Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Sparky »

My observation is more of a vent / rant.

Working on plumbing is always more difficult than you recall from the last time you did the same task.

Shower handle leaking so I had to replace a shower valve cartridge, seat & springs today, took me 5 hours, didn't have a new part, it's on order, so put in an old one that I had laying around that looked fine. We have hard water here, the calcium deposits made the removal of the bonnet nut a nightmare, used vinegar and water to try to dissolve and loosen it, no luck, tried WD-40, no luck, used a hairdryer to heat up the nut and it gradually came loose.

Shower head is dripping now, so apparently the used cartridge / seat & springs isn't as good as I thought, so I'll have to do it again when the new parts arrive.

Picture is of a pair of Craftsman pliers that snapped in 2 places because the nut was so damn tight.

OK, done venting, did I mention how much I hate working on plumbing?
Attachments
Craftsman Pliers.jpg
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 6:00pm

Working on plumbing is always more difficult than you recall from the last time you did the same task.

Shower handle leaking so I had to replace a shower valve cartridge, seat & springs today, took me 5 hours, didn't have a new part, it's on order, so put in an old one that I had laying around that looked fine. We have hard water here, the calcium deposits made the removal of the bonnet nut a nightmare, used vinegar and water to try to dissolve and loosen it, no luck, tried WD-40, no luck, used a hairdryer to heat up the nut and it gradually came loose.

Shower head is dripping now, so apparently the used cartridge / seat & springs isn't as good as I thought, so I'll have to do it again when the new parts arrive.

Picture is of a pair of Craftsman pliers that snapped in 2 places because the nut was so damn tight.

You're invoking my PTSD from, like, every "easy" home repair task. :twitch:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:

Maybe buy 2 of those cartridges

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 5:41pm
JennyB wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 11:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 11:50am
JennyB wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 11:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 11:36am

Dr. Jennifer House. :shifty:
I actually haven't taken a Vicodin in a very long time. I just remember that after VH, Jr. was born, I had a ton left over from my C-section. I believe I even posted here something like "Would it be excessive for me to take a Vicodin for a sore throat?" I did take it, but after that I was like "nahhh, this isn't a good idea." So I got rid of them.
I’ve never had one of those heavy-duty painkillers (never had surgery, for one thing). Tylenol with codeine is the biggest thing, I’d say.
They're good. Too good.
I prefer percocet to vicodin, but they're both pretty much impossible to get even on the black market anymore. I miss them.
Perocet only ever put me to sleep.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

JennyB wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 11:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 11:50am
JennyB wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 11:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 11:36am
JennyB wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 11:31am

I wonder if it's as helpful for sore throats as honey in tea? Probably not as good as Vicodin for a sore throat, but soothing nonetheless.
Dr. Jennifer House. :shifty:
I actually haven't taken a Vicodin in a very long time. I just remember that after VH, Jr. was born, I had a ton left over from my C-section. I believe I even posted here something like "Would it be excessive for me to take a Vicodin for a sore throat?" I did take it, but after that I was like "nahhh, this isn't a good idea." So I got rid of them.
I’ve never had one of those heavy-duty painkillers (never had surgery, for one thing). Tylenol with codeine is the biggest thing, I’d say.
They're good. Too good.
Only time I ever had “heavy-duty” painkillers was when I had my wisdom teeth removed about 20 years ago. The surgeon prescribed a small quantity of like 4 pills. I don’t even remember what they were, but maybe hydrocodone, which is the same as Vicodin I think. I was in quite a bit of pain, so I went through all of them. Dang, those things were relaxing, and very effective at taking the pain away. After a few days, I had an appointment to see the dental surgeon again. I was still in a bit of pain, so I asked if I could get another small prescription. He tilted his head, cocked an eyebrow at me doubtfully, and said, yeah, no, try extra-strength Tylenol buddy. He basically made me feel like a total junkie just for asking, lol. I went with extra-strength Tylenol for a few days and never had opiates again. In hindsight, probably a good call on his part. I’ve seen some friends ruin their lives on opiates.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 6:09pm
Sparky wrote:

Maybe buy 2 of those cartridges
Good idea, but damn, they're pricy. The last time I replaced them, they were just under $60 directly from the manufacturer (Delta), today Delta wants $135, so I bought one on Amazon for a bit less, but still a lot more then I paid the last time.

