Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Pets.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 1:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 1:45pm
Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 1.43.19 PM.jpeg
So true. We've always said that being a pet in our house is good work if you can get it.
If reincarnation is a thing, I want to come back as a housecat to dumb suckers like the Boss and I. When the worst part of your day is getting yelled at for being underfoot during feeding, your life is better than a Russian oligarch's.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Thanks all.

Re: our dog, if we can get her rehomed with someone we trust we'd be all over that immediately. To that end, I trust any regular here and if you think there's any chance you'd be willing to take in a sweet but persnickety geriatric dog to make sure her final years are comfortable, hit me up in the PMs. I literally will drive anywhere in the lower 48 states, for real.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

20221023_192116.jpg
These two.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 7:23pm
20221023_192116.jpg

These two.
Very cute. Amazes me how cats always seem find a cushy, soft place to nap.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 7:23pm
20221023_192116.jpg

These two.
Nobody sleeps with grace like a cat.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Somewhat interesting dog update: we brought her to her vet today and were surprised that we were NOT recommended euthanasia, as had been the feedback we've been getting to date. After examining her, the vet recommended upping her anti-anxiety medication, adding another anxiety medication, and adding some meds to help with arthritis and suggested some long term medications if we do end up success rehoming her. Were going to see how the new drug mix works over the weekend and then continue reaching out to rescues and our personal circles to see if anyone would be willing to care for a dog now that we can say we think we're successfully managing her behavior. Still not sure whether it will ultimately be successful, but after hearing back from some supposed no-kill rescues that they won't help and we should just euthanize our dog (I guess it's no kill if they just make us do it!) this at least seems like a sliver of hope.

That brings a personal pang of regret too - I'll probably wonder for the rest of my life if we had scheduled a vet appointment a few weeks earlier if we could have gotten her medicated and avoided the biting incident altogether. We had her scheduled for a regular checkup in November. Honestly, if the meds are effective, and it were just up to me, I'd probably try to keep her with the knowledge that she can handle being separated in the house better now. For better or worse though, with both mine and the missus' grandparents involved with childcare they essentially functionally get a vote and my mother in law is already pissed that our vet didn't tell us to just put her down. Politically not feasible to keep her unless we want to potentially lose the childcare help, which we don't (and can't afford to).

Our personal contact network has been striking out on rehoming, so I'll throw out again that if anyone has any ability to home an older dog who will imminently be going on a better regimen of medication to manage behavioral issues and is otherwise an incredibly sweet, loving companion who still loves walks and hikes and camping and fetching tennis balls and all sorts of other dogly endeavors, hit me up in the messages. Again, I'll travel anywhere in the continental U.S. to make sure she has a good home. Longshot, but gotta make the pitch one more time.

ETA: photo of Lilly
Attachments
PXL_20210715_151152438.jpg

Pex Lives!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Honestly, Flex, if I didn't have two senior cats with health issues, I'd drive halfway across the states to pick her up. I pray you find someone to take her because she looks adorable.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This is utterly heartbreaking. Are there, I dunno, Facebook groups for dog lovers in your area that you reach out to? Tap into a network of people who might be a match for an older dog. There has to be someone out there who would welcome and treasure her.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 1:36pm
This is utterly heartbreaking. Are there, I dunno, Facebook groups for dog lovers in your area that you reach out to? Tap into a network of people who might be a match for an older dog. There has to be someone out there who would welcome and treasure her.
Yeah, I think after the meds kick in and we can (hopefully) report good results we'll reach out on some FB groups as well. They're least-ideal just because I think it's kind of the wild west on social media in terms of vetting and so forth, but I also thinka more personal plea and ability to directly talk to someone may be effective. So, we'll see. If we could find someone close to home we may be able to remain in Lilly's life somewhat too, which is obviously appealing.

Addendum: and thanks Mimi, appreciate the kind words.

Pex Lives!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

What a beautiful dog you have there Flex, my heart goes out to you and your family. Please don't beat yourself up for not getting her to the vet to reevaluate her meds sooner, you're already the best you can for both your son and your dog, so try to remember the good and block out the bad.
Keeping my fingers crossed everything works out for the best for everybody.

ArmagideonTim
Dirty Punk

Post by ArmagideonTim »

Flex wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 2:04pm
Yeah, I think after the meds kick in and we can (hopefully) report good results we'll reach out on some FB groups as well. They're least-ideal just because I think it's kind of the wild west on social media in terms of vetting and so forth, but I also thinka more personal plea and ability to directly talk to someone may be effective. So, we'll see. If we could find someone close to home we may be able to remain in Lilly's life somewhat too, which is obviously appealing.

Addendum: and thanks Mimi, appreciate the kind words.
This is so sad, I hope it works out well for you and Lilly. Be kind to yourself, hopefully the meds will be effective and you never know what is round the corner. I don't really post here much but my dogs mean so much to me and I hate to think of the pain and stress this is causing. You're in my thoughts. Fingers crossed.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

She's so beautiful, Flex. You are, and have done, all you can. Please don't be too hard on yourself. It's a heartbreaking situation and I so wish we could take her in.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex

Post by Flex »

Time ran out unfortunately. We put Lilly to sleep this afternoon. We had a very nice day at a nearby lake going on a very long walk and feeding her a container of chicken (she was always a fiend for the winged meats) and then had a very peaceful procedure with our vet.
Attachments
PXL_20221105_210611929.jpg

Pex Lives!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 6:29pm
Time ran out unfortunately. We put Lilly to sleep this afternoon. We had a very nice day at a nearby lake going on a very long walk and feeding her a container of chicken (she was always a fiend for the winged meats) and then had a very peaceful procedure with our vet.
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear it had to come to that Flex, please accept my condolences.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm so sorry to read this, Kevin. It's always a horrible decision to make, regardless of circumstances, as it never seems fair because the desire for more time isn't granted. But you were both extremely fortunate to share each other's lives, proof that sometimes the machinery of the universe does produce good results. And in time the wonderful memories will exclude all others. A big ol' virtual hug goes out to you.