Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 5:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 4:50pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 3:56pm
Honestly Slash N Burn, Motorcycle Emptiness, Sleepflower, and Faster are some of the greatest guitar riffs ever. Motorcycle Emptiness should be a radio staple in the US. Best song slash never wrote.
It did get decent rotation here on release. It a really great track.
It’s also a matter of timing. Released a year after never mind, had they come out in 89....
Yeah against all the grunge hype you are correct.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 5:45pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Honestly Slash N Burn, Motorcycle Emptiness, Sleepflower, and Faster are some of the greatest guitar riffs ever. Motorcycle Emptiness should be a radio staple in the US. Best song slash never wrote.
It’s also a matter of timing. Released a year after never mind, had they come out in 89....
I don't know if conventional wisdom is 100% correct here. Use Your Illusion I & II were HUGE sellers in the US, and they were released literally a week before Nevermind. Big riff metal bands didn't immediately disappear. And Generation Terrorists was only released like 5 months later.

I think it was more the fairly common case of a big UK fish just not catching on in the American pond, though the timing certainly didn't help.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Wolter wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 7:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
I don't know if conventional wisdom is 100% correct here. Use Your Illusion I & II were HUGE sellers in the US, and they were released literally a week before Nevermind. Big riff metal bands didn't immediately disappear. And Generation Terrorists was only released like 5 months later.

I think it was more the fairly common case of a big UK fish just not catching on in the American pond, though the timing certainly didn't help.
Wild hearts are another one of that bag. X Japan tried coming over to the US around the same time. They had even higher obstacles. Japanese, and hair metal. I actually think it’s a shame. I love overblown hard rock. The only issue I ever had with glam metal was how brainded the lyrics were. But bands like the Manics, Wildhearts, X Japan were really making true art with that sound. Now perhaps there would be no THB if grunge hadn’t crashed the party. I just feel like mainstream US rock became way too dour after nirvana got big. To the point where jocks started playing mopey music (Limp Bizkit, Creed, etc...). Britpop for all its faults returned a sense of fun and adventure to rock albeit without the pseudo macho posturing of late 80s cock rock. And some true masterpiece records came out of that movement...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 7:35pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Wild hearts are another one of that bag. X Japan tried coming over to the US around the same time. They had even higher obstacles. Japanese, and hair metal. I actually think it’s a shame. I love overblown hard rock. The only issue I ever had with glam metal was how brainded the lyrics were. But bands like the Manics, Wildhearts, X Japan were really making true art with that sound. Now perhaps there would be no THB if grunge hadn’t crashed the party. I just feel like mainstream US rock became way too dour after nirvana got big. To the point where jocks started playing mopey music (Limp Bizkit, Creed, etc...). Britpop for all its faults returned a sense of fun and adventure to rock albeit without the pseudo macho posturing of late 80s cock rock. And some true masterpiece records came out of that movement...
Nothing much changes down the years. The NME et all would have their weekly darlings they would hype. A couple of years US bands then UK bands.

The Manics original remit of being a mish mash of Guns n Roses and Public Enemy then going out in a blaze of glory after one album made for good copy. But it was short sighted as it didn't take into account that they just might be a great rock n roll band.

Originally they just went against the grain of all those bands that were happy to play their local venue. I remember going to see Mega City Four a lot around this time who I really liked. They would have a blow up sheep on stage with the words 4 REAL written on it. The Manics had sent them begging letters to be their support band very early on. They appeared on the compilation album "Underground Rockers" together. A good way of getting the 'Suicide Alley/Tennessee single. It showed how their mindset changed to going from begging a support slot to playing way bigger venues.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 4:00am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 7:35pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

Nothing much changes down the years. The NME et all would have their weekly darlings they would hype. A couple of years US bands then UK bands.

The Manics original remit of being a mish mash of Guns n Roses and Public Enemy then going out in a blaze of glory after one album made for good copy. But it was short sighted as it didn't take into account that they just might be a great rock n roll band.

