Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 5:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 3:18pm
revbob wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 3:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 2:51pm
revbob wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 2:46pm

I'll have you know I live in a bustling city of over 40,000 people.
It's wild that the shitty, shitty town I grew up in was about half that size.
My hometown is around 15k now.
I figured the last time I'd set foot in the town was for my mother's funeral, but that doesn't seem likely now. She died last February and we decided to hold off a memorial service until the summer so that various grandchildren out of the country could come back to Canada. Then the pandemic squelched that and it doesn't seem likely my brother in Thailand or sister in Australia will be able to leave this summer either, so I imagine it's going to be a Zoom thing, attended in person only by people in Saskatchewan. I'm not keen to get on a plane and it's a four-day drive, so with all kinds of people Zooming it, I think I'll just do that. Which means at worst I won't do more than drive thru that shithole on my way elsewhere.
Well shit I don't recall you mentioning your mom's passing. So sorry to hear that. For me it was something that hit WAY harder than I could have imagined. It took a really long time before I stopped picking up the phone to call her.
No, I don't think I mentioned it here. Her physical health had been going downhill steadily and the previous autumn she had a fall that left her with noticeable dementia (prior to that she was mentally quite sharp). She was in pretty rough shape and confused, but my sister thinks she recognized me (maybe, I dunno). And then she died that night (there was a virus going 'round her care home, so her health was further weakened). My sister, very much the romantic, thinks she was holding on for me, but given how much her mind had gone, I think it's just a desire for a lovely narrative. As much as anything, I'm glad I was there so my sister didn't have to deal with immediate matters by herself. I'd already reconciled myself given that, to me, the mother I knew was gone that fall, so her actual passing wasn't as affecting if it had been sudden. We're all glad she died before COVID hit, so that she wouldn't have lost all contact with people.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 6:11pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I figured the last time I'd set foot in the town was for my mother's funeral, but that doesn't seem likely now. She died last February and we decided to hold off a memorial service until the summer so that various grandchildren out of the country could come back to Canada. Then the pandemic squelched that and it doesn't seem likely my brother in Thailand or sister in Australia will be able to leave this summer either, so I imagine it's going to be a Zoom thing, attended in person only by people in Saskatchewan. I'm not keen to get on a plane and it's a four-day drive, so with all kinds of people Zooming it, I think I'll just do that. Which means at worst I won't do more than drive thru that shithole on my way elsewhere.
Well shit I don't recall you mentioning your mom's passing. So sorry to hear that. For me it was something that hit WAY harder than I could have imagined. It took a really long time before I stopped picking up the phone to call her.
No, I don't think I mentioned it here. Her physical health had been going downhill steadily and the previous autumn she had a fall that left her with noticeable dementia (prior to that she was mentally quite sharp). She was in pretty rough shape and confused, but my sister thinks she recognized me (maybe, I dunno). And then she died that night (there was a virus going 'round her care home, so her health was further weakened). My sister, very much the romantic, thinks she was holding on for me, but given how much her mind had gone, I think it's just a desire for a lovely narrative. As much as anything, I'm glad I was there so my sister didn't have to deal with immediate matters by herself. I'd already reconciled myself given that, to me, the mother I knew was gone that fall, so her actual passing wasn't as affecting if it had been sudden. We're all glad she died before COVID hit, so that she wouldn't have lost all contact with people.
Sorry to hear about this, Doc. My grandma went through a very similar situation—I know it's very far from easy.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yeah, belated condolences Doc. A rough situation,. It glad you made your peace.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Condolences as well. Dementia is just a horrid thing and I guess it's good that it didn't drag on too long.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Thanks, fellas. Everyone in the family was relieved for her. It was especially hard on my sisters who lived near the care home and saw the deterioration over the weeks. For me, my relationship with her over the past fifteen years or so was dominated a phone call every Sunday, mostly getting her to talk about politics, her passion. Once she wasn't able to have those conversations, she was gone for me. It was just a cruel physical existence we all had to endure. It did help me realize that, cynical and glum as I can be, life is in the living.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Sorry for your loss, Doc.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Condolences, my friend.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Thanks, Mimi & WWK. Community here is good people.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 11:35am
Thanks, Mimi & WWK. Community here is good people.
Just caught up with this, really sorry to hear mate.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I'm so sorry, Doc. I had no idea. Dmentia is just awful. I'm so sorry your family had to go through that.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I’m so sorry to hear about that Doc. My condolences.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

My condolences Doc, sad to hear.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Thanks again. It's genuinely appreciated.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello Doc,

I'm sorry for your loss. Cherish the good times.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 6:11pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Just seeing this. I know you're the "sit on your Sadness" type, but I hope you also know your friends are always here for you.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/