Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Pets.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Pagan, the cranky grand dame of the manor.
(A voice that sounds like Lucille Ball in the 70s, but a purring machine, and a still youthful 16+ years.)

And Dickens, who's gone from our home but not our hearts or memories.
(I've learned that consuming any amount of wine and looking at a picture of the old guy is a free trip to Melancholyville.)

Depending on our residence in the next few months, we might be getting a dog. Plenty of photos to follow if it happens.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Inherited from her previous owner, an ex-roommate who unexpectedly moved out on zero notice to check himself into a mental institution. Very, very, very well-deservedly I might add. :shifty:

That was 8 years ago. Per her vet records she turns 11 this month. I wouldn't ever have considered myself a cat person, and still don't. But she's just sorta always there. And it wouldn't feel right if she weren't.
Picture 027.jpg

Oh, yes. Like most of my IMCT'ing from home I'm typing this with one hand while being stepped on, crawled all over, view of screen blocked, nudged, head-butted, and incessantly chirped at. Switch to CNN.com and the little pissant will be asleep in the next room dead to the world in 30 seconds flat. :mad:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Rat Patrol wrote:Inherited from her previous owner, an ex-roommate who unexpectedly moved out on zero notice to check himself into a mental institution. Very, very, very well-deservedly I might add. :shifty:

That was 8 years ago. Per her vet records she turns 11 this month. I wouldn't ever have considered myself a cat person, and still don't. But she's just sorta always there. And it wouldn't feel right if she weren't.
Picture 027.jpg

Oh, yes. Like most of my IMCT'ing from home I'm typing this with one hand while being stepped on, crawled all over, view of screen blocked, nudged, head-butted, and incessantly chirped at. Switch to CNN.com and the little pissant will be asleep in the next room dead to the world in 30 seconds flat. :mad:
She would probably get along FAMOUSLY with that little turd of a dog that's sleeping in my bed.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:Inherited from her previous owner, an ex-roommate who unexpectedly moved out on zero notice to check himself into a mental institution. Very, very, very well-deservedly I might add. :shifty:

Picture 027.jpg

Tiny little ball of fur. What's her name?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Picture 027.jpg

Kant.

I didn't pick the name. Captain Insane-O was a bona fide male cat lady. His other cats we shared that claustrophobic apartment with--and who were all he was able to take with him on the plane when he went...away--were named Nietzsche and Hegel (the runt from the same litter). The ones his parents had back home were Socrates and Descartes.

As you may be able to tell, he went to Harvard. :shifty:

Or, well, did until abruptly dropping out shortly before his fan belt snapped.

The other two cats liked him but wouldn't go near me. She always bonded with (and plastered herself onto like a hairy tumor) whomever his roommate of the moment was, but couldn't stand to be in the same room as him without hissing or flashing the "Fuck You Face". Hence, the natural decision for which 2 out of 3 could fit on the plane.

She also chooses not to respond to the names "Cat" and "Cunt", which my last roommate lovingly referred to her after 4 years of being daily recipient of the "Fuck You Face."

Only 8 lbs., so she's always been a petite one.

We're about 4 hours away from time of night and my trying to get some goddamn sleep when it's time to do windsprints back and forth across the apartment, take flying leaps from the tops of furniture, and have involved conversations with no being in particular.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:

Picture 027.jpg

She would probably get along FAMOUSLY with that little turd of a dog that's sleeping in my bed.
That's mean to say of Ali.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Picture 027.jpg

That's mean to say of Ali.
Why I oughtta!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Picture 027.jpg

Kant.

I didn't pick the name. Captain Insane-O was a bona fide male cat lady. His other cats we shared that claustrophobic apartment with--and who were all he was able to take with him on the plane when he went...away--were named Nietzsche and Hegel (the runt from the same litter). The ones his parents had back home were Socrates and Descartes.
Theme names. :rolleyes: Did he attribute the particular philosophical bent to each cat's personality, too?
We're about 4 hours away from time of night and my trying to get some goddamn sleep when it's time to do windsprints back and forth across the apartment, take flying leaps from the tops of furniture, and have involved conversations with no being in particular.
For eleven, that's pretty active. That kind of activity can't last much longer—she'll be a lazy lap cat before you know it.

Alyssa
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Alyssa »

I love my pets :approve:

Sheba, my 12 year old baby lives with me--nay, I live with her:

And my two Jack Russells, both rescued by us from fields/roads from certain death:

Abby, supreme cat/bird/rabbit destroyer (in her mind), and producer of the shrillest bark I have ever had the displeasure of hearing:

And finally, Casey, the biggest baby you will ever meet. Really. We just got him over his fear of the vacuum cleaner:

(Apologies for the massive pictures! I do not know how to resize them...)

So, yeah...that's the zoo.

Alyssa
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Alyssa »

Also, everyone has really great pets here...They all look like they have such distinct personalities :)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Beautiful little monsters, Alyssa. They make the world better.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Here's Kitty:
kittystalking.jpg
kittystalking.jpg (37.19 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
You never met a more grateful cat. Whether it's food, water, or a pet...she loves it. Her purr is so loud and squeaky she sounds like a loose fan belt.

Colin
Junco Partner

Post by Colin »

Seeing all of the cats here makes me sad. My family had a cat for my entire childhood but he got very sick one summer and had to be put down. Having another cat would probably be very therapeutic for me.
Everyone and everything that wasn't a stupendous badass was dead.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:Here's Kitty:
kittystalking.jpg
You never met a more grateful cat. Whether it's food, water, or a pet...she loves it. Her purr is so loud and squeaky she sounds like a loose fan belt.
Mama! Her fur is in great shape for a mostly feral cat.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:Here's Kitty:
kittystalking.jpg
Mama! Her fur is in great shape for a mostly feral cat.
It's so strange but her fur used to be dull and dry looking but now has a little bit of a sheen. It seems like ever since I started petting her, everything changed. She looks and acts healthier -- still distrustful of strangers -- but she seems so happy.