Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 6:56pm
Kory wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 6:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 5:58pm
Just came back from the grocery store—sudden craving for a baguette—and can report two things:
1) George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" was playing. Even tho he ripped off the Chiffons, dang but that song makes me feel good when I hear it.
2) The guy in line ahead of me was buying 12 cans of Old Milwaukee and 6 of Coors Light. It is seriously beyond my brain to figure out why someone chooses shitty beer. Sometimes that's all there is, but this store has much more to choose from. Why pick crap? I just can't believe anyone prefers that.
I drink Rainier a lot on the weekends. It's fresh and goes down nice with lime without leaving a rock in your stomach. Of course, I drink to get drunk on the weekends, so one or two Rainiers isn't going to do it for me. I suspect that was this guy's strategy too. Long-term drinking, less filling.
I just don't get it. Spend an extra $3 and get something that tastes good.
It's harder to maintain a base level of drunkenness over the course of around 6–10 hours with anything stronger or heavier. The heavy stuff fills you up too early and you wind up with a headache as you come down since you can't drink any more, or you get unpredictable results with stronger stuff that can throw the night off. I just find lagers easier to control, I don't disagree that they aren't the best tasting.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 1:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 6:56pm
Kory wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 6:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Just came back from the grocery store—sudden craving for a baguette—and can report two things:
1) George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" was playing. Even tho he ripped off the Chiffons, dang but that song makes me feel good when I hear it.
2) The guy in line ahead of me was buying 12 cans of Old Milwaukee and 6 of Coors Light. It is seriously beyond my brain to figure out why someone chooses shitty beer. Sometimes that's all there is, but this store has much more to choose from. Why pick crap? I just can't believe anyone prefers that.
I drink Rainier a lot on the weekends. It's fresh and goes down nice with lime without leaving a rock in your stomach. Of course, I drink to get drunk on the weekends, so one or two Rainiers isn't going to do it for me. I suspect that was this guy's strategy too. Long-term drinking, less filling.
I just don't get it. Spend an extra $3 and get something that tastes good.
It's harder to maintain a base level of drunkenness over the course of around 6–10 hours with anything stronger or heavier. The heavy stuff fills you up too early and you wind up with a headache as you come down since you can't drink any more, or you get unpredictable results with stronger stuff that can throw the night off. I just find lagers easier to control, I don't disagree that they aren't the best tasting.
I'll accede to your logic. I don't drink to get drunk anymore, so I can't quite wrap my head around the logic of choices and all. I'm all about the journey.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
1) I've liked the feel of that track since first hearing it in the early 70s. When I hear it I always have a feel good factor. For you I'm guessing this is just the music alone with you being atheist an all.

2) I've never drank a Coors light so don't know what it tastes like but it seems pointless to me. I mean would you drink a Rum or Whiskey etc that was "light".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 1:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
1) I've liked the feel of that track since first hearing it in the early 70s. When I hear it I always have a feel good factor. For you I'm guessing this is just the music alone with you being atheist an all.
Ha! Well, yeah, I don't feel any closer to the supernatural, but it does evoke that good-time gospel feel.
2) I've never drank a Coors light so don't know what it tastes like but it seems pointless to me. I mean would you drink a Rum or Whiskey etc that was "light".
Not on purpose, anyway. Six years ago, I was on a research trip to Kentucky, and bought a bottle of rye at a grocery store. Go back to my room to read, watch baseball, and drink, and, fucking hell, this rye is absolute shot. I look on the bottle and it says it's like 40 proof. I've never ever encountered such a low alcohol content in whisky. Dreadful. I still drank it—I paid for it, after all—but it was unpleasant.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 1:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ha! Well, yeah, I don't feel any closer to the supernatural, but it does evoke that good-time gospel feel.
Not on purpose, anyway. Six years ago, I was on a research trip to Kentucky, and bought a bottle of rye at a grocery store. Go back to my room to read, watch baseball, and drink, and, fucking hell, this rye is absolute shot. I look on the bottle and it says it's like 40 proof. I've never ever encountered such a low alcohol content in whisky. Dreadful. I still drank it—I paid for it, after all—but it was unpleasant.
Wow I'm even surprised that exists.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It doesn't taste like anything.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 2:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah I can imagine. Years ago I had a bet with a mate to see who could drink the most larger in an evening at our local. We were both big drinkers and the loser would cough up £100. Each buying the following round I noticed my mate was knocking his beers back faster every time it was his round. So my next visit at the bar I ask the landlord what he had been ordering and it turns out he ordered Fosters for me Calibre low alcohol lager for himself. So with this news every time I went to the bar I got the landlord to drop in a couple of spirits into his pint of piss water. Needless to say I won.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 2:46pm
WestwayKid wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 2:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah I can imagine. Years ago I had a bet with a mate to see who could drink the most larger in an evening at our local. We were both big drinkers and the loser would cough up £100. Each buying the following round I noticed my mate was knocking his beers back faster every time it was his round. So my next visit at the bar I ask the landlord what he had been ordering and it turns out he ordered Fosters for me Calibre low alcohol lager for himself. So with this news every time I went to the bar I got the landlord to drop in a couple of spirits into his pint of piss water. Needless to say I won.
:lol:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
You out-skullduggered the skullduggerer at his own skullduggery!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 3:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Do You Skulldugga?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 3:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Do You Skulldugga?
Marky's friend was milling thru the grinder; Marky was grinding thru the mill.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Ha I like that. I'm definitely using that sometime. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
[/quote]

For many years there was an annual gospel fest in town. There would be one night that closed out the week and it was show mostly with local talent singing and playing music. I went every year and it was some of the best times. I'm not the religious type but oh it was great fun.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 4:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
For many years there was an annual gospel fest in town. There would be one night that closed out the week and it was show mostly with local talent singing and playing music. I went every year and it was some of the best times. I'm not the religious type but oh it was great fun.
[/quote]

Precisely. Gospel is good for the soul … even if you don't believe in having a soul.