Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 5:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 4:46pm
Kory wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 4:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 2:18pm
WestwayKid wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 2:10pm
I work in the food industry and cross paths with chefs on a regular basis. I think it's annoying that most want to be called Chef Richard or Chef Jill or Chef Whatever. I get it. You went to culinary school. Yay for you. Can I start calling myself Graphic Designer Chris? Or what about Artist Chris? I think in general that entire profession seems pretentious and maybe it's because I deal with them so often. Rant over.
What's funny, tho, is that insisting the first name being used, it's indicating something homey and populist. So you get the elitism of the title with the populism of the first name. One or the other, but we all know they want the elite part more.
It's like being knighted.
I've noticed that talking heads always call McCartney "Sir Paul," but Ringo is still Ringo. Demonstrating that it's an idiotic affectation.
If I had to guess its probably because McCartney embraces that shit.
Oh, without a doubt. George and John would have rejected knighting (I think) and Ringo seems too laid back to take that overly serious, but Paul's always been the conventional pomp and shit.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I work in the food industry and cross paths with chefs on a regular basis. I think it's annoying that most want to be called Chef Richard or Chef Jill or Chef Whatever. I get it. You went to culinary school. Yay for you. Can I start calling myself Graphic Designer Chris? Or what about Artist Chris? I think in general that entire profession seems pretentious and maybe it's because I deal with them so often. Rant over.
What's funny, tho, is that insisting the first name being used, it's indicating something homey and populist. So you get the elitism of the title with the populism of the first name. One or the other, but we all know they want the elite part more.
I've noticed that talking heads always call McCartney "Sir Paul," but Ringo is still Ringo. Demonstrating that it's an idiotic affectation.
Same with Sir Elton. I rarely hear Jagger referred to as Sir Mick, however. Same with Ray Davies.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 5:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Same with Sir Elton. I rarely hear Jagger referred to as Sir Mick, however. Same with Ray Davies.
He no doubt revels in it too. Do any of these people ever tell the queen or whoever to just fuck off?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 5:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Sir Shakin'?
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 4:55pm
Kory wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 4:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 4:50pm
Kory wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 4:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Sirringo has a nice sound to it though.
Gear!
I very rarely watch anything earlier than season 3, but that one is quite a banger.
No coincidence that all three episodes with Beatles in them are excellent.
I wonder if John would have done one.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 6:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 4:55pm
Kory wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 4:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 4:50pm
Kory wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 4:49pm

Sirringo has a nice sound to it though.
Gear!
I very rarely watch anything earlier than season 3, but that one is quite a banger.
No coincidence that all three episodes with Beatles in them are excellent.
I wonder if John would have done one.
My gut says no. He was a man driven by self-loathing and social resentment, so that level of acceptance would seem unlikely. But who knows what might happen in the 80s and 90s. Maybe he starts dressing all Miami Vice and pals around with the Clintons.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Did anyone watch Dark Winds on AMC? There were only 6 eps but when we finally gave it shot, we zipped thru it like a tornado. Maybe a bit frontloaded, but it was very short anyway.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 6:10pm
Did anyone watch Dark Winds on AMC? There were only 6 eps but when we finally gave it shot, we zipped thru it like a tornado. Maybe a bit frontloaded, but it was very short anyway.
Is that the AMC you pay for?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
Coinkydink—the Boss is literally watching the first episode at this very moment.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 7:54pm
tepista wrote:
Is that the AMC you pay for?
I have DirectTV, it's in the package. Same channel that has Walking Dead and Better Call Saul.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 8:04pm
tepista wrote:
Coinkydink—the Boss is literally watching the first episode at this very moment.
We flipped over the 1st 2 eps, it came back down to earth a little, but overall a big thumbs up

P.S. I swear to fuck I though this was the TV show thread.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Robert Crumb is still alive? I swore he died in the 90s.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 12:11am
Once you start truckin', you keep on truckin'.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 6:30am
matedog wrote:
Here’s what I know about Crumb: he did a comic called Felix or fitz the cat and it was provocative because it had sex or something, he’s got a lot of sex stuff going on, and they made a movie about him in the mid 90s. Oh and that late night Itchy and Scratchy that Bart sees in the comic store is maybe a reference to his work.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 8:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 6:30am
matedog wrote:
Here’s what I know about Crumb: he did a comic called Felix or fitz the cat and it was provocative because it had sex or something, he’s got a lot of sex stuff going on, and they made a movie about him in the mid 90s. Oh and that late night Itchy and Scratchy that Bart sees in the comic store is maybe a reference to his work.
Fritz the Cat, and, yes, the softcore I & S cartoon is Crumb-inspired.