Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 3:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 3:06pm
gkbill wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 1:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 1:50pm
gkbill wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 1:18pm

Hello,

I'm waiting for the rumble between the Peleton gang and the Bowflex crew. There's going to be spilt Chai tea all over the place.
I always kinda wanted a Bowflex gym, but neither of our houses have had a deep enough basement. Tho I'm also getting to be too old, I think, for that kinda stuff. :meh:
Hello,

Resistance training is important as we age. We lose muscle mass/lean tissue and this may bring functional as well as health problems. Lean tissue burns calories constantly and helps with a lot of other health concerns such as glucose tolerance and blood pressure. No one is suggesting you enter the Mr. Canada bodybuilding competition but retaining a decent amount of muscle mass would be healthy. Body weight exercises can do so but if a Bowflex would motivate you more, great!
Oh yeah, of course. But I'm still rowing and biking 5/6 days a week, so it's not like I'm wholly ossifying. And I do have a basic bench and dumbbells that I can get back to. I suspect as much as anything I'm attracted to just having a complete package with lots of options. But, as I said, our basement isn't deep enough, so it's a moot point.
Exactly, it's a guy thing, lots of gadgets and gizmos make everything better!
You're saying the quiet part loud! :naughty:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 3:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I always kinda wanted a Bowflex gym, but neither of our houses have had a deep enough basement. Tho I'm also getting to be too old, I think, for that kinda stuff. :meh:
That contraption didn't keep Sonny Bono alive, so I'm skeptical of its appeal.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 3:30pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
When I was a kid my dad got one. And he still died from lung cancer 10years ago

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 3:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 3:30pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
When I was a kid my dad got one. And he still died from lung cancer 10years ago
Your dad was Sonny Bono?!? Intriguing.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I do have a basic bench and dumbbells that I can get back to.
My old cast iron weight set from the 80s had been in my current basement (more of a cellar), untouched, for 20 years. After some minor flooding 15 years ago, they were rusted all to hell. Over the last couple months, I cleaned them up with a wire brush and mineral spirits and then spray painted them black. What a fucking workout that was! :yuck:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 4:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My old cast iron weight set from the 80s had been in my current basement (more of a cellar), untouched, for 20 years. After some minor flooding 15 years ago, they were rusted all to hell. Over the last couple months, I cleaned them up with a wire brush and mineral spirits and then spray painted them black. What a fucking workout that was! :yuck:
And now, to let them collect dust! :shifty:

(How's your biking been?)

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 4:54pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

:mrgreen:

I mostly shifted over to indoor riding once the outdoor temps started dropping, though I'll still get out on the occasional warmish day. Haven’t been keeping records like I did all summer, but I shoot for half hour indoor rides. I’m planning to mix it up by alternating riding days with light weight workout days during the winter.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I mostly shifted over to indoor riding once the outdoor temps started dropping, though I'll still get out on the occasional warmish day. Haven’t been keeping records like I did all summer, but I shoot for half hour indoor rides. I’m planning to mix it up by alternating riding days with light weight workout days during the winter.
It's a real challenge because indoor riding can be boring. I listen to audio books and the Boss watches some kind of streamed broadcast (we have an Apple TV and monitor in the same room as the spin bike). One thing I like about listening to audio books and riding indoors is that you can just close your eyes and semi-zone out.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 6:16pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's a real challenge because indoor riding can be boring. I listen to audio books and the Boss watches some kind of streamed broadcast (we have an Apple TV and monitor in the same room as the spin bike). One thing I like about listening to audio books and riding indoors is that you can just close your eyes and semi-zone out.
Audio books sound like a good idea. I have my Nordictrack parked in front of a TV, so I’ll try to pedal through like a quarter of a football game or fire up a youtube documentary or something. I'm considering shooting videos of some of my outdoor rides with a handlebar-mounted camera and watching those, to fool myself into feeling like I'm on an outdoor ride. Maybe next year.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 6:44pm
I'm considering shooting videos of some of my outdoor rides with a handlebar-mounted camera and watching those, to fool myself into feeling like I'm on an outdoor ride. Maybe next year.
I tried that. That is, I found on YouTube some people who GoPro'd their rides. It was okay in terms of some of the scenery, but I had weird reactions when, say, a car got too close or the cyclist stopped. Nothing major, just jarring. Probably wouldn't bother me as much now that I don't care about my times (just getting in my kilometres and calories).

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 6:48pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 6:44pm
I'm considering shooting videos of some of my outdoor rides with a handlebar-mounted camera and watching those, to fool myself into feeling like I'm on an outdoor ride. Maybe next year.
I tried that. That is, I found on YouTube some people who GoPro'd their rides. It was okay in terms of some of the scenery, but I had weird reactions when, say, a car got too close or the cyclist stopped. Nothing major, just jarring. Probably wouldn't bother me as much now that I don't care about my times (just getting in my kilometres and calories).
Good point. There must be tons of GoPro’d videos on youtube of more exotic locations. I’ll have to check some out.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Because I said fuck the royal family I got this
Screenshot_20211017-204104_Instagram.jpg

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 8:42pm
Because I said fuck the royal family I got this Screenshot_20211017-204104_Instagram.jpg
Fark or fug may get you past the PC police.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 9:16pm
revbob wrote:
Because I said fuck the royal family I got this Screenshot_20211017-204104_Instagram.jpg
Fark or fug may get you past the PC police.
My first warning was for calling Lydon a fat fuck and now this.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
“Tentacled hell-spawn” might slip thru the triggering filter.