I saved one of the old ones that looked good, it was replaced prematurely when we were doing some other shower work, I just assumed it was still good, so that's why I saved it. The handle isn't dripping now, instead the shower head is. YouTube University tells me that's indicative of the cartridge its self being bad, handle leaking was likely the seats & springs.

Solved one problem, created another. :disshame:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Did you know that nearly 70m people in the US are trans? Well, that's what some people believe anyway, according to this poll. Something is clearly bonkers here, not exactly sure what.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 5:23am
Did you know that nearly 70m people in the US are trans? Well, that's what some people believe anyway, according to this poll. Something is clearly bonkers here, not exactly sure what.

I think that's a clerical error.

It should read "nearly 70m people in the US have taken the train". :shifty:

I'm left handed and this poll makes me feel bad.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 6:23am
Low Down Low wrote:

Clearly, all those respondents naturally assume that all Native Americans are both muslim and trans!

I can kind of see why there might be some difference regarding the prevalence of lefties. Like, if you follow football of the limey persuasion closely, for example, I'm pretty sure a fairly high percentage of top players are predominantly left footed, including arguably the two greatest of all time, Messi and Maradona. So it's easy to extrapolate that into the general population as a whole. If only all the assumptions contained in that poll were so wholly innocent!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:

The enemy is always out there in massive numbers, ready to swamp the good people. I mean, if, say, trans people were a tiny, tiny minority, it'd hardly be worth losing your reason-immune head over, no?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Low Down Low wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 6:51am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Clearly, all those respondents naturally assume that all Native Americans are both muslim and trans!

I can kind of see why there might be some difference regarding the prevalence of lefties. Like, if you follow football of the limey persuasion closely, for example, I'm pretty sure a fairly high percentage of top players are predominantly left footed, including arguably the two greatest of all time, Messi and Maradona. So it's easy to extrapolate that into the general population as a whole. If only all the assumptions contained in that poll were so wholly innocent!
Does left handed translate to left footed? I know it doesn't for me. Baseball has a higher percentage of lefties than the general population more than double and pitchers slightly higher. But as a lefty you're limited to just 5 of the 9 positions available the other 4 are exclusively played by right handers and righties can play all 9 positions. The majority of hockey players shoot left handed. Basketball seems to reflect the regular population. In American football very few QBs are lefty also well below the average.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 9:23am
Low Down Low wrote:

The enemy is always out there in massive numbers, ready to swamp the good people. I mean, if, say, trans people were a tiny, tiny minority, it'd hardly be worth losing your reason-immune head over, no?
Ok, I'll give you trans, but what about them muslims, hey?#GRT

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

revbob wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 9:36am
Low Down Low wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 6:51am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Does left handed translate to left footed? I know it doesn't for me. Baseball has a higher percentage of lefties than the general population more than double and pitchers slightly higher. But as a lefty you're limited to just 5 of the 9 positions available the other 4 are exclusively played by right handers and righties can play all 9 positions. The majority of hockey players shoot left handed. Basketball seems to reflect the regular population. In American football very few QBs are lefty also well below the average.
My expertise on this is very limited so I wouldn't dispute that at all. Not mainstream but I did see a stat about the sport of snooker a while back whereby something particularly anomalous, like well in excess of 25%, of the top professional players were left handed and there didn't seem to be any rational explanation for it. Just seems a total statistical quirk albeit a very interesting one.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 9:39am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

What's funny is that, apart from trans people, of all the groups that have real 'Muricans rushing out to buy guns and doughnuts, Muslims have lowest overestimation. Congrats, children of Allah, you're not scarier than Jews, atheists, or black people!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 9:52am
Low Down Low wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 9:39am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

What's funny is that, apart from trans people, of all the groups that have real 'Muricans rushing out to buy guns and doughnuts, Muslims have lowest overestimation. Congrats, children of Allah, you're not scarier than Jews, atheists, or black people!
Anyone who has bought a semi automatic and practised on targets in their back garden is classed as a military veteran.