Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 7:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 7:11pm
revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 6:38pm
The missus convinced me to go to the Renaissance fair today. When we walked in there was a minstrel playing Come out Ye Black and Tans. It was downhill from there. There was a woman dressed as QE1, the person not the ship. I told her I preferred the French method for royalty.
Way back in undergrad days, a friend wanted to participate in a renaissance fair. They told her she'd have to be a serving wench. She said fuck no, she wanted to do combat. She walked away.
I will say I was surprised by the number of African Americans there participating as cos players.

And apparently wearing elf ears is a thing too.
I neither judge nor understand one iota cosplayers. The appeal is wholly foreign to me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 7:36pm
revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 7:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 7:11pm
revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 6:38pm
The missus convinced me to go to the Renaissance fair today. When we walked in there was a minstrel playing Come out Ye Black and Tans. It was downhill from there. There was a woman dressed as QE1, the person not the ship. I told her I preferred the French method for royalty.
Way back in undergrad days, a friend wanted to participate in a renaissance fair. They told her she'd have to be a serving wench. She said fuck no, she wanted to do combat. She walked away.
I will say I was surprised by the number of African Americans there participating as cos players.

And apparently wearing elf ears is a thing too.
I neither judge nor understand one iota cosplayers. The appeal is wholly foreign to me.
There were furries at Pridefest today!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I understand that renaissance fairs are filled with barrels of drunken sex.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I went to a Ren Fair once with very high expectations. It was such a letdown. Like, you really expect me to believe this jousting tournament is real. :rolleyes:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 1:15pm
I went to a Ren Fair once with very high expectations. It was such a letdown. Like, you really expect me to believe this jousting tournament is real. :rolleyes:
They have a big one near me, even maintaining a "fair grounds" of sorts with old looking buildings. It's incredibly overpriced and kind of obnoxious.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 1:27pm
Mimi wrote:
They have a big one near me, even maintaining a "fair grounds" of sorts with old looking buildings. It's incredibly overpriced and kind of obnoxious.
There was one near me growing up. I never went. Ha, it still is operating.

https://renfair.com/ny/

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
Went once years ago, 1 day of my life I'll never get back. :disshame:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 2:43pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Mimi wrote:

They have the same website as the one by my house:

https://renfair.com/bristol/
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 3:14pm
revbob wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 2:43pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Mimi wrote:

They have the same website as the one by my house:

https://renfair.com/bristol/
Hmm perhaps this belongs in the conspiracy thread. Clearly Ren fairs are used to traffic puppies for Adele and the like to feast upon.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm holding on to my dream that there was bacchanalistic fucking just out of view of all these very boring experiences.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 3:03am
I'm holding on to my dream that there was bacchanalistic fucking just out of view of all these very boring experiences.
Remember, Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
I fucking hope so too.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Silent Majority wrote:
That might be why they always shout, Huzzah! at these fairs.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

A few weeks after VH, Jr. was born, the then wife of one of VH's coworkers just dropped by unannounced. My mom was there with me. Since you all don't know my mom, she is very thin and very judgmental. This woman immediately starts talking about ren fairs and all of the intricacies involved, such as costume design, etc. Then she starts talking about the hierarchies and shit like that and the look on my mom's face was something I will never forget.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 2:32pm
A few weeks after VH, Jr. was born, the then wife of one of VH's coworkers just dropped by unannounced. My mom was there with me. Since you all don't know my mom, she is very thin and very judgmental. This woman immediately starts talking about ren fairs and all of the intricacies involved, such as costume design, etc. Then she starts talking about the hierarchies and shit like that and the look on my mom's face was something I will never forget.
Everyone has weird interests, and that's fine and awesome. Knowing that your interest is weird and therefore not for everybody is what separates the socialized and the scary freaks.

edit: I remember at my (future ex-)friend's wedding, his bride's younger brother, who had the biggest head I've ever seen relative to body, very earnestly went up to one of the groomsmen and said, "Youlikemuppets?" That became our buzzword for weirdo behaviour.