Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: Pets.

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 12:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 12:12pm
JennyB wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 12:01pm
A few months ago, I got a nerite snail for my 10 gallon betta tank. I already had a mystery snail, which is much bigger, but it doesn't clean the algae that accumulates on the glass as well as nerites do. But the nerite snail disappeared and hasn't been seen for months, so I just assumed it died. Until yesterday morning. IT'S ALIVE!!!
Which means it has the ability to escape the aquarium—teleportation? inter-dimensional shifting?—or simply become invisible. Either way, you have a very valuable snail that could hold the key to the future of life on this planet.
Indeed. They are powerful creatures.

The mystery snail, which is fucking huge, managed to escape the tank for TWO DAYS without notice. And it survived! These things are evolutionary miracles.
They can do shit like that? Wow. :scared:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 12:30pm
JennyB wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 12:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 12:12pm
JennyB wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 12:01pm
A few months ago, I got a nerite snail for my 10 gallon betta tank. I already had a mystery snail, which is much bigger, but it doesn't clean the algae that accumulates on the glass as well as nerites do. But the nerite snail disappeared and hasn't been seen for months, so I just assumed it died. Until yesterday morning. IT'S ALIVE!!!
Which means it has the ability to escape the aquarium—teleportation? inter-dimensional shifting?—or simply become invisible. Either way, you have a very valuable snail that could hold the key to the future of life on this planet.
Indeed. They are powerful creatures.

The mystery snail, which is fucking huge, managed to escape the tank for TWO DAYS without notice. And it survived! These things are evolutionary miracles.
They can do shit like that? Wow. :scared:
Yep. There's a smallish area near the filter which isn't covered. They are really fascinating little creatures.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's our girls' birthday today—11 years old!—so the Boss and I blasted competing birthday songs at them, 50 Cent and The Beatles. The results suggest they'd rather sleep than acknowledge, like, anything.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 8:46pm
It's our girls' birthday today—11 years old!—so the Boss and I blasted competing birthday songs at them, 50 Cent and The Beatles. The results suggest they'd rather sleep than acknowledge, like, anything.
Happy birthday to those little miscreants!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 12:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Happy birthday to those little miscreants!
Thank you! The old ladies keep humming along!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Attachments
Cat BD Cake.jpg
Cat BD Cake.jpg (67.92 KiB) Viewed 978 times
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 2:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Now that's the move of their barely tolerated little brother.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Anybody else having trouble getting pet food these days? One of ours cats requires a prescription diet, so we feed all 3 the same food. Haven't been able to find the canned stuff since December. Drove 104 miles round trip today to 2 pet shops whose website showed they had it available in store, but they won't do stock checks over the phone. You guessed it, got there, neither had any. Feeding them the prescription kibble and rationing the canned right now, they're not too happy. :cry:

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Sparky wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 9:45pm
Anybody else having trouble getting pet food these days? One of ours cats requires a prescription diet, so we feed all 3 the same food. Haven't been able to find the canned stuff since December. Drove 104 miles round trip today to 2 pet shops whose website showed they had it available in store, but they won't do stock checks over the phone. You guessed it, got there, neither had any. Feeding them the prescription kibble and rationing the canned right now, they're not too happy. :cry:
It's horrible. As soon as I see the kind I buy, I snatch all of it up. Even tho I have a kidney cat, her numbers are stable enough that I don't need perscription so Fancy Feast pate it is. It's all she'll eat anyway.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
Can you order it online directly from a supplier? That's what I've started doing because buying in bulk that way also saves some money.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 7:22am
Sparky wrote:
Can you order it online directly from a supplier? That's what I've started doing because buying in bulk that way also saves some money.
We have both dry & wet on auto-ship with Chewy, but like the others, they're unable to get the wet food and the manufacturer doesn't sell directly from their site. I called them earlier this week, they said the shortages may continue through 2022, we certainly hope they're wrong about that, because we've tried other prescription brand food and he still got urinary crystals, so we're sticking with what's working best for us.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 11:19pm
Sparky wrote:
It's horrible. As soon as I see the kind I buy, I snatch all of it up. Even tho I have a kidney cat, her numbers are stable enough that I don't need perscription so Fancy Feast pate it is. It's all she'll eat anyway.
We found the kibble is still available, so we picked up a couple of extra bags of that just to play it safe.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 10:05am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
We have both dry & wet on auto-ship with Chewy, but like the others, they're unable to get the wet food and the manufacturer doesn't sell directly from their site. I called them earlier this week, they said the shortages may continue through 2022, we certainly hope they're wrong about that, because we've tried other prescription brand food and he still got urinary crystals, so we're sticking with what's working best for us.
Ooof. Have you contacted your vet as to whether they have some supplies? Just curious whether they might have a more reliable supplier given their status.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 11:21am
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Ooof. Have you contacted your vet as to whether they have some supplies? Just curious whether they might have a more reliable supplier given their status.
Yes, unfortunately our vet only carries one prescription brand (Hills Science Diet), which works well for some but ours continued to have issues, so he suggested we try Royal Canin, which seems to be working well. They can get by on the kibble but we use the wet to hide cranberry powder, which was also recommended by our vet, to help with our little guys urinary problems. Sprinkling it on the dry doesn't seem to ensure that he's getting a full scoop each day.
I'm going to contact our vet and see if adding some chicken or beef broth to their kibble in order to simulate wet food would cause any issues with his crystals.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 11:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 11:21am
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Yes, unfortunately our vet only carries one prescription brand (Hills Science Diet), which works well for some but ours continued to have issues, so he suggested we try Royal Canin, which seems to be working well. They can get by on the kibble but we use the wet to hide cranberry powder, which was also recommended by our vet, to help with our little guys urinary problems. Sprinkling it on the dry doesn't seem to ensure that he's getting a full scoop each day.
I'm going to contact our vet and see if adding some chicken or beef broth to their kibble in order to simulate wet food would cause any issues with his crystals.
A thought: Depending on how much cranberry powder you use, could you put it in pill pockets? That might get to be kind pricey, tho. But if the cranberry is effective in breaking down urinary crystals, could you apply it to regular old wet food? (Or maybe I'm misinterpreting and you're already doing that.) But I can't imagine why chicken or beef broth would be problematic. Or, assuming porridge wouldn't be harmful, mixing the cranberry with hot oatmeal could work.