Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Mimi »

So I might have done a reading of Poe's The Raven somewhere and immediately got a comment from someone who is claiming that Poe stole the poem from someone named Whittier. At this point in history, I don't care, but what is interesting in a hahahaha way is the guy who made the comment is pushing this idea because he's Whittier from a past life. The evidence is based upon his own reincarnation. He's pushing this idea to scholarly journals. :rolleyes:

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 9:28am
Mimi wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 9:19am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 6:44am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 11:40pm
God bless the manual transmission.
That was the thing for her. She missed being in control of the car, even if the new car will be smaller and have fewer luxuries. I like something that won't use as much gas and will be easier to shovel around come winter (the current car is a tight fit in our small driveway). And a manual transmission is a low-level bit of theft-proofing in North America given that so many people flat-out can't drive a stick.
I drive a stick and wouldn't want anything else, although as I get older, an automatic is becoming more appealing. :meh:
What's funny is that she didn't know how to drive a standard until out next to last car. So at age 30-ish, I had to teach her how. No surprise she was apprehensive and all. I remember her asking me how she knows when to shift, and I more or less fell back on, "You just know." Which sucks as an answer when trying to teach someone who hasn't done it before, but once she got the hang of it she acknowledged that I was right. But I was nevertheless surprised by how much she came to love driving a stick, so much so that when we got the Crosstrek a few years ago, accepting an automatic was a big concession on her part (getting something bigger than what we needed, imo, was my concession). So, after a three years or so, we've both gotten our way. The Fiat is a turbo, too, so that satisfies her obsession with acceleration (she's always wanted a 70s muscle car, which I've just rolled my eyes at).
It's true though. You just know when to shift.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
So I might have done a reading of Poe's The Raven somewhere and immediately got a comment from someone who is claiming that Poe stole the poem from someone named Whittier. At this point in history, I don't care, but what is interesting in a hahahaha way is the guy who made the comment is pushing this idea because he's Whittier from a past life. The evidence is based upon his own reincarnation. He's pushing this idea to scholarly journals. :rolleyes:
:lol: You need a journal editor deep-sixing him by saying they're the reincarnation of Poe and the claim is bullshit.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 9:38am
Mimi wrote:
:lol: You need a journal editor deep-sixing him by saying they're the reincarnation of Poe and the claim is bullshit.
We all need sockpuppet accounts for every occasion.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
This is hilarious.

Also, I would have loved to see that reading!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 4:41pm
The Boss and I replaced our car today. There were a number of reasons, but we decided to downsize to a Fiat 500. There were two available in the city that met our criteria. We did the test drive for the first yesterday and the Boss was keen on it (I don't drive because The Man says I might kill someone if I have a seizure behind the wheel). The second one was a hilarious non-starter. First, despite being on the lot for three weeks, they claimed they hadn't done a safety check, so we couldn't do a test drive (but we could sit in it!). The salesguy also claimed that this car was really hot—he'd had eight (8!) inquiries about it that morning. Wow! And then, despite being advertised as a manual transmission, it was an automatic (the Boss wanted a standard again, one of the reasons we were changing cars). So, yeah, we went back to the first place and went with that. But, c'mon, if you can't offer a test drive, you're limiting your clientele to the desperate and dumb.
Aren't you really tall? For some reason, this is how I am picturing you in a Fiat.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 11:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Boss and I replaced our car today. There were a number of reasons, but we decided to downsize to a Fiat 500. There were two available in the city that met our criteria. We did the test drive for the first yesterday and the Boss was keen on it (I don't drive because The Man says I might kill someone if I have a seizure behind the wheel). The second one was a hilarious non-starter. First, despite being on the lot for three weeks, they claimed they hadn't done a safety check, so we couldn't do a test drive (but we could sit in it!). The salesguy also claimed that this car was really hot—he'd had eight (8!) inquiries about it that morning. Wow! And then, despite being advertised as a manual transmission, it was an automatic (the Boss wanted a standard again, one of the reasons we were changing cars). So, yeah, we went back to the first place and went with that. But, c'mon, if you can't offer a test drive, you're limiting your clientele to the desperate and dumb.
Aren't you really tall? For some reason, this is how I am picturing you in a Fiat.
I'm only 6 feet. My head was closer to the roof than before, but it's not scraping either. Plus, as permanent passenger, I can recline the seat back.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 12:05pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm only 6 feet. My head was closer to the roof than before, but it's not scraping either. Plus, as permanent passenger, I can recline the seat back.
But I liked picturing you scrunched up like that. Thanks, Obama.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 12:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
But I liked picturing you scrunched up like that. Thanks, Obama.
Up here it's thanks, Justin. :cool:

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm only 6 feet.
I thought you were short. I don't know why.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 11:05am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm only 6 feet.
Just in terms of confidence and income.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm only 6 feet.
He looks short over the internet.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Doc has a short man's head and scowl. Everyone's thinking it, I'm saying it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm only 6 feet.
That's short by IMCT standards. I think 6'3" is about average height of the dudes here.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm only 6 feet.
Because he is.