Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by BitterTom »

Echo what WWK said, though we may not understand all the in jokes, it's a good place to be. I feel like the new kid that has mingled himself in to a decent bunch. In the words of Will from The Inbetweeners, "Anyone can be your friend. All you have to do is hang round them long enough."

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 3:33pm
Kory wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 3:11pm
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 2:43pm
Kory wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 2:37pm
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 2:32pm

https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... fire+skill

Looks like I made my first post the same day I joined.
Yup, I remember that. Jesus, time flies. Feels like just yesterday you and Tom were the new guys.
I think we still are the new guys. I see a lot of people sign up - but they don't appear to stick around. Guess they must get scared off by all of the insanity that goes on within!!
We've had this conversation before—one of the drawbacks of having a tight-knit community like this is all the in-jokes and manners of speech that make it intimidating for new people to jump in. So kudos to you and Tom, it's very infrequent (as you allude to) that we get new members who stick around. We DO get a lot of people that leave, even after being regulars.
It's a very welcoming and friendly group once you get past feeling a little intimidated by the in-jokes and so on. I've registered for quite a few music forums over the years and I generally have not stuck around all that long. I think the difference with IMCT has been that as I mentioned - it really is a friendly group - and an interesting group. We might share an interest in the Clash - but we spend more time discussing everything else. That keeps it engaging.
I remember you joining as Id just been in Milwaukee just a few months before (or so I recall).

Ive tried other music forums and most didn't work for me. I think there was a Pogues or Shane MacGowan forum (wow Waxies Dargle just came on coincidentally) that I used to be on that was pretty good, close knit with a handful of regular characters as I recall. Don't know why Im not still on it.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 5:34pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yup, I remember that. Jesus, time flies. Feels like just yesterday you and Tom were the new guys.
I think we still are the new guys. I see a lot of people sign up - but they don't appear to stick around. Guess they must get scared off by all of the insanity that goes on within!!
We've had this conversation before—one of the drawbacks of having a tight-knit community like this is all the in-jokes and manners of speech that make it intimidating for new people to jump in. So kudos to you and Tom, it's very infrequent (as you allude to) that we get new members who stick around. We DO get a lot of people that leave, even after being regulars.
It's a very welcoming and friendly group once you get past feeling a little intimidated by the in-jokes and so on. I've registered for quite a few music forums over the years and I generally have not stuck around all that long. I think the difference with IMCT has been that as I mentioned - it really is a friendly group - and an interesting group. We might share an interest in the Clash - but we spend more time discussing everything else. That keeps it engaging.
I remember you joining as Id just been in Milwaukee just a few months before (or so I recall).

Ive tried other music forums and most didn't work for me. I think there was a Pogues or Shane MacGowan forum (wow Waxies Dargle just came on coincidentally) that I used to be on that was pretty good, close knit with a handful of regular characters as I recall. Don't know why Im not still on it.
There are some forums where it is all about the music and nothing else. That can get boring - no matter how much you might love a particular band. The Smiley Smile board is a good example. It's where all the diehard Beach Boys fans hang out and there are some great discussions, but I can't imagine ever discussing a fraction of the nonsense we discuss.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JoseUnidos wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 12:49pm
revbob wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 10:52am
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 10:50am
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/20/europe/e ... index.html

I wasn't sure what thread I should put this in - but felt it was worthy of a mention. This is weird/troubling on several levels.
Applying Doc's plurality preference, a drawerfull of Evan Braun's knickers would be a murder of Eva Braun's knickers. Sounds about right.
No it is a hand in Eva Braun’s knickers :shifty:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 2:32pm

https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... fire+skill

Looks like I made my first post the same day I joined.
The in- jokes are not intended to be exclusive, most of the in- jokes come from the history of this place as several of the members have been here nearly 20 years!!!!!! As you can imagine there has been some memorable moments / characters over the years.
Stick around long enough and you soon get your own in-jokes :mrgreen:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JoseUnidos wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 12:49pm
revbob wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 10:52am
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 10:50am
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/20/europe/e ... index.html

I wasn't sure what thread I should put this in - but felt it was worthy of a mention. This is weird/troubling on several levels.
Applying Doc's plurality preference, a drawerfull of Evan Braun's knickers would be a murder of Eva Braun's knickers. Sounds about right.
Horribly, horribly so.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

The Chicago Suburbs Are a Place Of Whimsy.

Accuracy disclaimer: the guy didn’t actually steal a display car. He drove his own car in through a Sears.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BitterTom wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 5:32pm
Echo what WWK said, though we may not understand all the in jokes, it's a good place to be. I feel like the new kid that has mingled himself in to a decent bunch. In the words of Will from The Inbetweeners, "Anyone can be your friend. All you have to do is hang round them long enough."
We are mighty glad you are both here.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

JennyB wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 10:08am
BitterTom wrote:
Attachments
phil-collins-gif.gif
phil-collins-gif.gif (441.55 KiB) Viewed 2099 times

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 3:40pm
JennyB wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
It's good to have someone else standing up for bad music. I'm pretty sure someone thought you were an alternate account I'd made when you first joined.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 5:12pm
BitterTom wrote:
JennyB wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
It's good to have someone else standing up for bad music. I'm pretty sure someone thought you were an alternate account I'd made when you first joined.
For a very short while, I thought that it was Kaleb pranking us.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
JennyB wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5526&hilit=Our+newe ... r&start=45

You thought I was Chuck apparently.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

You said I was a nice bloke though so that's all good ;)

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
JennyB wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
You did have Tom come along to help stand up for bad music...but then I joined and probably cancelled him out! :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BitterTom wrote:
JennyB wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Tom.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy