Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
27 Sep 2021, 9:43am
revbob wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 7:04pm
Out and about tonight and wound up in a place where there was some live music gonna happen at an outdoor space at a local hotel. Its a duo and they were doing their soundcheck and some dbag was playing Phil Collins on their phone. I had to shout out and shame them to turn that shit off.
I'd be happy to aid and abet if you murdered him.
There were too many witnesses :shifty:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Apparently Dr. Ruth is still alive. She used to be everywhere in the 90s. I assumed she died 20 years ago.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Also, seems like she's very active on Twitter:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So, for the last five weeks or so, we've slowly been having a deck and pergola installed on our lower roof, which can be accessed from our bedroom door. Slowly things have been developing like those home reno shows where things go wrong and the homeowners start snapping (but then love the results at the end). Because of the weight of the pergola, the city said we have to upgrade the supports in the kitchen walls below. But because we didn't know how old the kitchen was, they had to test for asbestos first, which turned up trace amounts. Nothing worrying, but it has to be cleaned out. That is finally happening now. But it means pretty much everything in our kitchen has been moved to other parts of the house and is tarped off. To someone like me, who is addicted to stability and routine, that the rest of the house is looking like we're hoarders is melting my mind. Someday it'll be done and wonderful and all that, but the decision to do this one last big reno project has filled me with regret. :yuck:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 10:05am
So, for the last five weeks or so, we've slowly been having a deck and pergola installed on our lower roof, which can be accessed from our bedroom door. Slowly things have been developing like those home reno shows where things go wrong and the homeowners start snapping (but then love the results at the end). Because of the weight of the pergola, the city said we have to upgrade the supports in the kitchen walls below. But because we didn't know how old the kitchen was, they had to test for asbestos first, which turned up trace amounts. Nothing worrying, but it has to be cleaned out. That is finally happening now. But it means pretty much everything in our kitchen has been moved to other parts of the house and is tarped off. To someone like me, who is addicted to stability and routine, that the rest of the house is looking like we're hoarders is melting my mind. Someday it'll be done and wonderful and all that, but the decision to do this one last big reno project has filled me with regret. :yuck:
omg, you're a cat.

anyway, I can relate. there's something about reno mess that makes me feel depressed.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 10:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
omg, you're a cat.

anyway, I can relate. there's something about reno mess that makes me feel depressed.
I am completely a cat. The cats and I flat-out understand each other.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 11:33am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
omg, you're a cat.

That's what they want you to think.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 11:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 11:33am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
omg, you're a cat.

That's what they want you to think.
:disshame: Then I am truly alone in the universe.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Oh no, sorry to hear about the extra "surprises" Doc. Had something similar happen years ago when we had a plumbing leak, remediation company claimed there were trace amounts of asbestos in the drywall. Having just had our ceilings scraped, I called back the company that did the work and they provided their report, which didn't find anything, so we wound up terminating the remediation company and doing most of the work ourselves. The disruptions of your routine were actually the biggest PITA for us as well, I have a set routine, everything works just fine, don't mess with it, thank you very much!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 4:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Oh no, sorry to hear about the extra "surprises" Doc. Had something similar happen years ago when we had a plumbing leak, remediation company claimed there were trace amounts of asbestos in the drywall. Having just had our ceilings scraped, I called back the company that did the work and they provided their report, which didn't find anything, so we wound up terminating the remediation company and doing most of the work ourselves. The disruptions of your routine were actually the biggest PITA for us as well, I have a set routine, everything works just fine, don't mess with it, thank you very much!
Yup, it's just a fucking endurance test. But the asbestos stuff is done and we have several exposed sections in the kitchen. Some time next week they'll throw in some more supports and eventually fix the drywall. And someday we'll have our home back. Sigh.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Get out the avocado & toast - your boy's just bought a fucking house.

Years of saving for a deposit, moved 200 miles from my London family & home, saved more, got a loan from my wife's grandparents, saved more, waited 8 months through interminable bullshit that fucked the wife's mental health like nobody's business and boom! We own a terraced house in a small town twenty minutes away from Birmingham. Unimaginable dream for my class and generation, only made possible by huge sacrifice and great good luck of knowing people willing to lend us the eye-watering sum required to reach a deposit. Still, fuck the concept of landlordism, we're the masters of our domain. I viewed one (1) house in February and wasn't going to fall into any traps of constant seeking perfection - I liked it and we made the offer then, Time to buy some leopard print purple wall paper and decorate like a haunted sleazy Vegas bachelor pad meets an Irish cottage with a library. We get the keys on my 32nd birthday in four days.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Congratulations James.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Oct 2021, 9:16am

Years of saving for a deposit, moved 200 miles from my London family & home, saved more, got a loan from my wife's grandparents, saved more, waited 8 months through interminable bullshit that fucked the wife's mental health like nobody's business and boom! We own a terraced house in a small town twenty minutes away from Birmingham. Unimaginable dream for my class and generation, only made possible by huge sacrifice and great good luck of knowing people willing to lend us the eye-watering sum required to reach a deposit. Still, fuck the concept of landlordism, we're the masters of our domain. I viewed one (1) house in February and wasn't going to fall into any traps of constant seeking perfection - I liked it and we made the offer then, Time to buy some leopard print purple wall paper and decorate like a haunted sleazy Vegas bachelor pad meets an Irish cottage with a library. We get the keys on my 32nd birthday in four days.
Congrats maj! Now any little issue with the house is yours to deal with!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Oct 2021, 9:16am

Congratulations to you both and welcome to bourgeois scumbaggery!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Congrats, James!