Originally they just went against the grain of all those bands that were happy to play their local venue. I remember going to see Mega City Four a lot around this time who I really liked. They would have a blow up sheep on stage with the words 4 REAL written on it. The Manics had sent them begging letters to be their support band very early on. They appeared on the compilation album "Underground Rockers" together. A good way of getting the 'Suicide Alley/Tennessee single. It showed how their mindset changed to going from begging a support slot to playing way bigger venues.
Yeah the mega city four-manics rivalry is pretty infamous. By 1992 I feel like the Manics had managed to shit talk every current rock band imaginable. For fucks sake they even had words about the Clash. But yeah it’s an odd thing you know. Despite obviously being much more hard rock, the Manics feel like true spiritual successors to the clash. For a period in time there they must have truly felt like “the only band that matters”.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:55pm
Sparky wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:23pm
Sparky wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:19pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 1:32pm
I’m never shaving with a standard razor again. Having pale and dry skin makes my skin look like it’s been massacred. Only electric clipper from here on out.
Take it from the voice of experience, don't use Nair hair remover on your face! When I was much younger, GF at time used it, I hated shaving with a passion (still do) do being the deep thinker I am, I applied that stuff to my face. Talk about a painful and red rash, took about a week for my skin to get back to where I could shave again.
My fantasy product would be some kind of stubble eradication cream. Slather that shit on, wipe it off, and it's Hoy's ass for a week.
Um, I'm not familiar with Matedog's backside, so I'll just have to take your word for it. :mrgreen:
It's a subtle (maybe too subtle) reference to Hoy being a twink.
I still have everything I need to be a twink except I've aged out by like 15 years. :cry:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 9:24am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:19pm

Take it from the voice of experience, don't use Nair hair remover on your face! When I was much younger, GF at time used it, I hated shaving with a passion (still do) do being the deep thinker I am, I applied that stuff to my face. Talk about a painful and red rash, took about a week for my skin to get back to where I could shave again.
My fantasy product would be some kind of stubble eradication cream. Slather that shit on, wipe it off, and it's Hoy's ass for a week.
Um, I'm not familiar with Matedog's backside, so I'll just have to take your word for it. :mrgreen:
I still have everything I need to be a twink except I've aged out by like 15 years. :cry:
A true twink stays one in spirit. :ugeek:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 9:43am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm honestly surprised I haven't morphed into a bear yet. Of course in my mind, the only two gay subcultures are twinks and bears.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:

I'm changing eras a bit here, but Matt Patrol and I were just reminiscing about the late 90s brit pop/alternative one hit wonders that flooded modern rock radio stations for a month or two and then disappeared. Some of these bands were in face one hit wonders everywhere - White Town for example, but then you have bands like Placebo that had apparently about 20 songs chart in the UK and only 2 in the US. Not sure why Radiohead stuck.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 9:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

I'm honestly surprised I haven't morphed into a bear yet. Of course in my mind, the only two gay subcultures are twinks and bears.
The Boss and I are more familiar with the academic lesbian stereotype. When younger, short hair and modified man's suit. As they age, the hair stays short but is grown out slightly, and they trade in the suit for khakis, Birks, and an insulated or fleece vest. The clothing is also indicative of how in-your-face they get. Once they hit fleece vest, the fire's gone out.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 9:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Your otter days are on the horizon, I can feel it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

matedog wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 9:52am
Wolter wrote:

I'm changing eras a bit here, but Matt Patrol and I were just reminiscing about the late 90s brit pop/alternative one hit wonders that flooded modern rock radio stations for a month or two and then disappeared. Some of these bands were in face one hit wonders everywhere - White Town for example, but then you have bands like Placebo that had apparently about 20 songs chart in the UK and only 2 in the US. Not sure why Radiohead stuck.
I think it fit in with the angsty direction US rock music was going in at that point. Even listening to the Bends, Just is pretty much a straight up grunge song. Honestly don’t buy the narrative that those bands couldn’t have become big over here. Those British Invasion bands obviously did fantastically well in the US. I think it was more so a case of marketing. Third Eye Blind and Creed were destined to have their day

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 7:58am
matedog wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 9:52am
Wolter wrote:

I think it fit in with the angsty direction US rock music was going in at that point. Even listening to the Bends, Just is pretty much a straight up grunge song. Honestly don’t buy the narrative that those bands couldn’t have become big over here. Those British Invasion bands obviously did fantastically well in the US. I think it was more so a case of marketing. Third Eye Blind and Creed were destined to have their day
Placebo would have been huge if they came out during the Hot Topic Emo era a few years later

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

chop.jpg
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 May 2021, 7:16am
chop.jpg
I usually take a spare rib with me when I play pool. But I would also risk it for some brisket.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia