Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 3:59pm
An observation: Every once in a while I remember that dinosaurs were really just feathered nerds and I get kinda bummed out.
What's wrong with feathers?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 8:16pm
Flex wrote:
An observation: Every once in a while I remember that dinosaurs were really just feathered nerds and I get kinda bummed out.
Feathers are for nerds, Kory.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 8:36pm
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
Tell that to all the frat guys wearing headdresses.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Kory wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 8:37pm
Flex wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 8:36pm
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
Tell that to all the frat guys wearing headdresses.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So, I'm attempting to repair my Emma Goldman mug, mostly because it's a nice big size. A few years ago, the handle broke in two places, so I glued it together. A few months ago, it broke again, three places. Last night, the Little Asshole (aka new cat) knocked it over, handle is now four pieces. The Boss is rolling her eyes at my efforts, but I told her that I'm an ER doctor yelling, "You're not going to die on my shift!" Basically, I'm a hero.

edit: Frankemug will not die.
Photo on 26-02-19 at 2.21 PM.jpg
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 3:16pm
So, I'm attempting to repair my Emma Goldman mug, mostly because it's a nice big size. A few years ago, the handle broke in two places, so I glued it together. A few months ago, it broke again, three places. Last night, the Little Asshole (aka new cat) knocked it over, handle is now four pieces. The Boss is rolling her eyes at my efforts, but I told her that I'm an ER doctor yelling, "You're not going to die on my shift!" Basically, I'm a hero.

Fine work doc. The next time I'm in a car crash I'm coming to yours for repair.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 3:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Give me enough Gorilla Glue and a customer who doesn't care how it looks, I'll be a zillionaire!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 3:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Give me enough Gorilla Glue and a customer who doesn't care how it looks, I'll be a zillionaire!
I wish you all the very best with your new career move. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Two days later …

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 3:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Two days later …
:lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

An observation - I hate people.

The organization where I work just held its annual trivia night, which I am in charge of. It's a fundraiser. A fundraiser to benefit underserved children in St. Louis. We don't get a lot of people from outside our members and volunteers, but, we of course, allow anyone to come. This random guy called me a couple of days beforehand to ask specifics - what between-round games we were playing (dead or alive and purse scavenger hunt), what the prize money was, etc etc. I explained to him that while we do distribute prize money, since it's our 14th year doing this and it is one of our larger fundraisers, most people give back the prize money. Since, you know, it's going to help needy kids. He was all grumbly about that, but he came anyway. Well, at the event, this woman decides that she doesn't want us to do the Dead or Alive game. Yes, it's crass, but it's funny - to participate, you give a dollar and the emcee reads a name ("Abe Vigoda") and you put your thumb up if he's alive and thumb down if he's dead. Again, due to the fact that it's a fundraiser and 99% of the attendees are members or volunteers, they generally donate the winnings back and get a hearty cheer. And one of the local funeral homes sponsors it. Anyway, for whatever reason, this woman says she will donate $500 if we DON'T do Dead or Alive. We couldn't exactly turn this down - there were 300 people there, so the most we would have received for the game was $300 (and usually, only 2/3 of the crowd participates).

So, today I get an irate phone call from this guy. He says the only reason he even came to our trivia night was because we were doing Dead or Alive, and he had multiple offers from his friends to go to other trivia nights (sure, Jan) and he turned them down. He demanded I refund his $25 entry fee because he can't afford to be throwing $25 away like this. I reminded him that, while I am happy to do so, he is essentially taking away a winter coat or backpack full of school supplies from a needy child (yes, I know, that was a bit much, but this guy was a dick).

My boss is, of course, all pissed at me. Because to her, this is *my* fault. I hate my boss. I hate this guy. I basically hate everyone but Dave Gahan.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 4:55pm

The organization where I work just held its annual trivia night, which I am in charge of. It's a fundraiser. A fundraiser to benefit underserved children in St. Louis. We don't get a lot of people from outside our members and volunteers, but, we of course, allow anyone to come. This random guy called me a couple of days beforehand to ask specifics - what between-round games we were playing (dead or alive and purse scavenger hunt), what the prize money was, etc etc. I explained to him that while we do distribute prize money, since it's our 14th year doing this and it is one of our larger fundraisers, most people give back the prize money. Since, you know, it's going to help needy kids. He was all grumbly about that, but he came anyway. Well, at the event, this woman decides that she doesn't want us to do the Dead or Alive game. Yes, it's crass, but it's funny - to participate, you give a dollar and the emcee reads a name ("Abe Vigoda") and you put your thumb up if he's alive and thumb down if he's dead. Again, due to the fact that it's a fundraiser and 99% of the attendees are members or volunteers, they generally donate the winnings back and get a hearty cheer. And one of the local funeral homes sponsors it. Anyway, for whatever reason, this woman says she will donate $500 if we DON'T do Dead or Alive. We couldn't exactly turn this down - there were 300 people there, so the most we would have received for the game was $300 (and usually, only 2/3 of the crowd participates).

So, today I get an irate phone call from this guy. He says the only reason he even came to our trivia night was because we were doing Dead or Alive, and he had multiple offers from his friends to go to other trivia nights (sure, Jan) and he turned them down. He demanded I refund his $25 entry fee because he can't afford to be throwing $25 away like this. I reminded him that, while I am happy to do so, he is essentially taking away a winter coat or backpack full of school supplies from a needy child (yes, I know, that was a bit much, but this guy was a dick).

My boss is, of course, all pissed at me. Because to her, this is *my* fault. I hate my boss. I hate this guy. I basically hate everyone but Dave Gahan.
Why on Earth is your boss mad about this at all? Sounds like you hosted a successful event (hey, you made at least $200 more dollars than you were planning to out of one portion of the evening) and you have one weirdo who wants a refund. Who cares?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

No good deed goes unpunished is as eternal as death and taxes. So much to dislike about people's behaviour—generally, who gets their gotch in a knot about a fundraiser for needy kids? Roll with shit and be glad you're helping; at the very least, keep your complaints to yourself—but if you're saying you can't afford the $25 to go, don't go. Is that one silly game really worth $25?

(Also, I hope your boss sharts herself in a staff meeting.)

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 4:55pm

I feel ya.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

If you can't afford the $25, stay the fuck at home, no shame in that but dont donate and then say you want it back.