for a cat, super cute.
Thanks. She's a high-maintenance torbie with a lot of attitude.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Ok so yesterday we're cleaning upstairs and have to change the baby's nappy, or diaper for our mates over the pond. No problem where to put it, we've a bin bag right open, bag it up chuck it in, done. Disgusting Roxy goes behind our backs, rips it open and eats the contents. Woke up this morning to a very ill looking dog. She was shaking, bad sickness and diarrhoea, we're obviously concerned. Took her to the vets and when we get there, she starts to perk up. Still wanted to get her checked out though. We were in there for less than 10 minutes. Told by the vet it obviously didn't agree with her stomach but she's over the worst of it and he even said she was being a bit precious about it. She left the building wagging her tail as though nothing had happened. I left the building £102 lighter for a 5 minute consultation and a stomach calming injection.

One expensive nappy change.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BitterTom wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 10:23am
Ok so yesterday we're cleaning upstairs and have to change the baby's nappy, or diaper for our mates over the pond. No problem where to put it, we've a bin bag right open, bag it up chuck it in, done. Disgusting Roxy goes behind our backs, rips it open and eats the contents. Woke up this morning to a very ill looking dog. She was shaking, bad sickness and diarrhoea, we're obviously concerned. Took her to the vets and when we get there, she starts to perk up. Still wanted to get her checked out though. We were in there for less than 10 minutes. Told by the vet it obviously didn't agree with her stomach but she's over the worst of it and he even said she was being a bit precious about it. She left the building wagging her tail as though nothing had happened. I left the building £102 lighter for a 5 minute consultation and a stomach calming injection.

Stories like this remind me why I dont have a dog.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 10:33am
BitterTom wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 10:23am

The dumb things that house monsters do is astounding. My mother often tells me that my dad paid a vet to do one thing and one thing only—spaying/neutering. If they got sick, they got better on their own or died. If they were injured or old, he'd … take care of it. I'm aghast at that attitude, but he grew up on a farm and animals were not family.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 10:43am
revbob wrote:

The dumb things that house monsters do is astounding. My mother often tells me that my dad paid a vet to do one thing and one thing only—spaying/neutering. If they got sick, they got better on their own or died. If they were injured or old, he'd … take care of it. I'm aghast at that attitude, but he grew up on a farm and animals were not family.
I'm referring more to the shit eating rather than vet bills
But yeah on farms cats and dogs are more utilitarian.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

revbob wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 11:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 10:43am
revbob wrote:

I'm referring more to the shit eating rather than vet bills
But yeah on farms cats and dogs are more utilitarian.
Even worse with Roxy, she's a big licker, she licks everything so trying to stop her with her shitty mouth wasn't easy.